• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: IT Contractor help

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "IT Contractor help"

Collapse

• LisaContractorUmbrella
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    Can't find it on CUK, though I'm sure I remember someone posting a link, but Accounting web seems to think it's OK, although no links to back it up

24 Month Rule - New Employer | AccountingWEB
    IR35 24 month rule | AccountingWEB

The example "Eloise" in 490 where she moves banks specifically says she works for a company controlled by herself.
    I think this might have been it - good find - still think it's wrong though That aside - moving from umbrella to umbrella will definitely not reset the 24 month clock

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
    I vaguely remember it too but I also vaguely remember the point being argued - be interested if you find it - had a quick look but no luck
    Can't find it on CUK, though I'm sure I remember someone posting a link, but Accounting web seems to think it's OK, although no links to back it up

24 Month Rule - New Employer | AccountingWEB
    IR35 24 month rule | AccountingWEB

The example "Eloise" in 490 where she moves banks specifically says she works for a company controlled by herself.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by AMH View Post
    what if you wound up your ltd company & started up a new one?
    It would make no difference. It's about the person and the location.

The only way you get round it is by changing either the person, or the location, or both.

Leave a comment:

• AMH
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    Don't recall that one, nor do I follow the concept. We're talking about taxation on personal income here; where that income comes from is irrelevant.

The only way it would work is if your new employer - note, not client - gave you a new permanent location some distance from your current place of work. I can't see that applying to contractors, or umbrella employees for that matter.
    what if you wound up your ltd company & started up a new one?

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
    I vaguely remember it too but I also vaguely remember the point being argued - be interested if you find it - had a quick look but no luck
    Don't recall that one, nor do I follow the concept. We're talking about taxation on personal income here; where that income comes from is irrelevant.

The only way it would work is if your new employer - note, not client - gave you a new permanent location some distance from your current place of work. I can't see that applying to contractors, or umbrella employees for that matter.

Leave a comment:

• LisaContractorUmbrella
    replied
    I vaguely remember someone posting a HMRC link somewhere that suggested a change of employer (not client) does reset the clock... Will have a google later and see if I can track it down.

Leave a comment:

• AMH
    replied
    I vaguely remember someone posting a HMRC link somewhere that suggested a change of employer (not client) does reset the clock... Will have a google later and see if I can track it down.
    I was under the impression, if you worked in the same area for 2 different companies, then it is classed as continuous & you cant claim expenses.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    The first umbrella is correct. The second umbrella is lying to get your business. They won't be in trouble if HMRC catches you, you will be the one with the fine.

If you don't think that there is much chance of HMRC catching you then you could move anyway.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by pippin123 View Post
    Hello,

the point i'm trying to make is, should this rule not be applied when i've done 24 months ? and not in the pretence, contract work is a contract you can be let go anytime so in this case how do they know i will be 24months ?

in other words come 1st of july 2015 i would have been on this contract for 24 months.

thanks.
    Like I said (several times), as soon as you expect the duration to extend over 24 months - i.e. you have a contract with an end date past that limit - and assuming you spend 40% or more of your time on site, the rule should be applied immediately. If it turns out that doesn't actually happen, then you can claim the tax relief retrospectively. Which is why I said (also several times) you need to continually review your position.

However, always remember the location element. If you get a new gig in the same general area, the rule calculation still applies.

Leave a comment:

• LisaContractorUmbrella
    replied
    Originally posted by pippin123 View Post
    Hello,

the point i'm trying to make is, should this rule not be applied when i've done 24 months ? and not in the pretence, contract work is a contract you can be let go anytime so in this case how do they know i will be 24months ?

in other words come 1st of july 2015 i would have been on this contract for 24 months.

thanks.
    Unfortunately no - at the point at which you are aware that the contract will extend beyond 24 months travel and subsistence expenses are no longer allowable - those are the rules I'm afraid

Leave a comment:

• pippin123
    replied
    Hello,

thanks.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by jjdarg View Post
    So in that case, it looks like it is only on the first contract that she may legitimately consider travel expenses (if she had been working outside of London prior to that, and had no expectation of being continuously working in the City at the time she took the first contract.)

No. Perhaps go and read the sticky on this subject as to why. However, the point the rule applies is when you know for certain or have a reasonable expectation that you will breach the 24 month/greater than 40% parameter. If you have an initial 12 month gig in the City, then two months in Oxford then find yourself back in the City for another 12 month contract, you then immediately exceed the 24 month rule. It's got nothing to so with the original intention.

The point - as it says in the sticky - is that it is a rolling window; you have to reassess it regularly and take the appropriate action.

Leave a comment:

• jjdarg
    replied
    Originally posted by AMH View Post
    Travel expenses: travel for necessary attendance: definitions: temporary workplace: example

explaining the 24 month rule when working in the same area, but for different clients.
    So in that case, it looks like it is only on the first contract that she may legitimately consider travel expenses (if she had been working outside of London prior to that, and had no expectation of being continuously working in the City at the time she took the first contract.)

Leave a comment:

• AMH
    replied
    Travel expenses: travel for necessary attendance: definitions: temporary workplace: example

explaining the 24 month rule when working in the same area, but for different clients.

Leave a comment:

• tractor
    replied

Originally posted by scubadude View Post
    My understanding of the 24 week rule is that would all be fine, but if after the break the contractor starts a new contract with a different client in the same location then they would not be able to claim any expenses for the new contract unless it is in a completely different location (where a location is considered a geographical area) e.g. if previous contract was in London and new contract also in London then a contractor can't continue to claim expenses but if the new contract is in Southampton the contractor can claim expenses (with 24 month rules now being applicable to the new location)
    My understanding is that it's 24 MONTHS.

People giving advice also seem to miss that the criterial is 'beyond 24 months' so 4 contract of 6 months would not take you 'beyond' but a 5th one of course, would provided that the location had not changed materially and within the guidance during that time.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X