• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Got a job offer but......."

Collapse

• tarbera
    replied
    Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    I decided Id test the water and see if I could come out of retirement to supplement the savings pots and work on a semi retired basis. Im beginning to wish I hadnt bothered

Anyhow, had a telephone interview and b*gger me, they've made an offer. Its in the financial industry but they want something called BPSS. Now I've investigated this and as far as I can see BPSS is for Government Depts which this most definitely isnt.

Its financials for a relatively small high street bank. They 'want' Disclosure Scotland (not probs with that) plus 5 years references (WTF happened to 3 years?).

Additionally - Verification of identity (eg. Passport, Visa, Photo Driver Licence). Fair enough that should identify me. But then they also want, - Entitlement to work in the UK (doesnt the passport do this?), - Verification of proof of address (within 3 months) - Address history, for the last 5 years.

Has the world gone mad? WTF do I, a British National have to produce this stuff?

Is it normal to now do BPSS checks any any contract role?
    Telephone interview, put something in the contract that states they cant sack you based on your appearance

Also be prepared to handover bank statements to prove the latest blank period in your CV

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    Originally posted by sal View Post
    Pasport, not UK Passport.

UK passport proves your entitlement to work so you are covered. Indian passport for instance doesn't, so they ask for it separately.
    Haha. Yes I know how to spell 'passport.' Its a fair cop.

Leave a comment:

• Coalman
    replied
    Nuclear industry require BPSS minimum, up to SC for certain things and no government involvement.

Leave a comment:

• Tasslehoff
    replied
    I decided Id test the water and see if I could come out of retirement to supplement the savings pots and work on a semi retired basis. Im beginning to wish I hadnt bothered

Anyhow, had a telephone interview and b*gger me, they've made an offer. Its in the financial industry but they want something called BPSS. Now I've investigated this and as far as I can see BPSS is for Government Depts which this most definitely isnt.

Its financials for a relatively small high street bank. They 'want' Disclosure Scotland (not probs with that) plus 5 years references (WTF happened to 3 years?).

Additionally - Verification of identity (eg. Passport, Visa, Photo Driver Licence). Fair enough that should identify me. But then they also want, - Entitlement to work in the UK (doesnt the passport do this?), - Verification of proof of address (within 3 months) - Address history, for the last 5 years.

Has the world gone mad? WTF do I, a British National have to produce this stuff?

Just starting with a Legal client. My Agency wanted almost exactly this. Was it Lorien?

Leave a comment:

• sal
    replied
    Additionally - Verification of identity (eg. Passport, Visa, Photo Driver Licence). Fair enough that should identify me. But then they also want, - Entitlement to work in the UK (doesnt the passport do this?),
    Pasport, not UK Passport.

UK passport proves your entitlement to work so you are covered. Indian passport for instance doesn't, so they ask for it separately.

Leave a comment:

• turbowoowoo
    replied
    BB I understand your grievance.

Governments used to do BC Basic Check, this was changed to BPSS a while ago which now seems to have filtered through to the private sector.

Just look at it as disclosure Scotland and reference checks.

Crazy world we live in now...

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    I worked 10+ years in the finance industry and BPSS is not standard.
    Tell them that then. Stand your ground and make a difference man!! What are you? A man or a psychocandy?

Who's the recruiting agent btw

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    Originally posted by Boney M View Post
    Standard for the finance industry
    I worked 10+ years in the finance industry and BPSS is not standard.

Leave a comment:

• Boney M
    replied

Standard for the finance industry

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    But BPSS for a non Government client?

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Being a financial company I expect they want to do some enhanced credit checks on you as well. Last time I had a credit check for a financial they certainly asked for the 5 years addresses and the statements less than three months.

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    started a topic Got a job offer but.......

Got a job offer but.......

Working...
X