• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Attending interviews while on contract"

Collapse

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    So you tell them your off on interviews then, do you?
    I refer you to the response I gave some moments ago:

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    I don't look for other contracts when I'm already in one.

If I had to have an interview, then I would do it at lunchtime, after work, or before work in the morning. If your prospective client cannot accommodate that, and your current client is insisting that your company provides services on the dates and times that they are contracted to provide them, then you need to find a way to do that.
    If you genuinely believe that lying to your clients is the sensible course of action, particularly when you've said "I need time off for an interview" and been told no, then I pity your operating model and your clients.

There are always things you can do without needing to resort to such stupidity.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Nothing says "professional" like lying to your client when they know where you are going
    So you tell them your off on interviews then, do you?

Leave a comment:

• CheeseSlice
    replied
    I don't bother. I actually like a little time off at the end of a contract.

...except when it turns into 2 months bench time

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by Boney M View Post
    so when you know your contract is coming to a definite end you dont look? pull the other one
    If you choose not to believe that, then that's up to you.

I once had an agent approach me near the end of a contract and I had an interview at lunch time and got the gig, but I have never looked for a new contract when I am in contract - generally because many of my clients haven't known until late whether they would be looking to extend or not.

Leave a comment:

• Boney M
    replied
    I don't look for other contracts when I'm already in one.
    so when you know your contract is coming to a definite end you dont look? pull the other one

Leave a comment:

• PurpleGorilla
    replied
    Originally posted by tarbera View Post
    Say you need to come in late or go early to pick up your new Porsche
    Great answer 😋

Leave a comment:

• tarbera
    replied
    Originally posted by acnm View Post
    I'm pretty much the oldest one in the office. I get the feeling that the younger managers are all on a bit of a power trip - that and the fact that I seriously more experience than any of them. Given their role / status i'm often surprised at how little they know.
    Say you need to come in late or go early to pick up your new Porsche

Leave a comment:

• turbowoowoo
    replied
    Normally on contracts I manage my own time, therefore I can plan to attend interviews.

I always look for new roles when a gig is coming to its natural end at least 4-6 weeks before it ends. I don't like unplanned down time.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Either explain that you won't be available at a specific time on a specific day, or don't go to interviews until your contract has finished.

It's really not difficult. Continuity of contracts is nice to have, but not to be expected.
    +1 to this.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    No flexibility. Tell them tough tulip got Dr dentist or hospital.
    and they turn around and point out you are leaving contract soon so why not book it then. Stupid suggestion.

Leave a comment:

• acnm
    replied
    Originally posted by Dallas View Post
    If you are on top of or ahead in your tasks why should they care the hours you keep at your desk, sign of management immaturity.
    I'm pretty much the oldest one in the office. I get the feeling that the younger managers are all on a bit of a power trip - that and the fact that I seriously more experience than any of them. Given their role / status i'm often surprised at how little they know.

Leave a comment:

• tractor
    replied

ISTM that the client is saying ok you want time off don't bill for it. Saves them a day's cost.

Accept the fact that you are in business, arrange interviews for the same day if you can and recognise that the loss on income for a few days is a cost of doing business. Too many of us forget that aspect of it all.

Leave a comment:

• Dallas
    replied
    Is your performance based on your ability to man the desks - in which case hello IR35!

If you are on top of or ahead in your tasks why should they care the hours you keep at your desk, sign of management immaturity.

Leave a comment:

• Project Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by acnm View Post
    My current contract is on the outskirts of London - not much else around here so it would be a trip into town.

To put it into perspective I had a doctors appointment last week and arrived at 10.30am and felt like I was being interrogated. I had to go back for some tests on Friday and again yesterday and requested to work from home as I would need to pop out to the doctors (less than a minute from my house) in order to have the tests. Their first response was a flat NO, followed by a 'you can take the days off' followed finally by an agreement when I indicated that the unpaid overtime I've done amounts to several days.

I now have at least one other medical appointment coming up and potential interviews. I can see the manager bursting a blood vessel when I tell him.
    Can't understand why your work is so important to the client, yet they're terminating your contract in (presumably) a few days time.

Is there something else you want to tell us?

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    There should be some give and take by both sides towards the end of a non renewing contract. But taking time out for 3 interviews in one week is imo taking the piss a little too.

If the contract isnt being renewed and you politely inform the client you have an interview lined up and the response is 'no you arent leaving this office unless I say' then, you need to grow a pair and politely point out, yes you will be going. What are they going to do, sack you, give you a tulip reference?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X