• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Forced holiday over Xmas"

Collapse

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by Bunk View Post
    He has nothing to complain about while he's on benefits though, unlike if he's in contract.
    Tell you what that jobcentres scuffy

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    I thought she would be glad for the peace and quiet once you are in a contract after spending so long kicking around the house claiming benefits.
    OK harsh nluk. Year now since I claimed anything.

Leave a comment:

• NickNick
    replied
    Originally posted by Jubber View Post
    Nowadays always take two weeks if I can.

When I was a younger newbie every day off was "look how much money I'm losing"

Now I'm old and warty I like the time off.
    Same here. 53 unbilled days last year in contract. And I enjoyed every single one of em.

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    I thought she would be glad for the peace and quiet once you are in a contract after spending so long kicking around the house claiming benefits.
    He has nothing to complain about while he's on benefits though, unlike if he's in contract.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    My Mrs is the other way. Always trying to get me to take more time off.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by jjdarg View Post
    That more or less happens at my former employer, everyone sent off on compulsory holiday between Christmas and New Year, and it does come out of the bucket. Luckily they had a leave buyback benefit, so you could make up for it if you wanted to forego some salary.

Now, if only I can convince my wife of the benefits of going on holiday. She clearly looks at it (when I want leave) as lost income and it keeps us from making plans. Which means when she does break down and says "I need a holiday" it is a week before, and the only holidays we're left with cost twice what they would have had we planned them.
    My Mrs is the other way. Always trying to get me to take more time off.

Leave a comment:

• Jubber
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Four weeks to find a new contract.....
    Yep - to be honest (Stevie Wonder Boy) I would have walked with the 10% rate cut - 4 weeks off might be nice though ....

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    How about this, yes asked told two weeks .... Increased to four weeks ....
    Four weeks to find a new contract.....

Leave a comment:

• CheeseSlice
    replied
    I've had the two weeks, plus a 10% mandatory rate cut. How's that for an offer?
    You could counter offer that by supergluing the keys together on their keyboard, and leaving a nice fish to decay in their pedestal.

Leave a comment:

• SussexSeagull
    replied
    How about this, yes asked told two weeks .... Increased to four weeks ....
    Somewhat naughty of them then.

Leave a comment:

• Jubber
    replied
    Nowadays always take two weeks if I can.

When I was a younger newbie every day off was "look how much money I'm losing"

Now I'm old and warty I like the time off.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by darrylmg View Post
    The permies spent half the day today, putting up a tree and some tinsel.
    It's called "team building".

For you it's called "client relationship building" if you are dragged into helping them.

Leave a comment:

• darrylmg
    replied
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    +1

Most places I've been at have done this - all FS admittedly.

I can understand them not wanting non essential contractors slacking off and eating mince pies in the office, then claiming full days.
    The permies spent half the day today, putting up a tree and some tinsel.

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    Got to laugh my mammary glands off at contractors who get indignant at being made to take 2 weeks off at Christmas (seriously, who wants to work at Christmas unless its to be paid for doing nowt?) but then get all arsey when client say no to leave at important points in a project.

Myself, I always took time off from around 19 \ 20 December to 5 \ 6 January but then again, I never took time off during contracts.
    +1

Most places I've been at have done this - all FS admittedly.

I can understand them not wanting non essential contractors slacking off and eating mince pies in the office, then claiming full days.

Leave a comment:

• jjdarg
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    My last permie role, the place shut down between Christmas and New Year, and it came out of the 20 days annual holiday. You got a half day on Christmas Eve for free though. Woo.
    That more or less happens at my former employer, everyone sent off on compulsory holiday between Christmas and New Year, and it does come out of the bucket. Luckily they had a leave buyback benefit, so you could make up for it if you wanted to forego some salary.

Now, if only I can convince my wife of the benefits of going on holiday. She clearly looks at it (when I want leave) as lost income and it keeps us from making plans. Which means when she does break down and says "I need a holiday" it is a week before, and the only holidays we're left with cost twice what they would have had we planned them.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X