• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "New public sector contract - worrying points"

Collapse

• CheeseSlice
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    Send a subbie instead.
    Yes thats what should happen, but I think this is where the contract breaks down.

It is understandable for the clientco to want to prevent absence if something important or time-critical is going on with a project, however, its the way they go about this in the contract which I don't think will work.

On one hand they've got a substitution clause, and on the other they have explicit veto power over you (who else could this mean but the worker?) booking holidays and phoning in before 10am on a sick day. If I'm not mistaken, this is a contract going for QDOS IR35 review so must be for a LTD co contractor, and so the worker cannot be a signatory to this. No clientco should have veto powers over an employee of a 3rd party from taking holidays. In a normal consultancy (not a one man band LTD co contracting firm) that would require some kind of variation to an employment contract to be signed between the worker and the consultancy.

IMO - the contract should really be in the context of a service provider providing service, and there needing to be continuity to that service. Not discussing individuals, holidays or sickness. These things can only be internal matters for the service provider.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Batcher View Post
    +1

I don't think the tone of the clauses gives any hope for negotiation. Unless I was desperate and happy to work inside IR35 I would walk away.
    Depends on how you negotiate......

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Must admit that one wouldn't worry me too much. I think the wording is a little harsh but not really unreasonable. A client would be within his rights to say you can't be off during a go live week or something. If it's a problem you negotiate but still pretty unreasonable for you to think you can swan off in a period such as this. Phoning in when you are sick is just plain courtesy. Again, IMO, not unreasonable if client to expect notice early in a day if you can't make it.

I am sure when you get on site things will be different. You will advise you are unavailable for work and he will say OK etc
    Send a subbie instead.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
    I would never ever sign a contract containing a clause like this. This says a lot about how they expect to be able to treat you, like a well behaved little permie.
    Must admit that one wouldn't worry me too much. I think the wording is a little harsh but not really unreasonable. A client would be within his rights to say you can't be off during a go live week or something. If it's a problem you negotiate but still pretty unreasonable for you to think you can swan off in a period such as this. Phoning in when you are sick is just plain courtesy. Again, IMO, not unreasonable if client to expect notice early in a day if you can't make it.

I am sure when you get on site things will be different. You will advise you are unavailable for work and he will say OK etc

Leave a comment:

• Batcher
    replied
    Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
    I would never ever sign a contract containing a clause like this. This says a lot about how they expect to be able to treat you, like a well behaved little permie.
    +1

I don't think the tone of the clauses gives any hope for negotiation. Unless I was desperate and happy to work inside IR35 I would walk away.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by turbowoowoo View Post
    that's good, and a hyperlink as well.

Another veteran welcomes the new members with a patronising reply an example of how best to search the forums, and a link to the thread i was looking for.
    ftfy

hthbivvmdi

Leave a comment:

• CheeseSlice
    replied
    Originally posted by luimneach2005 View Post
    2. They want me to get permission to take days off and to call in before 10am for a sick day

Leave a comment:

• DiscoStu
    replied
    That's good, and a hyperlink as well.

Another veteran welcomes the new members with a patronising reply.
    Perhaps you should familiarise yourself with the rules of behaviour in the professional forums, which include not bypassing the swear filter, as you did in an earlier post.

Here, I'll even give you another hyperlink.

Leave a comment:

• turbowoowoo
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    That's good, and a hyperlink as well.

Another veteran welcomes the new members with a patronising reply.

Leave a comment:

• DiscoStu
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Hi, do you have a link to the post from last week?

I too have a new contract which has similar clauses.

regards
    Here

Leave a comment:

• kal
    replied
    This a very patronising response.

I have used the search function and have found numerous similar posts but asked which post was specific to the OP.

What part of this request warranted a sh1tty response such as yours?

Congrats for being the first self righteous ***** I have met to date on this great forum.
    Really? You clearly haven't been looking hard enough , seriously dude chill out...

Leave a comment:

• turbowoowoo
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Use the search facility or search from Google. If you work in IT these skills are vital to learn as you should be able to work without being spoon fed all the time.
    This a very patronising response.

I have used the search function and have found numerous similar posts but asked which post was specific to the OP.

What part of this request warranted a sh1tty response such as yours?

Congrats for being the first self righteous ***** I have met to date on this great forum.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied

regards
    Use the search facility or search from Google. If you work in IT these skills are vital to learn as you should be able to work without being spoon fed all the time.

Leave a comment:

• turbowoowoo
    replied
    Originally posted by luimneach2005 View Post
    thanks folks - I spotted the one from last week and it looks like the same agency imo. I've found QDOS are fine for reviews though I've never had one like this before!

regards

Leave a comment:

Working...
X