• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: WiPro

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "WiPro"

Collapse

• vadhert
    replied
    I've worked with many Indian guys and girls in quite a few companies.

Some are good.

Some are bad.

Some are a lot better than the locals on blighty.

My gut feeling is the ones working within the big consultancies are usually trapped in manager pleasing bureaucracy however the ones that break free and go contracting are pretty good. They have to be to survive.

Leave a comment:

• gigahoe
    replied
    I have no problem working with Indian guys and have done very successfully in previous roles elsewhere both on site and off shore. On the project I'm on there's about the usual mix of useless people and superstars that I've seen elsewhere. Where they really let themselves down is on repeatable processes and standards. The project I'm on is the type that they have done hundreds of times, but it always seems like we're doing it for the first time as no one can provide standards or templates etc.

They also have the usual issue with an Indian heavy outsourcer where you have a constant churn of resources as they often have to go back for visa reasons. And I've seen them treat their permie guys atrociously.

Anyway, contract ends soon and I've told my agent not to bother with an extension.

Leave a comment:

• SlipTheJab
    replied
    Would never work for an Indian outfit in a million years, have seen the caliber of resource first hand too many times. Outsourcing to eastern Europe seems to produce much better results, is it because of a more aligned cultural fit or does the sheer number of Indian IT bods mean that you are statistically more likely to end up working with muppets?

Leave a comment:

• mickymellon
    replied
    I've worked for them contract (good end client, clueless staff but no problems) and perm (absolutely terrible), the they pay on time (but keep an eye on them as people were apparently stiffed for bonuses), otherwise the worst tuliphole you will ever experience - avoid and take everything they say with a lorry of salt.

Leave a comment:

• Encona Lover
    replied
    Hi all, first post here.

Not saying to avoid them unconditionally, but did a few months with them last year, project was total tail-chasing, tick-box exercise. Managers were utter morons, spent half my time on the phone with my line Manager shouting at me, the other half of my phone time shouting back. I'd say its good if it breaks a long spell out of contract, but otherwise I'd avoid.

Nothing against Indians per se mind, however you need to figure these fellas are out of what is still basically a poor nation, while a 400 mil project is nothing to be sniffed at by anyone, to these guys it's a quantum-leap. Therefore they expect a slavish attitude to the work. Got a snarky, "Hey dude this is not a government office" when I left the office at 5 sharp from said manager - that hypocrite 2 months earlier had stood up in front of the entire project (about 50) guys to lecture us on office etiquette, arriving and leaving on time inc.

Invoices signed off (usually) on time, however they and expenses all go through a portal, some bod in India signed off mine. Expect expenses however to be paid about 60-90 days behind. Also, amazingly, they have a 'no-flights' policy (which no bugger told me about in advance), so very nearly lost out on reimbursements for 2 flights. As they gave me such pain I told them I'd travel by train during working hours, nice days billing watching the German countryside whoosh by, lol !!

Leave a comment:

• Elliegirl
    replied
    Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
    If your manager or his manager is Indian NO
    Charming!!

Leave a comment:

• Sausage Surprise
    replied
    If you contract through them they'll bleed you dry for knowledge over 3-6 months then offer you permie. Most refuse and move on IME

Leave a comment:

• FatLazyContractor
    replied
    Originally posted by gigahoe View Post
    I've been with them for 6 months now,
    Congratulations. You are probably the most patient man/woman on the continent

Take a bow and a banana

Leave a comment:

• gigahoe
    replied
    I've been with them for 6 months now, in NL. Wouldn't recommend.
    Organisation is a shambles, and almost all key resources come from India for the project. The issue with this is that they're often fighting internally about what Visa to get (short term means they get more money, long term means they are allowed to bring family which the company will pay for) and therefore you quite often get guys coming over, getting up to speed and then going back after a month or so, sometimes to be replaced or to wait for the next visa that can be applied for.
    It's not helped by the fact we're on a loss leading account (trying to break into a new industry) so all the resources are apparently a grade lower than you'd usually find in their positions.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
    If your manager or his manager is Indian NO
    FFS, and you were accusing others of racism.

Leave a comment:

• SussexSeagull
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    With them as in contracted to them or worked with them as in they were also a supplier to the client?
    I was brought in by the end client to test on a couple of projects Wipro were doing everything else on. Without doubt the worst group of people I have ever had dealings with for missing deadlines and giving no warning it was about to happen or explanation as to why.

Lost my temper with them a couple of times after they kept on getting in touch after my contract had finished.

All I imagine is they must be very cheap.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    With them as in contracted to them or worked with them as in they were also a supplier to the client?

Leave a comment:

• SussexSeagull
    replied
    Worked with them on a project and if not the biggest waste of space I have ever had the misfortune of having to work with, definitely top three.

Leave a comment:

• CoolCat
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Go ahead and see what they have to offer. It's bloody awful dealing with these companies when the arrive en masse on your clients site. Army of Indians and a few non-indian managers but actually speaking to the English guys that work for them (and Cognizant) they don't seem to fussed. It's not like they are all miserable, getting awful work and being seriously underpaid. They've got careers and don't seem to be actively looking so it can't be that bad. No idea about internal politics, training, career progression but have worked with Cog permies from developer to programme management and they seem happy in their roles.

When you go see them interview them back to see if it's what you want.

What I don't know about and I would be asking about is their bench policies. If you are benched what security do you have? Will they bin you after x months of being benched or will the expect you to travel the world for your next gig etc.
    Lets just say these companies have rather large bills from their employment lawyers, and have a rather large number of ex staff who know what they are like but are bound by compromise agreements to say nothing. Re "No idea about" I know in detail and I would say stay clear of both companies. I am sure some of the slaves on the slave ships smiled and seemed happy, this is little different.

Leave a comment:

• oliverson
    replied
    yes, I worked on a project at LTSB and they brought them in towards the end to pick up the project after it went live. Apparently they sent through the CV's of their developers for vetting and they claimed to have this obscure skillset (Gupta or something), yet when they turned up onsite they claimed that they'd just been put on a training course! To be fair the developers, while hugely inexperienced, were ok people but the managers weren't. There was an Aussie contractor who was brought in and managed by them. He had real problems getting his timesheet signed. They were claiming he had a 15 minute break 3 days ago or something. Watching him like a hawk he felt.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X