• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Rejoice - Boris Has united Leavers and Remainers"

Collapse

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    I thought it was the New Lie who put restrictions on demonstrations in Parliament square first?

Not suggesting Boris's further meddling is good but where were you 20 years ago?
    Probably drunk or hung over unless it was mid-week.

I had also not long left my university town where people on the fringes of my social circle were environmental campaigners who thought it was fun to chain themselves to trees. Loads of them tidied themselves up and then went to work for financial institutions.....

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    I thought it was the New Lie who put restrictions on demonstrations in Parliament square first?

Not suggesting Boris's further meddling is good but where were you 20 years ago?

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    By my count that's 4 people who disagree on one issue, but agree on another issue. Only the Graun could make this a story.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    started a topic Rejoice - Boris Has united Leavers and Remainers

Rejoice - Boris Has united Leavers and Remainers

Boris achieves something at last...

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-politics-live

After Brexit Boris Johnson said that he wanted to bring the country together. In one sense he has achieved his aim today because a prominent leave campaigner has united with a prominent remain campaigner in signing an open letter criticising the provisions on demonstrations in the police, crime, sentencing and courts bill.

Richard Tice, a founder of Leave Means Leave and leader of what is now the Reform party (formerly the Brexit party) and Naomi Smith, head of Best for Britain (which opposed Brexit), have both signed the letter that says:

As long as laws are made in parliament, then British people must have a legal right to protest them in Parliament Square. Democracy is not an ‘inconvenience’. Public opposition and dissent are among the hard-won rights that make our democratic and like-minded groups.
    This bill seeks to silence British people when avenues to express dissatisfaction and opposition by members of the public are already limited. In a democracy, the role of government and the police should be to facilitate the organisation of demonstrations such that people are able to participate safely and legally whilst making their voices heard. This bill does precisely the opposite, and provides no route of appeal or challenge either in law or otherwise.

Seeking to limit noise levels so people cannot be heard, and preventing people from assembling outside parliament so they cannot be seen - these are the words and actions of authoritarians.
    Our organisations may have different political views, but we stand shoulder to shoulder to defend our right to express these views be it by peaceful political protest or other peaceful means.

The letter has also been signed by Tom Brufatto, former organiser of the People’s Vote demonstrations, and Anna Bird, head of the European Movement UK.

Working...
X