• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "UK banks closing expat's accounts"

Collapse

• NotAllThere
    replied
    HSBC and their subsidiaries state on their website that nothing will change for their customers after Brexit.

Leave a comment:

• Eirikur
    replied
    Originally posted by zerosum View Post
    In many countries (certainly all of the Schengen states) to get a work permit requires going through an immigration process and interview at a consulate or embassy not in the country you intend to work in. Not sure the distinction works.
    Not for immigrants from other EU countries, but soon, from Jan 1st, for Brits who want to work in the EU

Leave a comment:

• zerosum
    replied
    Originally posted by Brussels Slumdog View Post
    A expat either requires only a work visa or is exempt from visa requirements. Immigrants need to go through an actual immigration process before even before being allowed to live and work in the host country .
    Sent from my SM-A320FL using Contractor UK Forum mobile app
    In many countries (certainly all of the Schengen states) to get a work permit requires going through an immigration process and interview at a consulate or embassy not in the country you intend to work in. Not sure the distinction works.

Leave a comment:

• Brussels Slumdog
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    Remind me again why a Brit living abroad is an ex-pat and not an immigrant?!
    A expat either requires only a work visa or is exempt from visa requirements. Immigrants need to go through an actual immigration process before even before being allowed to live and work in the host country .
    It also depends on the host country.Some countries like the Gulf states don't accept immigrants. Indians would probably like to immigrate to Dubai but can't so they remain expats there all their life.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Contractor UK Forum mobile app

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    Do you remember these?
    Didn't really get to live in the UK until after decimalisation. Just got my book out and the first deposit was in May 1974 of 2 pounds and 10 pence and got up to the grand sum of 228 pounds in 1982. The last entry was a withdrawal in 1983...

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    Will this affect my Post Office Savings account (all GBP1,18p of it)....
    Do you remember these?

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by Mordac View Post
    An 'ex-pat' means your native country would happily have you back, an 'immigrant' means your adopted country is willing to let you stay permanently. One could of course fit into neither category...
    And I'm in both - but I'm still not coming back.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by Mordac View Post
    An 'ex-pat' means your native country would happily have you back, an 'immigrant' means your adopted country is willing to let you stay permanently. One could of course fit into neither category...

For example...
    Pollution is the correct term.

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    I'm neither.
    For example...

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    I'm neither.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
    I just checked and someone has ripped out several of the front and back pages of my dictionary.

It just goes from bad to worse.
    Oh the pain.

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    In terms of the UK, I'm an emigrant. In terms of Ireland, I'm an immigrant. I wouldn't describe myself as an expat as I don't intend to return to the UK.
    Finally, some good news...

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    In terms of the UK, I'm an emigrant. In terms of Ireland, I'm an immigrant. I wouldn't describe myself as an expat as I don't intend to return to the UK.

Leave a comment:

• zerosum
    replied
    The correct term is now refugee.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by zerosum View Post
    They do have e.g. a borderless (business and personal) account for dealing with money in other currencies so TransferWise has outgrown their name, really.

It may also be the only option in the short term if you're caught by a UK bank closing and haven't built up sufficient proofs to open an account in the country you're moving to, or don't trust the local banking system (Cyprus )
    That's what I was thinking of, the borderless account (it's great), but you need to treat it like a transfer service and not leave money there, for precisely the reason you mention - no FSCS protection.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X