• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "1973 Nightmare (my experience of a Brexit)"

Collapse

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by canoas View Post
    Different place indeed, the global economy has changed dramatically on how business works. However if you look at the basics of how economies work, I have no doubt prices will go up for food and also medicine etc, also I think car plants will start closing unless this is a specific guarantees for each car maker, otherwise it makes no sense to stay in UK and transfer operations to EU free market. I predict there will be a ton of job losses unless there is a good EU deal.

Also what worries me is UK is Services that makes up the UK economy so that is troublesome. Financial Services makes up 23% of GDP if there is a failure here that is serious.

I'm staying positive though but the whole point of this is that it will no make us richer but poorer IMO, it's all about economy. I think in 20 years it could be back to normal but that's a big price to pay to the younger generation.
    Keep staying positive, so far it's been a blast.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Explains why they can only afford pay as you go...

Sent from my Boris

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    You don't need a contract. That is so 1999. Get with the now.

Why or why do you need to have a credit check to make a phone call? I know of very few Germans that accept this intrusion into their personal lives.
    Arse

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    Mmmm, every German (and other nationality here) I know has a contract apart from kiddies and the unemployed I'm afraid
    Scooter has his arse handed to him on a plate.

Interesting, most of the folks I know of here in München don't bother with a contract. They see a new phone, they buy it outright. Most of their calls are through app services like Whatsapp rather than a phone number.

Phone number will not exist in 10-15 years. UK seem to be going full JRM on the technology front.
    Starts backpedalling and trying to change the subject.

I get a free new one every 2 years but then again, people in Munich ...
    Clarity offered...

If you're paying for a contract it's not free.

Yes.. people in Munich. Cold rent for 80sq you'd be fortunate to find something under €3500 these days.
    Changes the subject again...

Scoots, you're an abject failure.

Just saying...

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    If you're paying for a contract it's not free.

Yes.. people in Munich. Cold rent for 80sq you'd be fortunate to find something under €3500 these days.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Interesting, most of the folks I know of here in München don't bother with a contract. They see a new phone, they buy it outright. Most of their calls are through app services like Whatsapp rather than a phone number.

Phone number will not exist in 10-15 years. UK seem to be going full JRM on the technology front.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied

Why or why do you need to have a credit check to make a phone call? I know of very few Germans that accept this intrusion into their personal lives.
    Mmmm, every German (and other nationality here) I know has a contract apart from kiddies and the unemployed I'm afraid

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied
    Mobile phone contracts are for poor people who can't afford a mobile and are yet happy to have their spending habits on said contract recorded in their credit history.

No thanks.
    aye, - right!

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
    So your provider doesn't trust you to pay a monthly bill.
    Mobile phone contracts are for poor people who can't afford a mobile and are yet happy to have their spending habits on said contract recorded in their credit history.

No thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    From the article

In other words the government gives private companies permission to charge you to the limit. Bend over hun, you'll not be smiling then.

Travelled to Austria at the weekend. €37 credit on my phone before journey. After a number of facebook , youtube, browsing, e-mailing checking... my credit is now..... €36.65
    You suggesting oPM didn't read the article again, and only looked at the headlines? Shirley not?!?

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied
    From the article

In other words the government gives private companies permission to charge you to the limit. Bend over hun, you'll not be smiling then.

Travelled to Austria at the weekend. €37 credit on my phone before journey. After a number of facebook , youtube, browsing, e-mailing checking... my credit is now..... €36.65
    So your provider doesn't trust you to pay a monthly bill.

No surprise there, then.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied

From the article

If nothing is agreed then mobile operators would be able to implement roaming charges after the end of the transition period.

But the government has passed legislation that would provide some safeguards to consumers:

A £45-a-month limit on the amount that customers could be charged for using mobile data abroad before having to opt into further use
    Requirements for customers to be informed when they have reached 80% and 100% of their data allowances

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Originally posted by hairymouse View Post
    I think it was straight bananas and a required warning on a packet of balloons to "keep out of reach of children". I'm really looking forward to seeng those new packages without those stupid warnings. And paying mobile phone roaming charges while on holiday.
    Yeah but no

Mobile roaming: What will happen to charges after Brexit? - BBC News

Leave a comment:

• canoas
    replied
    Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    NZ in the 70's comparable with UK in 2020? Not only are they different economies, in most ways including scale, the world is a different place, more open.
    Different place indeed, the global economy has changed dramatically on how business works. However if you look at the basics of how economies work, I have no doubt prices will go up for food and also medicine etc, also I think car plants will start closing unless this is a specific guarantees for each car maker, otherwise it makes no sense to stay in UK and transfer operations to EU free market. I predict there will be a ton of job losses unless there is a good EU deal.

Also what worries me is UK is Services that makes up the UK economy so that is troublesome. Financial Services makes up 23% of GDP if there is a failure here that is serious.

I'm staying positive though but the whole point of this is that it will no make us richer but poorer IMO, it's all about economy. I think in 20 years it could be back to normal but that's a big price to pay to the younger generation.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X