• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Economics

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Economics"

Collapse

• meridian
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    You know - I think this may have something to do with the fact that they are 'travelling the world' and need jobs to fund that...

If you only work in the UK you are probably not doing as much traveling as you would like - obviously if you get to a farm in Australia then you are travelling.

So I think the people who do go work on farms in Australia are not the sort of the people who would actually see fruit picking in the UK as a career they would pursue.
    Like a stopped clock, you’ve inadvertently hit the right answer for a change. In Australia, for example, seasonal work such as fruit picking requires a high demand of numbers of people for a short defined period. For Brit backpackers Oz offers an additional year on the working holiday visa if they do three months farm work.

With this in mind, what do you think the solution should be for seasonal workers required for U.K. growers?

And what do you think of the argument that getting rid of cheap EU labour will mean that U.K. people will take up that slack?

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
    Don't bring logic and reason into this. Remember your audience.
    There was no reason or logic in oPM's post, a 'career' in fruit picking!

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    You know - I think this may have something to do with the fact that they are 'travelling the world' and need jobs to fund that...

If you only work in the UK you are probably not doing as much traveling as you would like - obviously if you get to a farm in Australia then you are travelling.

So I think the people who do go work on farms in Australia are not the sort of the people who would actually see fruit picking in the UK as a career they would pursue.
    Don't bring logic and reason into this. Remember your audience.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Originally posted by Brussels Slumdog View Post
    I picked bananas on a kibbutz, grapes in France when I was young as it was an adventure.
    I would not have picked fruit in the UK.
    Maybe a lot of EU workers come to the UK to pick fruit and other low paid jobs to practice their English.
    The English are quite prepared to go to australia and work on farms but wouldn't dream of picking fruit in the UK.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Contractor UK Forum mobile app

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post

Agent on the phone last week offering a job in Bristol that was just a fraction above that I charged in 2008. Of course it was a 11 year high! All 3% extra

Ludicrous.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Daily wail alternative headline:

Given the earth is 4.543 billion years old, 50 year debt pile is a rounding error.

Leave a comment:

• Brussels Slumdog
    replied
    I picked bananas on a kibbutz, grapes in France when I was young as it was an adventure.
    I would not have picked fruit in the UK.
    Maybe a lot of EU workers come to the UK to pick fruit and other low paid jobs to practice their English.
    The English are quite prepared to go to australia and work on farms but wouldn't dream of picking fruit in the UK.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Contractor UK Forum mobile app

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
    It's still better than France.
    The french are detestable.

I'm glad they made a word for themselves.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    The BBC seems to spend a lot of time commenting on Paul Johnson's fantastic insights.

Never seems to question him on his bulltulip.

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied
    Originally posted by The Article
    The think tank said borrowing was likely to rise to £100bn and total debt would soar to 90% of national income.
    It's still better than France.

Grand scheme of things when you're already $8 trillion in debt £100bn is small change.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied

"The government is now adrift without any effective fiscal anchor," said IFS director Paul Johnson.

IFS warns of biggest squeeze on pay for 70 years over Brexit | Business | The Guardian
    UK faces two decades of no earnings growth and more austerity, says IFS | Business | The Guardian

UK pay growth rises to 3.1%, the highest in almost a decade | Business | The Guardian

UK wage growth fastest for nearly 10 years - BBC News

UK wage growth picks up to 11-year high - BBC News

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    No-deal Brexit would push UK debt to 50-year high, says think tank - BBC News

Leave a comment:

• DealorNoDeal
    replied
    This was discussed on Farming Today a while back. Farmers were anticipating the supply of pickers from the EU to dry up fairly soon anyway due to improvements back in their home countries. Brexit, and especially the fall in the £, has just accelerated this. They are counting on the Govt allowing them to hire temporary workers from other countries. Spanish farmers use (exploit) African workers.

Exploited to put food on our plates: ‘we live like animals’ – Channel 4 News

Leave a comment:

• Gibbon
    replied
    Originally posted by meridian View Post
    What I’m trying to get at in this thread, though, is that change will need to be systemic to avoid short-term issues - employees, growers, tech providers, supermarkets, etc will all face short term challenges if the government shuts off the base supply of workers with no transition to allow people to adjust.
    I agree, but I doubt it will bear fruition

Leave a comment:

• meridian
    replied
    Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
    'skilled raspberry pickers' ? I used to do it in the school holidays, no skill required.

Wage increase is only one factor, at the moment its cheap enough not to invest, even though investing would in the long term make more sense.
    Exactly my point. It’s minimum wage work and is unlikely to ever be more than that. Brits won’t do it. And while it’s minimum wage work with enough foreign temporary workers to do it, there’s little incentive to change.

Remove the workers, and either wages need to go up to attract pickers, or product goes to waste on the ground. Either way, as I said, an increase in prices and growers going out of business.

The business' should see this coming and the ones that do will survive, yes the others will go under or adapt, that's how progress works, not everyone doing the same thing they've always done. Progress requires some chaos and churn.
    I don’t disagree, they will be slow to react and spend more energy in trying to retain the status quo rather than investigating and implementing alternative solutions.

What I’m trying to get at in this thread, though, is that change will need to be systemic to avoid short-term issues - employees, growers, tech providers, supermarkets, etc will all face short term challenges if the government shuts off the base supply of workers with no transition to allow people to adjust.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X