• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Supreme court prorogation hearing verdict."

Collapse

• Hobosapien
    replied
    Supreme Court rule that parliament is not suspended and must return.

MPs call for parliament to be suspended so they can finish the party conferences.

Opposition call for Boris to resign.

Opposition won't call vote of no confidence as they can't agree who to take charge, they won't support Corbyn.

Labour don't want a General Election under the pretence that it is due to being what Boris wants, but really they know even after today that they are unlikely to win.

Labour, under control of Momentum, won't replace Corbyn so they have a chance of winning a General Election.

Boris stays, Queen keeps quiet, all carries on as before.

So what will happen?

Boris gets a new WA deal where he throws DUP under the bus for a backstop in the Irish Sea, parliament vote for it (plenty of time now they are back sooner than expected ) as EU say it's that deal or no deal. Brexit delivered by 31st October. Everyone sighs in relief and life goes on.

There's a lot of noise about nothing. The plan is still working for Boris.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by Mordac View Post
    I heard Corbyn on the radio demanding that Parliament be recalled, and assumed he knew what he was talking about...
    Yes, easy to see where your mistake came.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by Mordac View Post
    I have a time machine and I have seen the future. Or I'm just guessing, based on the last 3 years. It's definitely one of those...
    A cretin's guess. As I suspected.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    I don't see a benefit now. May's WA can't go for a 4th vote, because the current session of Parliament continues. A GE is what's needed, he'll campaign for leave, will win, can then leave when he wants, cancelling any extension he's been forced by Parliament to ask for. Bosh!
    And furthermore, why delay a GE... Parliament can't force him to negotiate a better deal: he has no leverage now his no-deal threat is disarmed anyway. He can ask for an extension (as legally required) then do exactly nothing, and justifiably: the EU said the deal isn't open for re-negotiation, parliament had 3 goes to pass it and didn't, so it's stalemate, I think.

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    I don't see a benefit now. May's WA can't go for a 4th vote, because the current session of Parliament continues. A GE is what's needed, he'll campaign for leave, will win, can then leave when he wants, cancelling any extension he's been forced by Parliament to ask for. Bosh!
    It's certainly one way of getting the General Election.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    He might try to prorogue it again. He shouldn't - but he might be mad enough....

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    Just seen that he's taking the overnight and will be there, should be interesting tomorrow in Parliament
    He might try to prorogue it again. He shouldn't - but he might be mad enough....

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    As both NickFitz and now John Bercow have said, it will not be recalled as it was never properly prorogued. They will be sitting at 11:30 tomorrow however it seems that one person won't be there
    Just seen that he's taking the overnight and will be there, should be interesting tomorrow in Parliament

Leave a comment:

• BlueSharp
    replied
    Parliament will sit at 11:30 tomorrow, just in time for PMQ (well not PMQ, but only urgent questions, like why are you trying to subvert democracy, and where is the easiest deal in history?).

Last edited by BlueSharp; 24 September 2019, 12:18.

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    It's not recalling itself. The Supreme Court ruled that it was never prorogued in the first place. So Parliament never ceased to be in session, and they need to get back to work.
    My apologies, I heard Corbyn on the radio demanding that Parliament be recalled, and assumed he knew what he was talking about...

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    I see those ******* at Leave.eu have started. Leavers allegedly desperate to preserve the traditions of our democracy fail to recognise that today is a stunning triumph for democracy. The Supreme Court defended the supremacy of parliament as set out in the Bill of Rights 1689. Parliamentary sovereignty was rightly defended today, as it is the proper role of the court to do."

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    How do you know what it will achieve?
    I have a time machine and I have seen the future. Or I'm just guessing, based on the last 3 years. It's definitely one of those...

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    It is when it comes to your posts.
    Try and hide your envy. You're embarrassing yourself.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    It is when it comes to your posts.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    And for those with limited attention spans here is the summary judgement, only 4 pages.

https://www.supremecourt.uk/cases/do...92-summary.pdf
    And for those with even shorter attention spans, the Mash version.

Boris Johnson beaten like a F*****g Gong

Leave a comment:

Working...
X