• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "A second referendum"

Collapse

• Zigenare
    replied
    Originally posted by Scruff View Post
    !!אשתו של גרג הזקן נמצאת בכנסייה
    Unfortunately she isn't kneeling before his coffin!

Leave a comment:

• Scruff
    replied
    !!אשתו של גרג הזקן נמצאת בכנסייה

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
    On foreign languages, it's very like me to be wrong. I lived in Amsterdam for several years and I could probably count on two hands the number of Dutch words I know. Coincidentally, most of them involve Old Greg's wife too.
    The Dutch speak better English than most English people (and all Scots & Welsh). Coincidentally, OG's wife tried working in Amsterdam for a while, but someone kept drawing the curtains...

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    'de' before a vowel is incorrect.
    Nope. For a name pronounced in the English fashion, there is no elide. "... de 'Old Greg'..." you see.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    Not like you to be wrong?
    On foreign languages, it's very like me to be wrong. I lived in Amsterdam for several years and I could probably count on two hands the number of Dutch words I know. Coincidentally, most of them involve Old Greg's wife too.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Old Gregs Fraa is e Hündin inde Kirsch.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    NAT has corrected my rudimentary Franglais.
    'de' before a vowel is incorrect.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Not like you to be wrong?

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    And once more, in dialect. "Old Gregs Frau isch e Hündin i dr Kirche." Not so different. It's a bit like speaking High German with a Brummie accent.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    La femme d'Old Greg est une chienne d'église. Something like that, right?

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by Mordac View Post
    Not bitter in the slightest, I don't enjoy living in hotels, no matter where they might be. About a month is my absolute limit. I am slightly annoyed that it's so much easier for EU citizens to work in the UK than it is for UK citizens to work in most of the EU.
    I can work anywhere in the EU with absolutely no problems even when using my UK passport although it's much more convenient and politically better to use the German one....

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    La femme du Old Greg est un chien d'église. Something like that, right?
    La femme de Old Greg est une chienne dans l'église.
    Old Gregs Frau ist eine Hündin in der Kirche.

While you can get a job only speaking English in Switzerland, you've a far better of chance of staying in work if you speak the local language. I already speak French and German - now I'm learning the local dialect. It can be a bit weird. The word for wristwatch is Gellereti - from the French "Quelle heure et-il?".

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Close enough. You are Rene Descartes and I claim my €5...

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by Mordac View Post
    "the dog is in the church" in French

Leave a comment:

Working...
X