• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Raab gone

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Raab gone"

Collapse

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    I hope for Mark's sake that this is not the same Boris Johnson who said the EU were banning prawn cocktail crisps.
    That was lying to public.

Boris is expected to do that again.

Crossing people like Mark is not the option here and Boris knows it.

Expect DOOM

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    But, but....

Don't forget that Francois is an 'ard geezer and won't take very nicely to being betrayed...Johnson doesn't give a tulip about anyone or anything but himself. He'll do whatever to cover himself in glory so expect to see big bollock talking, u-turns and lies...
    I hope for Mark's sake that this is not the same Boris Johnson who said the EU were banning prawn cocktail crisps.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    I seem to remember it was impossible to stop the UK leaving at the end of March. Ultimately parliament is sovereign. They will sort out a procedure if needed. It's more likely that Johnson will sell the ERG down the river.
    But, but....

Mark Francois has told Sky News this evening that Johnson has promised the hard Brexit-supporting ERG, of which Francois is vice chairman, that Brexit will happen on 31 October “come hell or high water” if he becomes prime minister.
    Don't forget that Francois is an 'ard geezer and won't take very nicely to being betrayed...Johnson doesn't give a tulip about anyone or anything but himself. He'll do whatever to cover himself in glory so expect to see big bollock talking, u-turns and lies...

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
    Your faith in those 650 people is touching. I trust them for nothing.

Parliament will do whatever its members decide is in their best interest. Even Grieve admitted he's out of ideas. The only way they'll stop No Deal is to rescind Article 50 (they won't) or pass a vote of no confidence. The latter might happen but I don't consider it likely.

If there is a vote of no confidence there will be a General Election and Boris will run on a No Deal platform and agree an Electoral Pact with Farage. And they will win because the Lib Dums, the Greens, and Labour will divide the Remain vote in enough constituencies that they'll win a majority. And we'll then have a WTO Brexit under a BoJo/Nigel coalition of chaos that won't be able to govern anything even with their big majority. And there will probably be another election not long after Brexit happens.

That's what I think will happen if a no-confidence vote passes. And I suspect people like Kenneth Clarke know it is the most likely outcome, and so will be slow to vote no-confidence -- so I'm just not so sure there will be such a no-confidence vote.

I certainly would expect MPs to pass something requiring BoJo to ask for an extension. And he'll send Raab off to Brussels to ask for it and the answer will be no, and so we'll have No Deal. But I don't think that passel of self-serving cowards in Westminster has the courage to do anything that would really block No Deal if a PM is determined to Brexit and the EU is determined not to move. They'll make all the noises about blocking it but they won't risk their lovely seats in Westminster for it. I could be wrong. But I do have some money down to mitigate my losses if we get No Deal because I still expect that to happen.
    I seem to remember it was impossible to stop the UK leaving at the end of March. Ultimately parliament is sovereign. They will sort out a procedure if needed. It's more likely that Johnson will sell the ERG down the river.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    I agree. I just wish they would stop being dishonest and tell the UK we are staying in the EU.
    It's more fun to keep the gammons hoping.

Leave a comment:

• Eirikur
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Why on PMQs they don’t do it under oath like in court?
    They take an oath when they pick up their seat in parliament. It's worthless

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Why on PMQs they don’t do it under oath like in court?

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Total tossers, no wonder Brexit is the cluster**** it is:

“That’s what politicians do"

Bob Stewart says he is not worried that Boris Johnson seems to say one thing to some MPs, and another thing to others

He says in some cases it “could be” lying – but politicians call it being “economical with the truth"

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    no it doesn't work like that, you have to let them try and wear themselves out.

Ah yes. Negotiation.

The art of letting the other side have your way.....

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    I agree. I just wish they would stop being dishonest and tell the UK we are staying in the EU.
    no it doesn't work like that, you have to let them try and wear themselves out.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Parliament will stop No Deal.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Lots of "no deal" bravado in the Brexit community. It reminds me of the aftermath of June 2016.

June 2016 seems such a longtime ago.

Leave a comment:

• WordIsBond
    replied
    Your faith in those 650 people is touching. I trust them for nothing.

Parliament will do whatever its members decide is in their best interest. Even Grieve admitted he's out of ideas. The only way they'll stop No Deal is to rescind Article 50 (they won't) or pass a vote of no confidence. The latter might happen but I don't consider it likely.

If there is a vote of no confidence there will be a General Election and Boris will run on a No Deal platform and agree an Electoral Pact with Farage. And they will win because the Lib Dums, the Greens, and Labour will divide the Remain vote in enough constituencies that they'll win a majority. And we'll then have a WTO Brexit under a BoJo/Nigel coalition of chaos that won't be able to govern anything even with their big majority. And there will probably be another election not long after Brexit happens.

That's what I think will happen if a no-confidence vote passes. And I suspect people like Kenneth Clarke know it is the most likely outcome, and so will be slow to vote no-confidence -- so I'm just not so sure there will be such a no-confidence vote.

I certainly would expect MPs to pass something requiring BoJo to ask for an extension. And he'll send Raab off to Brussels to ask for it and the answer will be no, and so we'll have No Deal. But I don't think that passel of self-serving cowards in Westminster has the courage to do anything that would really block No Deal if a PM is determined to Brexit and the EU is determined not to move. They'll make all the noises about blocking it but they won't risk their lovely seats in Westminster for it. I could be wrong. But I do have some money down to mitigate my losses if we get No Deal because I still expect that to happen.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
    I'm not sure I suggested the EU should do anything else. I just said what I think will happen, which is not what I wish would happen.

I suspect there will eventually be a parliament, this one or another one, that will be able to agree to coherent proposals, and that the EU will come to the point of agreeing some reasonable approach even if it doesn't exactly match their current approach. I suspect that we'll have to put up with a period of 'no deal' first to concentrate minds on both sides of the channel, but that it probably will happen within two years.

Leave a comment:

• WordIsBond
    replied
    So what else is the EU to do in the face of a failing state?
    I'm not sure I suggested the EU should do anything else. I just said what I think will happen, which is not what I wish would happen.

I suspect there will eventually be a parliament, this one or another one, that will be able to agree to coherent proposals, and that the EU will come to the point of agreeing some reasonable approach even if it doesn't exactly match their current approach. I suspect that we'll have to put up with a period of 'no deal' first to concentrate minds on both sides of the channel, but that it probably will happen within two years.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X