• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Car boom!

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Car boom!"

Collapse

• JohntheBike
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Oh yes. The thing that claims to represent Wales while ignoring most of it.
    yes

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
    you forget about the existence now of the Welsh Assembly.
    Oh yes. The thing that claims to represent Wales while ignoring most of it.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    Why not dam the valleys and make a few big hydro power stations - a lot cleaner than having French-run, Chinese-financed nuclear reactors.
    Because that would spoil the view.

The Welsh expect to all have high speed broadband. And have well paid worthwhile jobs.

One can only conclude Welsh addles the brain.

Leave a comment:

• JohntheBike
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    Why not dam the valleys and make a few big hydro power stations - a lot cleaner than having French-run, Chinese-financed nuclear reactors.
    you forget about the existence now of the Welsh Assembly.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied

Leave a comment:

• JohntheBike
    replied
    Hardly slaves when they are a major drain on the UK.

Soon the UK will no longer be able to afford to prop up Wales, NI or Scotland.
    but the hard underpaid labour of the Welsh miners in the Victorian era fuelled this country's World wide imperialistic ambitions. The fact we only supply water now, should not be to our detriment. The UK now has a large Asian population not entirely unrelated to the UK's imperialistic activities on the Indian subcontinent. The UK now has to bear the consequences of its previous activities in the Victorian era.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    great haddock and chips with mushy peas, the accoutrements were well shaped also!

Hadn't realised that Longshanks had built the castle and walls in a little over 4 years. Welsh slave labour again I suppose!
    Hardly slaves when they are a major drain on the UK.

Soon the UK will no longer be able to afford to prop up Wales, NI or Scotland.

Leave a comment:

• JohntheBike
    replied
    I do know it.

I shall get a gang of local yobs to prepare the defences.
    great haddock and chips with mushy peas, the accoutrements were well shaped also!

Hadn't realised that Longshanks had built the castle and walls in a little over 4 years. Welsh slave labour again I suppose!

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    They should still be using Merc AMG engines - would be fun when tariffs kick in

Leave a comment:

• JohntheBike
    replied
    Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
    No mate, it's 'cos they're all a bunch of **nts! And that isn't going to change any time soon.

Hth.
    well, I was being out of character and being generous to them.

Leave a comment:

• JohntheBike
    replied
    I do know it.

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied
    "the lack of support to North Wales from Cardiff government is amazing"

I guess that might be a legacy of our Welsh history and will probably take some generations to rectify.
    No mate, it's 'cos they're all a bunch of **nts! And that isn't going to change any time soon.

Hth.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    I'll be visiting Conwy on the w/e of 12/13th of July. I'm looking forward to my fish and chips in the cafe close to the town wall. You probably know it.
    I do know it.

Leave a comment:

• JohntheBike
    replied
    19 million is nothing! My local council, Conwy, is just advertising a £40k a year post. For SSIW. Say something in Welsh. Welsh beaurocracy/spending knows very few bounds.

They only seem to care about culteral stuff like language. The fact that the hospoitals are dire, impossible to get an NHS dentist, schools sh1t, etcetc seems to pass them by.

And the lack of support to North Wales from Cardiff government is amazing. The North Wales people I know mostly don't know which they hate more - Cardiff or London.
    "the lack of support to North Wales from Cardiff government is amazing"

I guess that might be a legacy of our Welsh history and will probably take some generations to rectify.

As a result of the opening up of the mines in South Wales in the 19th century, there was a huge influx of labour, principally from England and many of our Welsh traditions, and particularly the language, were diluted. When attending my sister in law's funeral in Tylorstown, it was interesting to see that most of the names on the gravestones were not traditional Welsh surnames. Her first husband's surname was Tibbot, which clearly isn't Welsh. My mothers' maiden name was Nicholls, which apparently emanates from Boscastle in Cornwall. So you can see the influence there on our names. We also had that infamous edict (was it a green paper) which directed school teachers to suppress the use of Welsh in schools, thus giving us the "Welsh not" i.e. (for the English) you must not speak Welsh in class or be punished.

The North saw all this as betrayal of our culture, but we in South Wales had no choice in the matter. By the 1960's Welsh was almost a dead language here in South Wales, save for a few pockets in the South West, e.g. Llanelli, but has now regained ground since the Welsh Language Act. I'm not Welsh speaking as a result of the "Welsh not" as my grandparents, who were fluent Welsh speakers apparently, didn't speak to my parents in Welsh, who clearly couldn't speak to me so. At least now rugby is being played more in the North and RGC are doing very well. It's good to see the support for the U20's up North too.

"The North Wales people I know mostly don't know which they hate more - Cardiff or London"

I never voted for the Assembly, on the basis that there would be no realistic chance that we would get anything other than a Labour dominated administration. So the North are not alone there. It's a good job we have PR, as there would never be any sort of opposition to Labour.

I'll be visiting Conwy on the w/e of 12/13th of July. I'm looking forward to my fish and chips in the cafe close to the town wall. You probably know it.

Leave a comment:

• meridian
    replied
    19 million is nothing!
    Yeah, alright, calm yerself down Rockefeller...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X