• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "May admits Brexit was just a practical joke"

Collapse

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Originally posted by Yorkie62 View Post
    and the overall impact on the UK, with cited factual supporting evidence is.........
    ......in the following peer reviewed paper.

Lawless, M., and E. Morgenroth, 2019 “The product and sector level impact of a hard Brexit across the EU”, Journal of Contemporary Social Science, Vol 14(2).

Leave a comment:

• meridian
    replied
    May admits Brexit was just a practical joke

So you are basing your evidence on an un peer reviewed opinion piece. Any researcher worth their salt would only use peer reviewed papers as valid sources of information and not the views of a someone who is a self proclaimed supported of the EU. Google the author and this information isn't hard to find.
    You’re moving the argument.

You said that the impact of Brexit was a complete unknown. I’ve shown you how to calculate the impact, if you want to.

If you have a problem with it being peer reviewed or not (you can follow the link to the source Journal, not just read the blog summary) that’s a different argument.

If you have an issue with the author, then just do the calculations yourself. I’ve given you the methodology, I’m not going to spoon feed you.

Leave a comment:

• Yorkie62
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    In other words it is a peer reviewed paper.
    Sorry that does not make it peer reviewed. From the bottom of the linked article. its a blog not a peer reviewed paper.

This post represents the views of the author and not those of the Brexit blog, nor the LSE. It is based on Lawless, M., and E. Morgenroth, 2019

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    So you are basing your evidence on an un peer reviewed opinion piece. Any researcher worth their salt would only use peer reviewed papers as valid sources of information and not the views of a someone who is a self proclaimed supported of the EU. Google the author and this information isn't hard to find.
    based on Lawless, M., and E. Morgenroth, 2019 “The product and sector level impact of a hard Brexit across the EU”, Journal of Contemporary Social Science, Vol 14(2).
    In other words it is a peer reviewed paper.

Leave a comment:

• Yorkie62
    replied
    Originally posted by meridian View Post
    WTO tariffs in a no-deal Brexit: what the impact would be | LSE BREXIT

The full report is covered in the Journal of Contemporary Social Science, Vol 14(2), and like any academic research if you want the full set of data used then just contact the author.

Leave a comment:

• meridian
    replied
    and the overall impact on the UK, with cited factual supporting evidence is.........
    WTO tariffs in a no-deal Brexit: what the impact would be | LSE BREXIT

The full report is covered in the Journal of Contemporary Social Science, Vol 14(2), and like any academic research if you want the full set of data used then just contact the author.

Leave a comment:

• Yorkie62
    replied
    No, not a guess. We have existing tariff schedules through the EU, we have our new tariff schedules, we have records of quantities and source/destination countries down to schedule lines. At a U.K. level the impact can be analysed and calculated.

At an individual level, companies know what they import / export and where from / to. As above, they have the old tariff schedules and the new ones. For their destination countries they have those schedules for MFN.

Leave a comment:

• meridian
    replied
    FTFY
    No, not a guess. We have existing tariff schedules through the EU, we have our new tariff schedules, we have records of quantities and source/destination countries down to schedule lines. At a U.K. level the impact can be analysed and calculated.

At an individual level, companies know what they import / export and where from / to. As above, they have the old tariff schedules and the new ones. For their destination countries they have those schedules for MFN.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Brexit is like Camelot.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Well seems like the Brexiteers will reject Brexit later today. Ironic isn't, most of the Remainers in government will be supporting it. So in spite of Remainers trying to push through Brexit, the Brexiteers will stop it.

This is why debate is completely pointless.

Leave a comment:

• Yorkie62
    replied
    That’s not true, it’s not a complete unknown, even in a No Deal situation.

There are available:
    - rolled-over Trade agreements with Norway, Faroes, etc. We know from the text of these agreements that they haven’t actually been rolled over (Fox lied) and they are worse than the existing agreements through the EU.
    - tariff schedules set out by the U.K. Andy W's mums best guess is available based on the tariffs and existing quantities of imports/exports to determine the impact on the U.K. overall.
    - both the EU and the U.K. have issues substantive preparedness notices on what No Deal would entail by sector

Industry by industry, there is a lot of information out there. Fishing, for example - here’s a handy chart breaking down exactly what is required for the fishing industry after Brexit:

FTFY

Leave a comment:

• meridian
    replied
    which is almost impossible in this case as beyond Brexit is a complete unknown)
    That’s not true, it’s not a complete unknown, even in a No Deal situation.

There are available:
    - rolled-over Trade agreements with Norway, Faroes, etc. We know from the text of these agreements that they haven’t actually been rolled over (Fox lied) and they are worse than the existing agreements through the EU.
    - tariff schedules set out by the U.K. Analysis is available based on the tariffs and existing quantities of imports/exports to determine the impact on the U.K. overall.
    - both the EU and the U.K. have issues substantive preparedness notices on what No Deal would entail by sector

Industry by industry, there is a lot of information out there. Fishing, for example - here’s a handy chart breaking down exactly what is required for the fishing industry after Brexit:

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Fallen into true remainer mode I see. I'm right your wrong, not citation evidence required, end of debate.

Do you see where your going wrong yet in this so called debate?

If you are trying to convince me to change my mind about Brexit you are failing spectacularly.
    I have no self interest in trying to convince you. I simply comment on the reality of the situation.

When I say "Brexit will fail". I'm not trying to debate, I'm simply stating a fact.

Leave a comment:

• Yorkie62
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    The thing about being right is that you don't have to do anything. The truth will come tumbling down on Brexit like a ton of bricks.

I'll let the Brexiteers work it out for themselves.

Fallen into true remainer mode I see. I'm right your wrong, not citation evidence required, end of debate.

Do you see where your going wrong yet in this so called debate?

If you are trying to convince me to change my mind about Brexit you are failing spectacularly.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    In your opinion?

Do you think your comment n..>"but I suppose when you are fundamentally wrong..." is in any way a constructive debate about Brexit.

To me a debate would entail listening to both sides of the argument, keeping to facts (which is almost impossible in this case as beyond Brexit is a complete unknown) and putting your case as to why your point of view is valid. Not just stating that the opposite view to your own is wrong. This is where remainers have failed time and time again to get there point acorss. They are too focused on say why Brexit is bad and not saying playing up what they see as the positives of the EU. How our net financial contribution to the EU benefits the UK as a nation. How being part of the EURO zone and Schengen area would be of a benefit to the UK economy. If we are to remain in the EU I believe that both the EURO and Schengen should be adopted, i.e. we should join the club 100% or not at all. None of this being a member of the club but too scared to actually enter the club house.
    The thing about being right is that you don't have to do anything. The truth will come tumbling down on Brexit like a ton of bricks.

I'll let the Brexiteers work it out for themselves.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X