• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "EU forces Germany after EU law change"

Collapse

• Yorkie62
    replied
    Donaudampfschifffahrtselektrizitätenhauptbetriebsw erkbauunterbeamtengesellschaft

perhaps

meaning

Association for Subordinate Officials of the Head Office Management of the Danube Steamboat Electrical Services

Leave a comment:

• PhiltheGreek
    replied
    So, what's the longest word now that one's gone?

Leave a comment:

• PhiltheGreek
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post

Now, why does the forum software put a space there? Or is it just my browser?
    It was stopping to draw breath.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Originally posted by Yorkie62 View Post
    Watched
    Inside Europe - 10 years in turmoil
    last night. It was interesting to see how the Western EU states changed the rules (Germany) when it suited them to have just a simple majority vote rather than universal agreement across all EU28, and how Poland was coerced (forced) into backing the Western EU states so it didn't look like a East West split.
    Reminded me of Animal Farm
    Every animal is equal except some are more equal than others
    or something similar. I'm sure someone will be along shortly to correct it.
    Nah the quote is close enough - for people who understand what it means.

But you could quote 1984, Fahrenheit 451, Brave new world etc and most of the quotes would work.

Leave a comment:

• Yorkie62
    replied
    Watched
    Inside Europe - 10 years in turmoil
    last night. It was interesting to see how the Western EU states changed the rules (Germany) when it suited them to have just a simple majority vote rather than universal agreement across all EU28, and how Poland was coerced (forced) into backing the Western EU states so it didn't look like a East West split.
    Reminded me of Animal Farm
    Every animal is equal except some are more equal than others
    or something similar. I'm sure someone will be along shortly to correct it.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Rindfleischetikettierungsüberwachungsaufgabenübert agungsgesetz

Now, why does the forum software put a space there? Or is it just my browser?

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Oh ffs, stop it already - admin on this forum is tight as ducks **** ratioing rep points, guess he/she is getting ready for Brexit, when even CUK rep points will be in short supply, especially CUK rep points!

Leave a comment:

• greenlake
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    German is famous - or notorious - for making compound words, often to describe something legal or scientific.
    Some words can be useful in everyday conversation however....

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    started a topic EU forces Germany after EU law change

EU forces Germany after EU law change

Germany drops longest word after EU law change

The German language has lost its longest word thanks to a change in the law to conform with EU regulations.

Rindfleischetikettierungsueberwachungsaufgabenuebe rtragungsgesetz - meaning "law delegating beef label monitoring" - was introduced in 1999 in the state of Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania.

It was repealed following changes to EU regulations on the testing of cattle.

German is famous - or notorious - for making compound words, often to describe something legal or scientific.

Germany drops longest word after EU law change - BBC News

That’s just mad...

Working...
X