• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Brexit: 'Very real' chance of Irish unity poll if no deal"

Collapse

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    "and after being approved by the occupying powers"

As I said.

How many other countries have their constitution "approved" by "occupying powers" .
    How many countries don't have a written constitution...

Unlike most modern states, Britain does not have a codified constitution but an unwritten one formed of Acts of Parliament, court judgments and conventions.
    This means that is basically uncodified or is one that exists in an abstract sense. It is something that is fluid and can change at any time A cardinal characteristic being that in law Parliament is sovereign in the sense of being the supreme legislative body. Since there is no documentary constitution containing laws that are fundamental in status and superior to ordinary Acts of Parliament, the courts may only interpret parliamentary statutes. They may not overrule or declare them invalid for being contrary to the constitution and ‘unconstitutional’. So, too, there are no entrenched procedures (such as a special power of the House of Lords, or the requirement of a referendum) by which the unwritten constitution may be amended.

Leave a comment:

• Batcher
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    There is no single unit of 'doing well'

There is GDP, unemployment, balance of trade, other indicators, the direction of travel for each of these.

On some of these the UK is doing better and on some Ireland is doing better. It's worth shaping your viewers around reality, rather than the other way round.
    Unemployment - UK is doing better because they add in zero hours contracts and people earning so low wages they still need to claim benefits.

Leave a comment:

• Batcher
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    Me too......and I'm British!!
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• Batcher
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    "and after being approved by the occupying powers"

As I said.

How many other countries have their constitution "approved" by "occupying powers" .
    The Scots

Leave a comment:

• stonehenge
    replied
    Originally posted by Whorty View Post
    Hence the backstop. The EU don't trust us to negotiate in good faith, so they are putting an insurance policy in place to protect themselves
    The eurosceptic lot know that they're unlikely to get a deal they can accept, hence why they want rid of the backstop.

It's funny how, during the referendum, a lot of them said it would be the easiest deal ever but, if that was the case, why would they care about the backstop?

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by stonehenge View Post
    I suspect a lot of people don't realise that. It doesn't help that the WA keep getting referred to as "deal".

The real deal is probably going to be even more tortuous than the WA.
    Hence the backstop. The EU don't trust us to negotiate in good faith, so they are putting an insurance policy in place to protect themselves

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by GreenMirror View Post
    If the UK does not come to some sort of decision soon, the UK is totally stuffed
    You voted for it, well done.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    What happens at the moment will be seen as nice walk in the park because by the time proper deal is negotiated EU will make a few rule changes that UK was blocking all these decades.

Leave a comment:

• stonehenge
    replied
    Originally posted by meridian View Post
    All of the arguing so far is mainly about a Withdrawal Agreement that at least gives us a transition period to figure out what we want - EFTA, Canada, etc. The real argument is only just about to start....
    I suspect a lot of people don't realise that. It doesn't help that the WA keep getting referred to as "deal".

Leave a comment:

• meridian
    replied
    If the UK does not come to some sort of decision soon, the UK is totally stuffed. I don't care if it is remain or stay. The "TM" deal is no deal - it just kicks the can down the road.
    Deal or No Deal, the real can was always being kicked down the road - what sort of trading relationship does the UK want with the EU in the future?

All of the arguing so far is mainly about a Withdrawal Agreement that at least gives us a transition period to figure out what we want - EFTA, Canada, etc. The real argument is only just about to start....

Leave a comment:

• GreenMirror
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post

There is GDP, unemployment, balance of trade, other indicators, the direction of travel for each of these.

On some of these the UK is doing better and on some Ireland is doing better. It's worth shaping your viewers around reality, rather than the other way round.
    If the UK does not come to some sort of decision soon, the UK is totally stuffed. I don't care if it is remain or stay. The "TM" deal is no deal - it just kicks the can down the road.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by Batcher View Post
    Ireland are doing 3 x better than the UK at the moment.

Leave a comment:

• Batcher
    replied
    Originally posted by Mordac View Post
    And it would bankrupt Ireland.
    Ireland are doing 3 x better than the UK at the moment.
    Last edited by Batcher; 11 February 2019, 13:05.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    On the other hand, a united Ireland would solve the backstop issue.
    Hope the take Scotland with them.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    I work for a company with a big Milan presence. They are always winding up the Sicilians. "You are not Italian". The Sicilians get very upset by this.

If NI, Scotland, Wales etcetc. want to leave then let them.

Obviously a chance Scotland might not vote in favour of leaving the UK. So this time, let the whole of the UK vote on if Scotland should leave or not.

I think losing Scotland would be a great pity. Look at the inventions that have come from Scotland in the last 150 years. But I am sick of the whining.
    Me too......and I'm Scottish!!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X