• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Irish solution

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Irish solution"

Collapse

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by meridian View Post
    I dearly hope we're not related then. My mother-in-law is a Collins.
    Is she a sockie from Bridgwater?

Leave a comment:

• JohntheBike
    replied
    well, if it's your mother-in-law who is a Collins, it would be your children that were related. However, it's pure fantasy. Having said that, given that the population of the British Isles in the early part of the 19th century was apparently less that 10 million, if you go back far enough, then there might be a link for all members of the Collins name.

The Camerons and Boris claim to be descended from British Royalty, while Tom Hanks is clearly related to Abraham Lincoln.

Wasn't there some claim that all those who could trace their ancestors to having been in the British Isles in 1066, that they would all be related?

Others with the name Swayne claim links to King Sweyn, of Swansea fame.

Leave a comment:

• meridian
    replied
    Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
    I also have Irish roots, and given that my grandmother was a Collins, and her family were from Cork, there is a very outside chance that I might be related to Michael Collins. I would dearly like Eire to rejoin the UK, or at least join the Commonwealth and perhaps have a parliamentary setup along the lines of the Scottish and Welsh Assemblies, with perhaps more powers. We could then drop the British and Irish title, and return to just calling the World's best rugby team "the Lions"!

Doesn't seem such a horrendous idea to me!

Leave a comment:

• JohntheBike
    replied
    Yes. I'm Irish. I am familiar with our constitution.
    I also have Irish roots, and given that my grandmother was a Collins, and her family were from Cork, there is a very outside chance that I might be related to Michael Collins. I would dearly like Eire to rejoin the UK, or at least join the Commonwealth and perhaps have a parliamentary setup along the lines of the Scottish and Welsh Assemblies, with perhaps more powers. We could then drop the British and Irish title, and return to just calling the World's best rugby team "the Lions"!

Doesn't seem such a horrendous idea to me!

Leave a comment:

• Yorkie62
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    He's also too thick to work out the prevailing wind direction.
    I'm too far North and East and who cares about the Southeast and home counties anyway.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Contractor UK Forum mobile app

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
    That's the spirit Jacob. Would be great for the country's morale to have another war. The ration books, the Vera Lynn albums, the letters from the home office to tell you your relations are dead. That's what makes Britain great !
    He's also too thick to work out the prevailing wind direction.

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    Originally posted by Yorkie62 View Post
    Nuke em....Sorted.
    That's the spirit Jacob. Would be great for the country's morale to have another war. The ration books, the Vera Lynn albums, the letters from the home office to tell you your relations are dead. That's what makes Britain great !

Leave a comment:

• meridian
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    Did you know that Ireland can effectively veto anything that the EU tries to put through by taking vote to its population?

Hmmm
    Yes. I'm Irish. I am familiar with our constitution.

Leave a comment:

• Yorkie62
    replied
    Nuke em....Sorted.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    It may be that there is an agreement somewhere that the UK will defend Eire just as it would do for any other UK country.
    Well back in the day we defended Europe and we were not even in the EU then.....

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    There’s a bottomless well...
    Did you know that Ireland can effectively veto anything that the EU tries to put through by taking vote to its population?

Hmmm

Leave a comment:

• JohntheBike
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post
    this is a parody account, but not a very funny one.

"ROI has no nukes and isn't a NATO member. Let's annexe them." has already been done.
    It may be that there is an agreement somewhere that the UK will defend Eire just as it would do for any other UK country.

Leave a comment:

• meridian
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    Never knew this!
    There’s a bottomless well...

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Why Ireland Might Have To Leave The EU Too | HuffPost UK

Never knew this!

Ireland and the EU: A special case - BBC News

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    It has always been my contention that until Eire joined the EU, the ordinary Irish people suffered materialistically as a result of their independence. The country's municipal infrastructure was clearly inferior to that of the UK. It was only because the UK allowed a special relationship for the Irish people, e.g. access to the NHS and freedom of movement, that they were protected from the harshest effects of the split. Even recently, the Irish were exempt from the initial charge for registering as an EU citizen.

When Eire faced a serious financial issue in recent years, it was the UK that stepped in and helped them. It might now be with Brexit, that they realise that their links with the UK are far stronger than they are with the EU, especially if their continued membership of the EU denies them any benefits of the special relationship they've enjoyed in past years, e.g. access to the NHS.
    this is a parody account, but not a very funny one.

"ROI has no nukes and isn't a NATO member. Let's annexe them." has already been done.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X