• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Forget the Irish Border what about the Gibraltar Issue"

Collapse

• Zigenare
    replied
    To add my opinion, In mid '91 after an "altercation" with the thieving Turks and 2 days on the tarmac in Gib waiting for a flight back to Brize - I ******* hate the place. However, it's on my badge and I'll defend it against all invaders.

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    I think the Commodores penned a song about you...................."Easy!"

nah, this, by one of his countrymen

YouTube

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
    So everyone who lives and works in Gibraltar is a tax dodger in your eyes.
    I think the Commodores penned a song about you...................."Easy!"

Leave a comment:

• Eirikur
    replied
    Wouldn't have amended the fact that you are still a delusional halfwit.

You have just added tax-dodger to your list of faults too.

So everyone who lives and works in Gibraltar is a tax dodger in your eyes. You're so stupid you have no idea how stupid you actually are, potato peeler.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    you forgot to say at the end of your sentence "who lived in Gibraltar for 2 years contracting at the UK's largest betting and gaming company"
    Wouldn't have amended the fact that you are still a delusional halfwit.

You have just added tax-dodger to your list of faults too.

Leave a comment:

• Eirikur
    replied
    Well as someone that has travelled extensively, including Gibraltar, I feel that the wishes of over 99% of the Gibraltarians to accept the democratic wishes of the UK override the 96%.
    Especially when their case is being put forward by a slackjawed knuckleheaded economic cloggie immigrant.

you forgot to say at the end of your sentence "who lived in Gibraltar for 2 years contracting at the UK's largest betting and gaming company"

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Ah you mean it's okay for gammons who have never been abroad let alone in Gibraltar to ignore 96% of the population's wish to remain in the EU
    Well as someone that has travelled extensively, including Gibraltar, I feel that the wishes of over 99% of the Gibraltarians to accept the democratic wishes of the UK override the 96%.
    Especially when their case is being put forward by a slackjawed knuckleheaded economic cloggie immigrant.

Leave a comment:

• Eirikur
    replied
    Here are some salient facts for you.

The Gibraltarians made it clear that they wish to remain fully integrated with the wishes of the British Electorate.

It would be churlish in the extreme to somehow contrive to have them miss out on the wishes of the majority of voters.

HTH

Ah you mean it's okay for gammons who have never been abroad let alone in Gibraltar to ignore 96% of the population's wish to remain in the EU

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied

Anyway Gib voted 96% in favour of remain. So why do gammon island based brexiteers want continental Gib to leave the EU?
    The Spanish dictator, General Francisco Franco, began a campaign to force negotiations on the future of Gibraltar in the early 1950s, claiming that not only was British control of the territory since 1704 akin to colonisation, but that he had also been promised the rock by Winston Churchill during the second world war in return for not attacking British interests.

Both claims were dismissed by the British, but by 1966, under pressure from the United Nations, Spain and the UK began formal talks about the future of Gibraltar that would eventually lead to the first-ever referendum on the sovereignty of the territory.

By the time the vote came around on 10 September 1967, the electorate was presented with a simple choice: to accept Spanish sovereignty or retain the link with Britain and the crown.

Joyous celebrations
    As there was no sign within Gibraltar of any popular or political movement pressing for an end to British rule, and because civil liberties in Spain under Franco were restricted, it was widely believed that the Spanish claim had little chance of success.

In the end, 44 people voted for the first option, to accept Spanish sovereignty, while 12,138 (a resounding 99.34 per cent of the electorate) voted to stay British.
    Here are some salient facts for you.

The Gibraltarians made it clear that they wish to remain fully integrated with the wishes of the British Electorate.

It would be churlish in the extreme to somehow contrive to have them miss out on the wishes of the majority of voters.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• Eirikur
    replied
    Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
    Where's that then?

If you're talking about Gibraltar then it already has a hard border.
    You mean just like the UK has with the EU, yes you're right for once

Anyway Gib voted 96% in favour of remain. So why do gammon island based brexiteers want continental Gib to leave the EU?

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by BR14 View Post
    don't bring Scotland into your wee fantasies Ivan
    All Scotland needs to do now is leave UK, join EU and clean up financial sector from ze City

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Brexit itself in my view is a valid reason to run referendum, certainly in Scotland where vast majority voted to stay in.
    don't bring Scotland into your wee fantasies Ivan

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied
    As for Spain controlling both sides of the straits, why should they? The Straits of Gibraltar are of strategic importance and cannot be held to ransom by any one state.
    unless it's us?

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Indeed. All the politicians in Westminster WERE in fact democratically elected by the Electorate. Unlike, say, the members of the European Commission.
    Since when have civil servants been elected? But you know that - this is more of you being a prat.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    What do you think would be a valid reason to run in the case of Brexit for example the referendum again?
    Brexit itself in my view is a valid reason to run referendum, certainly in Scotland where vast majority voted to stay in.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X