• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "And then they came for the driving licences"

Collapse

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    Did I miss something?
    That is generally the case

HTH

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by BR14 View Post
    feck off out of it thenTwat
    Thanks for your highly intelligent and rational response, but what do you think about the fact that with the GDP-debt ratio at close to 90% and interest rates at under 1% there is no leeway for any further government bailouts of failing institutions and/or loosening of monetary policy in the event of another crisis?

The final heroin fix has been administered, any more will kill the patient.

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    *Non sequitur.
    **I'm not.

HTH, BIDI, TSLITH
    feck off out of it thenTwat

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by Anonimouse View Post
    If the ship is sinking,and you hate this country so much*, why are you still here?**
    *Non sequitur.
    **I'm not.

HTH, BIDI, TSLITH

Leave a comment:

• Anonimouse
    replied
    If the ship is sinking,and you hate this country so much, why are you still here?

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    Sorry for quoting the Chancellor's summary on financial matters, it was supported by many prominent remainers, maybe we should have asked the cleaning lady.

We aren't still waiting we are still negotiating.
    Even if the only effect of the referendum vote is the well documented one of UK growth falling from top of the G7 to the bottom (and it is unreasonable to think this will be the ONLY effect), that is enough to consign the UK to have serious fiscal problems in the medium to long term.
    The British economy is kept afloat by what some wag has called "private Keynesianism" a.k.a. private debt (as pointed out by BB's link on another thread.
    The next crisis is going to blow the UK economy wide open - there is no room for any more QE or any other radical solutions.
    Last edited by sasguru; 15 September 2018, 16:30.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by meridian View Post
    Cool story bro, but you’re selectively quoting George Osborne’s summary of the Treasury document and not the Treasury report itself. If you read the Treasury scenarios you’ll find a range of possible outcomes and softer words such as could, may, etc.

Now do one with the statements made by the Brexiters (you know, easiest deal in history, there is no downside only upside, etc etc)

2 years on we are still waiting.
    Sorry for quoting the Chancellor's summary on financial matters, it was supported by many prominent remainers, maybe we should have asked the cleaning lady.

We aren't still waiting we are still negotiating.

Leave a comment:

• meridian
    replied
    And then they came for the driving licences

FTFY

Light reading for you

https://assets.publishing.service.go...the_eu_web.pdf

Cool story bro, but you’re selectively quoting George Osborne’s summary of the Treasury document and not the Treasury report itself. If you read the Treasury scenarios you’ll find a range of possible outcomes and softer words such as could, may, etc.

Now do one with the statements made by the Brexiters (you know, easiest deal in history, there is no downside only upside, etc etc)

Last edited by meridian; 15 September 2018, 14:05.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Sorry I have my head up my arse and can't admit I am wrong despite vetran highlighting the important parts and providing links.

Admin: Please could we have a flashing red crayon font in 32 so I can understand.
    FTFY,

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Some load of unreadable bollocks with weird red text
    FTFY...We still haven't left the EU but things have got worse for many people, you just have your head in the sand with both fingers in your ears denying it...

Admin: Please could we have a red crayon font for vetran

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Let me help you out:

I Darmy am too thick to remember the claims of Project Fear were to come true within the two years from when we voted leave.
    I & my fellow Remoaners lost bodily fluids when the pound devalued slightly. Then 2 years on when the UK is doing OK despite the fear-mongering we have now deferred Armageddon until after we leave the EU. Thus we can keep on moaning all through the transition period and probably another 10 years following.
    FTFY

Light reading for you

https://assets.publishing.service.go...the_eu_web.pdf

This paper focuses on the immediate economic impact of a vote to leave and the two
    years that follow.
    Such a vote would change fundamentally not just the UK’s
    relationship with the EU, our largest trading partner, but also our relationship with the
    rest of the world. The instability and uncertainty that would trigger is assessed.

The analysis in this document comes to a clear central conclusion: a vote to leave
    would represent an immediate and profound shock to our economy. That shock would
    push our economy into a recession and lead to an increase in unemployment of around
    500,000, GDP would be 3.6% smaller, average real wages would be lower, inflation
    higher, sterling weaker, house prices would be hit and public borrowing would rise
    compared with a vote to remain.
    4 HM Treasury analysis: the immediate economic impact of leaving the EU
    These findings sit within the range of what is now an overwhelming weight of published
    estimates for this short-term impact, which all find that UK GDP would be lower
    following a vote to leave.
    The analysis also presents a downside scenario, finding that the shock could be much
    more profound, meaning the effect on the economy would be worse still. The rise in
    uncertainty could be amplified, the volatility in financial markets more tumultuous, and
    the extent of the impact to living standards more acute. In this severe scenario, GDP
    would be 6% smaller, there would be a deeper recession, and the number of people
    made unemployed would rise by around 800,000
    compared with a vote to remain. The
    hit to wages, inflation, house prices and borrowing would be larger. There is a credible
    risk that this more acute scenario could materialise.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    yes let me help you!
    Let me help you out:

Britain is still a member of the EU, Brexit has not happened yet.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Has Brexit happened yet? Did I miss something?
    yes let me help you!

if we dared to vote out.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by chopper View Post
    I wonder what they'll think when the hoards of Polish truck drivers are no longer delivering British made food to the local supermarket?
    OMG, so scary, some British people will have to deliver the food...

Leave a comment:

• meridian
    replied
    I very clearly said 60 hours working not driving. Sorry if you missed that. The rules are very specific.

The minimum wage is per hour worked. assuming you are working 13 hours a day 5 days a week 65 hours (perfectly legal driving hours).

£40k is £769.23. a week. / 65 = £11.83
    £26k is £500 a week / 65 = £7.69 and the minimum wage for over 25's is £7.83.

However if put in some waiting and overnights in there that 65 can easily grow and even £40K can look low.

However it is you that obviously misunderstand Averages. If you have 100 people, 99 of which earn £1 and the 100th earns 1001 the Average (mean) wage is £11. The Modal value is £1.
    99% of people earn £1.

We are talking about salaried HGV drivers here not self employed delivery drivers that should be clear.
    Nice post, thanks for that.

And yes, I was having a brain fart with averages.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X