• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "British public opinion has shifted sharply against Brexit, according to a Sky Poll"

Collapse

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by Mordac View Post
    Switzerland isn't in the EU, we are. I'll ignore the "an idiot thinks I'm an idiot" stuff, as you don't seem to be able to answer a straightforward question.
    FFS, it's signed up to the 4 freedoms. You really are an ignorant muppet.

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Your low IQ and inability to understand a point makes you hard work
    What part of Switzerland gets away with it and so would we (if we had the nous to do so) as we are more important than Switzerland, is your brain cell struggling to understand?
    Switzerland isn't in the EU, we are. (I'll ignore the "an idiot thinks I'm an idiot" stuff, as you don't seem to be able to answer a straightforward question. Retracted)

Edit: You did answer it, I only spotted it afterwards.

This is the relevant direct quote from EU legislation (Directive 2004/38/EC) :

"... the right of residence depends on their having sufficient resources not to become a burden on the host Member State’s social assistance system, and having sickness insurance. EU citizens acquire the right of permanent residence in the host Member State after a period of five years of uninterrupted legal residence."

Why was this not implemented by the UK? Would there have been such a backlash in the UK if the simple rules above had been applied?
    I'm not sure the idiots who run the NHS would be capable of running this sort of system.
    Last edited by Mordac; 3 August 2018, 10:00.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    EU to shove a huge lolly stick up the UK's backside

It's clear now that the deal will not include anything about trade it will simply be an agreement to pay a huge bill, and the UK will agree.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    What is the point of me?

What is the point of anything?

We are all nothing sat on an unspectacular rock spinning around an unremarkable star in one of the arms of an uninspiring spiral galaxy in the Virgo supercluster.

And yet you continue to insist you are right and everyone else is wrong.

Its just not worth it fella.
    We were having a discussion of implementation of EU rules and then you put in some childish random bollux.
    I'm surprised you can hold down a job TBH. And you also claim to have bred, which has without doubt lowered the average IQ of the country.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    FFS what is the point of you?
    The only turds are cretins like you. They span cultures and continents and they cannot be polished.
    What is the point of me?

What is the point of anything?

We are all nothing sat on an unspectacular rock spinning around an unremarkable star in one of the arms of an uninspiring spiral galaxy in the Virgo supercluster.

And yet you continue to insist you are right and everyone else is wrong.

Its just not worth it fella.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    The turd is the EU

The people sticking the lolly sticks in are the leaders of the EU.

The people of the EU are the stick

Lets see how far up the stick the sh!t will go.

I'll guarantee you it will never reach the fingers of those doing the pushing though.

mmmmm
    FFS what is the point of you?
    The only turds are cretins like you. They span cultures and continents and they cannot be polished.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    And that, folks, is about as good a description of Brexit as you're ever likely to get. Except there is no lolly stick.
    The turd is the EU

The people sticking the lolly sticks in are the leaders of the EU.

The people of the EU are the stick

Lets see how far up the stick the sh!t will go.

I'll guarantee you it will never reach the fingers of those doing the pushing though.

mmmmm

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied

"... the right of residence depends on their having sufficient resources not to become a burden on the host Member State’s social assistance system, and having sickness insurance. EU citizens acquire the right of permanent residence in the host Member State after a period of five years of uninterrupted legal residence."

Why was this not implemented by the UK? Would there have been such a backlash in the UK if the simple rules above had been applied?
    The fact is, is that the UK is a haven for illegal immigrants because no-one needs to be registered, so even when the UK leaves the EU and shoves up walls at Folkstone illegal immigrants will still flood in on holiday visas. Vans with megaphones telling them to leave don't cut it.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    The Swiss are very thorough when it comes to implementing the law, not only have they implemented freedom of movement to the letter of the law they have also implemented it in the spirit of the law. I worked in Switzerland for a number of years and it was clear. They also implemented Schengen and I didn't have to show my passport coming in.

The fact that the UK is sh*t at implementing laws doesn't mean that other countries are cheating it simply means the UK are sh*t at implementing laws.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    The Swiss are very thorough when it comes to implementing the law, not only have they implemented freedom of movement to the letter of the law they have also implemented it in the spirit of the law. I worked in Switzerland for a number of years and it was clear. They also implemented Schengen and I didn't have to show my passport coming in.

The fact that the UK is sh*t at implementing laws doesn't mean that other countries are cheating it simply means the UK are sh*t at implementing laws.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied

Honestly it's like watching kids argue over who puts the lolly stick in the dog turd.
    And that, folks, is about as good a description of Brexit as you're ever likely to get. Except there is no lolly stick.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    The point is the UK could have done something about many things, but chose not to, and instead blamed the EU.

Why should it not be acceptable? It's about applying the rules for the benefit of your own people. What puzzles me is why the UK is so unutterably crap at it?
    To be fair, that is what most of the rest of the EU member states actually do. Don't expect to move freely in France, for example, if you don't have fluent written and spoken French.
    The irony is that we in the UK, despite having the most widely spoken language in the world, bend over backwards to translate official documents into just about every known language on the planet. The trouble is we are playing by the rules of cricket, whereas everyone else is playing by the rules of Australian football (i.e. there aren't any actual rules to speak of).
    I guess this is the difference between the spirit of the law and the letter of the law.

Main problem with the letter of the law is it seems to attract politicians and lawyers all thinking they are dead clever by finding loopholes and ways to not apply the law in the spirit but in some other nefarious way which will benefit them and not others.

Honestly it's like watching kids argue over who puts the lolly stick in the dog turd.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    I wonder how many EU rules that policy would have contravened. I don't see how we can provide a free NHS health service to some EU citizens*, but not others**. The EU would have our balls for breakfast.
    Apart from anything else, it would never get voted through the UK Parliament.

*Eg, all the Brits

**Everyone who isn't British
    Your low IQ and inability to understand a point makes you hard work
    What part of Switzerland gets away with it and so would we (if we had the nous to do so) as we are more important than Switzerland, is your brain cell struggling to understand?

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Ok let me get this straight - we can just agree to these 4 freedoms in principle - but in reality make it so clearly no one can actually make use of these 4 freedoms because of the caveats put in place.

And this is acceptable why?
    To be fair, that is what most of the rest of the EU member states actually do. Don't expect to move freely in France, for example, if you don't have fluent written and spoken French.
    The irony is that we in the UK, despite having the most widely spoken language in the world, bend over backwards to translate official documents into just about every known language on the planet. The trouble is we are playing by the rules of cricket, whereas everyone else is playing by the rules of Australian football (i.e. there aren't any actual rules to speak of).

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    It doesn't matter who joins the EU. That's not the issue. The issue is that the UK fooked up in not using EU mandated rules to keep out those it didn't want.
    Something as simple as requiring private health insurance for 5 years would have done it.
    I wonder how many EU rules that policy would have contravened. I don't see how we can provide a free NHS health service to some EU citizens*, but not others**. The EU would have our balls for breakfast.
    Apart from anything else, it would never get voted through the UK Parliament.

*Eg, all the Brits

**Everyone who isn't British

Leave a comment:

Working...
X