• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Brexit means the UK will be locked out of Galileo"

Collapse

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    You seem very fixated on blue passports

are you ok?
    Where he's living he won't be allowed one. Which is just as well...

Leave a comment:

• motoukenin
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    2018-05-09 Brexit to 'force Airbus sat-nav work on Galileo out of UK'

If the EU stops the UK from accessing the encrypted (presumably military grade accuracy) part of Galileo, why can't the UK simply withhold from any payments to the EU the complete cost of developing and deploying our own Galileo-like system, called say Newton?

That shouldn't cost more than a few billion at the most, and would be a great boost (for want of a better word) to the UK's space program!

Can't see Teresa Maybe and this pathetic craven government contemplating anything so decisive though, and fair considering the UK must have contributed a significant amount to the development and running of Galileo!
    When this story broke out there was some old geezer on the TV who said:

"We didnt have satelites before we were in the EU and we dont need them when we leave"

You have already paid the money getting it back is the problem

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by Mordac View Post
    The only reason a third runway isn't already up and running is because we have too many LibDems locally who oppose it. They want everyone to walk to their holidays. We've just got ourselves a new shiny LibDem council in Richmond who want everyone to walk (or cycle) in sandals and recycle their own poo. (I might have made that last bit up). I dread to think what they are going to make us pay for car parking permits, given that we have the temerity to own something that runs on petrol. And our council tax is about to go orbital as a consequence, and our weekly bin collection is probably going to move to monthly, but don't let my rant stop you carping from a farking safe distance....
    Nah, it's because someone else was in charge and you know that this person can't make a decision: https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...nway-committee

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    stopped reading when you started blaming someone else... same old same old. Any other country would be putting the finishing touches to the estuary airport by now instead.

Galileo lost.
    Agency for Medicines lost.
    Agency for finance lost.
    City of culture programe lost.
    Possibly Euroatom will be lost.
    Erasmus next.

But we have blue passports. Printed in France.
    You seem very fixated on blue passports

are you ok?

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    2018-05-09 Brexit to 'force Airbus sat-nav work on Galileo out of UK'

If the EU stops the UK from accessing the encrypted (presumably military grade accuracy) part of Galileo, why can't the UK simply withhold from any payments to the EU the complete cost of developing and deploying our own Galileo-like system, called say Newton?

That shouldn't cost more than a few billion at the most, and would be a great boost (for want of a better word) to the UK's space program!

Can't see Teresa Maybe and this pathetic craven government contemplating anything so decisive though, and fair considering the UK must have contributed a significant amount to the development and running of Galileo!
    The UK will be able to redirect its efforts to the discovery and economic exploitation of worlds at the back of wardrobes.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    The only reason a third runway isn't already up and running is because we have too many LibDems locally who oppose it. ...
    stopped reading when you started blaming someone else... same old same old. Any other country would be putting the finishing touches to the estuary airport by now instead.

Galileo lost.
    Agency for Medicines lost.
    Agency for finance lost.
    City of culture programe lost.
    Possibly Euroatom will be lost.
    Erasmus next.

But we have blue passports. Printed in France.

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    The government cannot decide on a third runway in Heathrow after 15 years of talking about it. Why any swivelled eyed leave voter believes they'll get a whole shiny new satellite system off the ground that bests Galileo is beyond me.
    The only reason a third runway isn't already up and running is because we have too many LibDems locally who oppose it. They want everyone to walk to their holidays. We've just got ourselves a new shiny LibDem council in Richmond who want everyone to walk (or cycle) in sandals and recycle their own poo. (I might have made that last bit up). I dread to think what they are going to make us pay for car parking permits, given that we have the temerity to own something that runs on petrol. And our council tax is about to go orbital as a consequence, and our weekly bin collection is probably going to move to monthly, but don't let my rant stop you carping from a farking safe distance....

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Have actually worked on the Galileo project, once in the UK, here in Germany, and once in Italy, I'm fairly familiar with system / logistics of the operation. Control of Galileo operations is just outside Munich, not far from me actually. The project isn't going anywhere. It kills off Europe's dependancy of the US GPS system not to mention a 3 fold gain in positioning accuracy. No contributing member is walking away from Galileo, it is just too important.

The level of expertise involved, the cost, the benefits, it is a project that just highlights how absent the vacuous nitwits of Westminster are... this is what happens when you've no industrial experience in the house. And this will not be the last project either. ITER will be next.

Can't see the UK walking away from Galileo after the years of involvement. In the end they'll pay to access. And my what an invoice that'll be.
    Christ, if they you loose on it, it won't f**king work anyway. Just saying....

Leave a comment:

• Eirikur
    replied
    The government cannot decide on a third runway in Heathrow after 15 years of talking about it. Why any swivelled eyed leave voter believes they'll get a whole shiny new satellite system off the ground that bests Galileo is beyond me.
    That and the fact that many of the space engineering people that work in the Uk are EU citizen who will leave after brexit. Some important research facilities close to where I live have mostly scientists and engineers that are from Italy, France and Germany, many of them told me they will go and some already have gone.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Eirikur
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    And will they all be painted red with messages on the side of them?
    Yes with "spend 360 million pounds per week extra on the galileo replacement in stead of the NHS"

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Airbus will be renamed as EUbus - you've heard it on here first...
    And will they all be painted red with messages on the side of them?

Leave a comment:

• Dark Black
    replied
    Who needs sat-nav anyway. Never used it, and never got lost. I can read a map. Lots of ladies will be buggered, and very, very lost though. Discuss...
    What is this "sat-nav" of which you speak?

Is it when you're "sat" down and and work out the "nav" with an OS map?

Works for me

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Who needs sat-nav anyway. Never used it, and never got lost. I can read a map. Lots of ladies will be buggered, and very, very lost though. Discuss...

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    And here is a slightly different take.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a8343146.html

I love the bit

"The move is likely to enrage Brussels, where senior figures have previously accused the UK of trying to blackmail the EU by using its strengths in intelligence and security as a bargaining chip in talks."

So when the UK threaten to withhold something the EU want it's 'blackmail'

But when the EU do it it's 'negotiating'

Fookin cnuts

Leave a comment:

Working...
X