• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Bridge to Nowhere

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Bridge to Nowhere"

Collapse

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    Give me £100 and I will let you 'bid' for £70

The other £30 - that was for the privilege of being able to bid.
    After March 2019 it'll cost £50 to bid.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    I've been bleating on about for years
    The only part of your post that came anywhere close to being factual!

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    I think the point is the UK will portion money for projects as the EU currently does. If anything the UK will introduce more government into the process, not less. Right now it is fairly easy to apply and receive EU funding.

As I've been bleating on about for years, the UK is near bankrupt with eye watering debt and an economy that does compensate citizens enough monthly income to afford decent housing. Yet somehow immigrants are to blame rather than the Tories unregulated banking system. There's nothing that can be done to recover the economy but a hard crash of the housing market and a rampant increase of interest rates. Murica is heading the same way.

Buy gold now!
    Give me £100 and I will let you 'bid' for £70

The other £30 - that was for the privilege of being able to bid.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    We have already paid for the 'grants' so it is more that they will no longer give us back a percentage of the money we gave to them.
    I think the point is the UK will portion money for projects as the EU currently does. If anything the UK will introduce more government into the process, not less. Right now it is fairly easy to apply and receive EU funding.

As I've been bleating on about for years, the UK is near bankrupt with eye watering debt and an economy that does compensate citizens enough monthly income to afford decent housing. Yet somehow immigrants are to blame rather than the Tories unregulated banking system. There's nothing that can be done to recover the economy but a hard crash of the housing market and a rampant increase of interest rates. Murica is heading the same way.

Buy gold now!

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Originally posted by meridian View Post
    Innovation is brought about by ideas, collaboration, and research funding. Brexit will likely make this harder, not easier.

https://amp.theguardian.com/technolo...powers-future?

We have already paid for the 'grants' so it is more that they will no longer give us back a percentage of the money we gave to them.

Leave a comment:

• meridian
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    It would be nice to get something the UK could lead the way with. Concord(e) was great - but not developed further.

The UK had the first digital telephone exchange. Went live for about 5 minutes? Then in the 1980s we ended up getting them from abroad!

I would like to see the UK lead the world in energy supply - coal, nuclear and renewable. In electric cars. And fusion.

Sadly the UK usually has great ideas then fails to capitalise on them.....
    Innovation is brought about by ideas, collaboration, and research funding. Brexit will likely make this harder, not easier.

https://amp.theguardian.com/technolo...powers-future?

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    Try this, been on it a couple of times now, quite good. On second thoughts don't, it's in Germany

Apparently a very recent one in Docklands. Converted into normal bridge.....

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    I still want to go the the Warrington Transporter bridge. Drove right past it yesterday. Baby bp refused to stop....
    Try this, been on it a couple of times now, quite good. On second thoughts don't, it's in Germany

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    I think that this is probably what Boris is thinking of:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_War_in_the_Air

Or back in 1981:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2007/...ransport.world
    I still want to go the the Warrington Transporter bridge. Drove right past it yesterday. Baby bp refused to stop....

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    I think that this is probably what Boris is thinking of:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_War_in_the_Air

Or back in 1981:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2007/...ransport.world

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
    We are pretty sharp with wind power technology.

The Swansea tidal lagoon has promise too. Heck the Severn lagoon is a a great idea.
    Indeed. And https://forums.contractoruk.com/members/diver.html is at the forefront of it....

Leave a comment:

• PurpleGorilla
    replied
    It would be nice to get something the UK could lead the way with. Concord(e) was great - but not developed further.

The UK had the first digital telephone exchange. Went live for about 5 minutes? Then in the 1980s we ended up getting them from abroad!

I would like to see the UK lead the world in energy supply - coal, nuclear and renewable. In electric cars. And fusion.

We are pretty sharp with wind power technology.

The Swansea tidal lagoon has promise too. Heck the Severn lagoon is a a great idea.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
    I don’t think we need the bridge.

But I applaud his call for a bit of engineering vision.

We could do with a lot more vision by our political leaders.

Leave a comment:

• meridian
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    How apt...

The bridge to nowhere

because the whole Brexit process is a bridge that leads right back to where the UK started from.

Even without freedom of movement, it’s clear that there are many EU citizens that will be allowed to stay and work - those already here, those arriving under any transition period, those that the U.K. decides that it wants to let in on “preferred roles” or whatever.

There needs to be a way to identify everyone and their visa / residency status. That would also, presumably, require Brits to carry around some form of ID to prove that they are Brits (my kids, for example, were born here and have English accents but are not U.K. citizens).

Which leads us all the way around to identity cards, the very things that the government could have introduced years ago to limit EU immigration.....

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    How apt...

The bridge to nowhere

ITALIAN MP Sandro Gozi has warned Britain’s desire for a “Canada plus plus plus” deal post-Brexit could mean the country must accept the European Union’s four freedoms, which includes freedom of movement for workers.
    because the whole Brexit process is a bridge that leads right back to where the UK started from.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X