• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "European Commission kicking a country while it's down"

Collapse

• barrydidit
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    The North needs to get the HS2 money and build a rail service to connect Manchester/Liverpool/Leeds/Blackpool.
    +1 (except Blackpool)

And when parliament building becomes uninhabitable(not long now) they need to rebuild parliament in the middle of those cities.
    In the middle would be on top of the Pennines. Desolate, cold, windy....f*kin perfect for the bastards.

Leave a comment:

• meridian
    replied
    European Commission kicking a country while it's down

Originally posted by original PM View Post
    If someones art or culture is genuinely good then it will be recognised.

Giving cities a city of culture status is really like giving someone a trophy for turning up.
    Well, no. Giving them City of Culture status gave them access to EU funding, that allowed the cities to improve themselves. Presumably in the Impact Assessments there was an assessment of the removal of this funding, and the cost of its replacement by the UK taxpayer alone.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Just throwing the Bremoaners a bone.

Feel free to insult me. Just keep your cretinous posts away from general and the normal folk.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Originally posted by meridian View Post
    Presumably this is already covered in one of those 58 impact assessments, the one about the impact of Brexit on Arts and Culture.

The only surprising thing, really, is why the Brexiters are so surprised. Out means out, doesn't it? I would have thought the reaction was a happy one, rather than "fook them"...
    If someones art or culture is genuinely good then it will be recognised.

Giving cities a city of culture status is really like giving someone a trophy for turning up.

Leave a comment:

• meridian
    replied
    European Commission kicking a country while it's down

Presumably this is already covered in one of those 58 impact assessments, the one about the impact of Brexit on Arts and Culture.

The only surprising thing, really, is why the Brexiters are so surprised. Out means out, doesn't it? I would have thought the reaction was a happy one, rather than "fook them"...
    Last edited by meridian; 23 November 2017, 23:37.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    will save us a few quid then.

At least one future commitment off the divorce bill.

Next winner will probably be Baghdad.

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    Well just have our own... like we have done for a while.

https://www.culturerepublic.co.uk/bl...hats-it-worth/
    That will show them! Miss Tibbs has offered to mind the chutney stall except when Countdown is on.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Well just have our own... like we have done for a while.

https://www.culturerepublic.co.uk/bl...hats-it-worth/

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Fook Em™

Leave a comment:

• unixman
    replied
    The "Independent" makes me laff. I was an occasional buyer following its launch in '86. The paper's proud USP was that it was politically in the centre, and for a while it was. TV adverts ran with the slogan "The Independent. We are. Are you?", with a red effect on one side of the screen, and blue on the other. They also promised never to cover the Royal Family. Apart from being a bit aloof, it was a good paper.

It was later bought by a Russian oligarch and became one of the most left wing papers in the UK. These days it spends its time being more-PC-than-though, while publishing Royal Family click bait, all but lionizing Vladimir Putin, and being generally not very successful. Had it remained independent, and remained in the centre, it could have become Britain's leading broadsheet.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    I grew up there and the city centre is excellent now. The docks to Liverpool 1 then onwards is great.

Not sure of the areas outside of there, I grew up in Bootle and it was rough, looks better when I drive through it quickly.

All in all, it's came on leaps and bounds. Though, it's too far for me to contract the day rates are pretty crap there for us lot.
    It is better than it was. Relative to the slave trade days it has a long way to go.

I looked up recently when the "Liver" in "Liverpool" is pronounced differently to that in "Liver Building". Seems to be same spelling of 2 different meaning words.....

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    You are kidding! My mother's family all come from Liverpool. And they are all very unhappy at the state of the place. To be fair, it was tough to replace the slave trade.

Baby bp likes going to Rampworx. We usually take Merseyrail to avoid driving through it. I once got stopped by the police at Aintree and asked if I had any dangerous weapons. When I said no they gave me some.

The North needs to get the HS2 money and build a rail service to connect Manchester/Liverpool/Leeds/Blackpool.

And when parliament building becomes uninhabitable(not long now) they need to rebuild parliament in the middle of those cities.
    I grew up there and the city centre is excellent now. The docks to Liverpool 1 then onwards is great.

Not sure of the areas outside of there, I grew up in Bootle and it was rough, looks better when I drive through it quickly.

All in all, it's came on leaps and bounds. Though, it's too far for me to contract the day rates are pretty crap there for us lot.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by Mordac View Post
    The UK had been scheduled to host the capital in 2023 with candidate cities including Leeds, Dundee, Nottingham, Milton Keynes, and Belfast/Derry having prepared bids at taxpayers’ expense.
    With Eire determined to restart the war with NI Belfast and Derry are soon going to be no go areas.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    Liverpool is a vibrant city, jeweled city of the north.
    You are kidding! My mother's family all come from Liverpool. And they are all very unhappy at the state of the place. To be fair, it was tough to replace the slave trade.

Baby bp likes going to Rampworx. We usually take Merseyrail to avoid driving through it. I once got stopped by the police at Aintree and asked if I had any dangerous weapons. When I said no they gave me some.

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    The UK had been scheduled to host the capital in 2023 with candidate cities including Leeds, Dundee, Nottingham, Milton Keynes, and Belfast/Derry having prepared bids at taxpayers’ expense.
    Is it any wonder they kicked us out?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X