• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Plan for a very hard Brexit, German firms told"

Collapse

• chopper
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    So why would the UK not just slap a 10% tariff on goods from the EU? (or Germany)?

Seems fair to me?
    WTO rules, innit. You have to have a tariff on 'cars', you can't have different tariffs for 'EU cars' and 'Everyone else's cars', and those old farts who bang on about WTO rules really have no idea what that actually means.

I mean, hahaha, they actually don't realise the WTO is just a bunch of supra-national rules and restrictions on global trade. These are the same people who think the Bombardier C-Series thing is a US-UK dispute, and not a US-Canada dispute and a load of US protectionism for Boeing.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
    bob,

part of the EU's raison de etre is redistribution of wealth from the rich countries to the poor countries to bring everybody to the same level and they have been very successful at that
    Keep the poor countries on-side with bribes. Keep the value of the Euro lower thanks to the poorer countries being in. Boost Germany and France in the process through cheaper exports. The plan is clearly working very well.... for them.

In retrospect, maybe we should have joined the Euro so that we'd have benefitted too.

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    "Strong and stable" or "clueless and Marxist"?
    Since "none of the above" isn't an option, weak and unstable it is.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Mordac View Post
    Usually Labour come to bankrupt us. This time they really mean it...
    "Strong and stable" or "clueless and Marxist"?

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
    Well go and tell the Government.

I hope you Brexiteers are begining to realise that you are being sold Free Trade - F r e e T r a d e . That means we don't play games parrying each other's barriers or protecting our vital industries and sectors. It's a barmy right wing idealogy that lets Chinese cars in for nothing even though they penalise us by - I dunno - 60% tariff. We'll let New Zealand send all their farm produce but will not penalise them if they retain their tariff barriers.

The logic is we get cheap things (eg Porsche Macan knock-offs for £13k - what's not to like?) whilst our industries die unless they can weather the fierce winds of unfettered globalisation. Who knows - it might work but almost everybody/every country with a brain prefers not to play such Russian Roulette unless absolutely necessary. But we unfortunately are run by the Tories who are bonkers. Usually Labour come to save us but they've disappeared and left us with a bunch of marxist agitators.

It's really not a good time to be chipper and laid-back. Optimism and jingoism are not going to help in this crisis.
    Usually Labour come to bankrupt us. This time they really mean it...

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    Originally posted by Cirrus View Post

I hope you Brexiteers are begining to realise that you are being sold Free Trade - F r e e T r a d e . That means we don't play games parrying each other's barriers or protecting our vital industries and sectors. It's a barmy right wing idealogy that lets Chinese cars in for nothing even though they penalise us by - I dunno - 60% tariff. We'll let New Zealand send all their farm produce but will not penalise them if they retain their tariff barriers.

The logic is we get cheap things (eg Porsche Macan knock-offs for £13k - what's not to like?) whilst our industries die unless they can weather the fierce winds of unfettered globalisation. Who knows - it might work but almost everybody/every country with a brain prefers not to play such Russian Roulette unless absolutely necessary. But we unfortunately are run by the Tories who are bonkers. Usually Labour come to save us but they've disappeared and left us with a bunch of marxist agitators.

It's really not a good time to be chipper and laid-back. Optimism and jingoism are not going to help in this crisis.
    I dont know if you have noticed this but in a few more years maybe ten or fifteen at a push most people will be lucky to have a job... pretending to hide behind protectionist tariffs will be a pointless exercice.

Leave a comment:

• Cirrus
    replied
    So why would the UK not just slap a 10% tariff on goods from the EU? (or Germany)?

Seems fair to me?

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Where do I put the coins?

Try the fuse box.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
    Exactly. But with a coin operated electric fire. In Munich.
    Where do I put the coins?

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Sound like the creature Gollum.
    Exactly. But with a coin operated electric fire. In Munich.

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Yeah to be fair it was a crappy post, but the way you phrased your post did make it sound like you only had one euro coin that you fondled a lot.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    I can just imagine you, huddled over your single bar electric heater. Fondling your only coin, knowing this would be the day you could finally afford soup from the cafe below your bedsit.

I sometimes think of myself walking past you, then throwing some of my lose change to you. Knowing that you could finally afford a ticket back to the UK. I know when you get back your depression and bitterness will leave you. A support job working for the local council IT finally becoming an achievable goal.

One day Scoots, one day.

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    It is well known a result of around 65% for independence would have come in had EU citizens voted the same way as Scottish residents.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied

Seems fair to me?
    Go for it.
    That will mean it’s 10% more expensive for the UK to buy products from the EU, and as we have been told many times, the UK buys a lot of stuff from the EU (we’re normally told that by people who add that the EU would collapse if it lost the trade)
    ...oh and the other bit would be that you can slap tariffs on imported products, but not imported products by country/region.
    So, a 10% tariff on cars would be a 10% tariff on cars supplied to the UK from all countries, unless the UK had a specific trade agreement with that country which got round that one.

Leave a comment:

• motoukenin
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    Given that most people buy new cars by walking into the car showroom and asking what they can get for £x00 a month - I wouldn't be so sure on what the customer actually earns...

PS given that you claim to know so much about economics how is the monthly on a lease or PCP car calculated?
    Never ask what you can get for £x00 a month, and never tell a salesman your budget. Get him to tell you what it costs and then say I want that and can give you what he asks - 5% , then walk out. Never do this in September or March when the order book is full.

Business Lease is cheaper than PCP , never had a PCP so never found out the details but either way your paying for the depreciation of the car and its not yours, believe PCP has a balloon payment at the end and lease you just give back and they sell it at auction, so the math would be similar and proportional to the cars write down per year.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X