• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Tory and Labour MPs plot secret deal to ensure soft Brexit"

Collapse

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    MPs act in what they think is the best interests of the people of their constituency. It that way, they represent the people. However, they do not have to do what the majority (or even a large minority) of the people in their constituency want. And usually they don't.

From that, you apparently draw the conclusion that "Parliament is the people", ...
    It's a well accepted figure of speech. Everyone knows MPs are representatives not delegates.

FFS, arguing with literal-minded nitpickers is like trying to push a pea up a hill with one's nose!

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    To sum up the strength of the UK economy is:

restaurants, gyms and hairdressers

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    Is the eating out obligatory?

I mean fine most the time but a few days a month it may an idea to give it a miss.

Unless that's your thing I suppose.

🐈
    Wasn't thinking so much about the consumer as much I was about the UK economy being propped up the ever strong services sector.

UK services sector expands at fastest rate this year

If eating out becomes too expensive that sector will come down with a crash bang wallop. But I'm sure leave voters already priced this in.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
    Conversely, anything other than unfettered FoM, and the minority of hardcore remainers will be reaching for the tinfoil. I predict that CUK will either be propping up the price of aluminium or paper over the coming years. I'm long aluminium.

Minority ?

Unfortunately Mrs May's small majority was swept aside by a majority (Labour plus all the other parties) who are clearly prepared to:

In trade negotiations our priorities favour growth, jobs and prosperity. We make no apologies for putting these aims before bogus immigration targets.
    Last edited by BlasterBates; 17 June 2017, 15:48.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Expensive housing, food, eating out? Yeah sure that'll go down a treat.
    Is the eating out obligatory?

I mean fine most the time but a few days a month it may an idea to give it a miss.

Unless that's your thing I suppose.

🐈

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    I would agree with you on that, but the problem is that it would cause a lot of Brexiters to sit under a table with a paper bag over their head.

Conversely, anything other than unfettered FoM, and the minority of hardcore remainers will be reaching for the tinfoil. I predict that CUK will either be propping up the price of aluminium or paper over the coming years. I'm long aluminium.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
    If we end up like Switzerland - sounds good to me!!!
    I would agree with you on that, but the problem is that it would cause a lot of Brexiters to sit under a table with a paper bag over their head.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Sounds very unlikely, because there can be only one Switzerland

HTH

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Expensive housing, food, eating out? Yeah sure that'll go down a treat.

Leave a comment:

• PurpleGorilla
    replied

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    What are you predicting ?

Do you think after 2 years the EU will cave in and offer the UK a fantastic deal to make them the envy of the EU ?

or are you saying the UK will crash out without a deal, and the government will survive a motion of no confidence and go on to win a landslide ?

What are you hoping for?

Are you hoping that, after 2 years, the UK will cave in and accept a terrible deal that makes them the envy of supranational bureaucracies everywhere (let's call it "taxation without representation")?

Or are you hoping that Korbyn will secure a landslide and that the UK will greatly benefit from a more, er, "authoritarian democracy"?

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Is that your preference? Perhaps you take the view that the EUnimatrix comes before national governance . Certainly, a Corbyn gov't would be "interesting". It's surprising how many self-proclaimed moderates are now hoping for "interesting times", so I suppose you're in good company. Meanwhile, a Swiss deal is looking rather unlikely. Last I heard, the EU was trying very hard to kill the Swiss deal for the Swiss .

Perhaps they can distribute that bucket of sick among the net beneficiaries when we leave?

What are you predicting ?

Do you think after 2 years the EU will cave in and offer the UK a fantastic deal to make them the envy of the EU ?

or are you saying the UK will crash out without a deal, and the government will survive a motion of no confidence and go on to win a landslide ?

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    There indeed will be a transition, a very long transition and there will indeed be a bucket of sickFTA, and to get a feel for what that FTA will look like, look no further than Switzerland. Incidentally Switzerland also negotiates its own trade deals. I doubt whether the Conservative government will complete the negotiations on the FTA, that will probably be a Labour government.

Is that your preference? Perhaps you take the view that the EUnimatrix comes before national governance . Certainly, a Corbyn gov't would be "interesting". It's surprising how many self-proclaimed moderates are now hoping for "interesting times", so I suppose you're in good company. Meanwhile, a Swiss deal is looking rather unlikely. Last I heard, the EU was trying very hard to kill the Swiss deal for the Swiss .

Perhaps they can distribute that bucket of sick among the net beneficiaries when we leave?

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    It's almost as though you're hoping for that outcome in order increase the probability of continuity remain. Either way, it's going to be super interesting as the EU charges inexorably towards the MFF. Gosh, I expect Germany and France are going to have to dig really deep next time. Alternatively, there may be a sensible agreement on a transition followed by an FTA, in line with the White Paper. Who knows? If the EU is engaged in one of its regular periods of introspection and insecurity, they may prefer to dig really deep. Afterall, they don't have a great record of acting in their own interests (unless "own" is defined as the bureaucracy).
    There indeed will be a transition, a very long transition and there will indeed be a bucket of sickFTA, and to get a feel for what that FTA will look like, look no further than Switzerland. Incidentally Switzerland also negotiates its own trade deals. I doubt whether the Conservative government will complete the negotiations on the FTA, that will probably be a Labour government.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    The best negotiator in the world will still have great difficulty in trying to sell an Austin Princess.

At the end of 2 years there will a take it or leave it EU bucket of sickoffer on the table and the government will collapse.

It's almost as though you're hoping for that outcome in order increase the probability of continuity remain. Either way, it's going to be super interesting as the EU charges inexorably towards the MFF. Gosh, I expect Germany and France are going to have to dig really deep next time. Alternatively, there may be a sensible agreement on a transition followed by an FTA, in line with the White Paper. Who knows? If the EU is engaged in one of its regular periods of introspection and insecurity, they may prefer to dig really deep. Afterall, they don't have a great record of acting in their own interests (unless "own" is defined as the bureaucracy).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X