• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Do I get vat refunded?"

Collapse

• TheCyclingProgrammer
    replied
    The above is mostly correct but lets not forget that the net cost you charge to your client whether it be net of the original VAT, gross, a flat or fixed rate etc. is all a matter of contractual agreement, just as TheFaQQer said above. If the agency is doing self-billing and is re-billing your expenses net of the original VAT because that's what the contract says, this is not fraudulent.

HMRC don't care because its nothing to do with them unless you're not charging VAT correctly. Assuming the expense isn't a disbursement, they don't care what you are charging your client as long as you are adding VAT on top of it and everybody is paying the VAT they owe.

Leave a comment:

• Sausage Surprise
    replied
    Nicked from someone on here years ago.....

Since you are VAT registered you are required to charge VAT on all invoices to your clients (in this case, the agency). The VAT you have already paid in your expenses is part of your cost of sales, so it is entirely legitimate that you add VAT to it - the underlying logic is that you have "added value" by performing the service itself, hence the tax is due. It is a myth that you are charging VAT on VAT, that doesn't actually matter at all. Nor is it a cost you your agency, since they will recover any VAT they pay out from their own clients.

By removing the VAT element the agency is effectively reducing their own tax bill at your expense. Hence, fraudulent behaviour.

This is all spelt out on the HMRC website (somewhere!!) and in Tolleys and in accepted practice. However, looking at the end-to-end transaction chain the nett VAT actually paid to HMRC works out the same, so they don't really care either way, it's only you that is losing money. You should speak to your own accountant for the official argument.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by tractor View Post
    Which is another can of worms and potentially, you should have charged the client £180 + VAT (£36) = £216
    Only if that is what has been agreed with the client. You invoice the client what has been agreed with the client, regardless of the reimbursement to the employee.

If the agreement with the client is that you invoice the net amount, then that's what you do and suck up that cost as necessary; if the agreement with the client is that you invoice the gross amount and then add VAT to that, then that's what you invoice; if the agreement with the client is that you invoice a flat rate, then that's what you invoice.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Christ it's thirty quid, what the issue?

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    https://www.planitservices.co.uk/VAT..._Expenses.html

This explains it quite nicely.

Leave a comment:

• onthegreen
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    The employee gets his £180 back from the company (yourCo).

YourCo gets the VAT back by reclaiming it from HMRC.

Because you're on the flat rate scheme, you don't reclaim VAT on individual expenses. The 'profit' from the flat rate scheme is intended to cover the VAT on purchases.
    +1, got it now.

Leave a comment:

• onthegreen
    replied
    Did you read tractor's link?

Particularly the section headed 'What isn't a disbursement for VAT purposes'

YourCo charges VAT because you've 'added value' to the expense.

What examples have you read? Links?
    I know and i understand it. I just need to see the full journey and money inflows and outflows...

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by onthegreen View Post
    It is funny because all the examples i read say that you should include your expense in the invoice net of VAT, in my example, £150, and then charge the VAT you charge. That is what my accountant says also but doing it this way i dont quite understand how the employee gets his £180 back
    The employee gets his £180 back from the company (yourCo).

YourCo gets the VAT back by reclaiming it from HMRC.

Because you're on the flat rate scheme, you don't reclaim VAT on individual expenses. The 'profit' from the flat rate scheme is intended to cover the VAT on purchases.

Leave a comment:

• onthegreen
    replied
    Because the two transactions are distinctly different - not connected at all. One is an expense to your business and the other is a VAT input. You are trying to tie them together to reconcile them, that is not the way it works.
    Yes, i fully understand that. i just would like to see the entire use case. Again, on the understanding that they are not at all connected.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    It is funny because all the examples i read say that you should include your expense in the invoice net of VAT, in my example, £150, and then charge the VAT you charge. That is what my accountant says also but doing it this way i dont quite understand how the employee gets his £180 back
    Did you read tractor's link?

Particularly the section headed 'What isn't a disbursement for VAT purposes'

YourCo charges VAT because you've 'added value' to the expense.

What examples have you read? Links?

Leave a comment:

• tractor
    replied

Because the two transactions are distinctly different - not connected at all. One is an expense to your business and the other is a VAT input. You are trying to tie them together to reconcile them, that is not the way it works.

Leave a comment:

• onthegreen
    replied
    Yes, yourCo either charges VAT on the expense incurred inc VAT, or takes the hit. The 'profit' on the flat rate scheme is intended to cover that.

One possibility for the future to avoid double VAT is for the client to pay the expense direct if they and yourCo are happy to do this.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    The expense is an agency fee the consultant paid to rent a flat
    Yes, yourCo either charges VAT on the expense incurred inc VAT, or takes the hit. The 'profit' on the flat rate scheme is intended to cover that.

One possibility for the future to avoid double VAT is for the client to pay the expense direct if they and yourCo are happy to do this.

Leave a comment:

• onthegreen
    replied
    Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
    Yes. I assume the OP is talking about travel expenses, but who knows...
    The expense is an agency fee the consultant paid to rent a flat

Leave a comment:

• onthegreen
    replied
    Which is another can of worms and potentially, you should have charged the client £180 + VAT (£36) = £216

HMRC's view This has been argued here forever and I have yet to find an agent that actually understands it
    Thats what i think as well. The 216 goes to my company account who need to pay HMRC the VAT (£36) and then £180 to he employee who recovers exactly the amount he paid.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X