• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Moving from umbrella to ltd on renewal"

Collapse

• ContrataxLtd
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    But wouldn't he still fail the 40% rule? He has still been there over 40% of the time over a two year period regardless where his permanent place assumed to be?
    The 40% rule would only kick in once he's been there, or expects to be there over 24 months. Up until that point, the contract, in my opinion is at a temporary workplace.

Martin
    Contratax Ltd

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by ContrataxLtd View Post
    Hi Spelling Bee

Just to give my 2p's worth.

Joe's time at Bank #1 was a permanent location because he had no other location for work i.e. had had to work at the bank under that employment. Now that he's gone contracting his permanent location is his home office and Bank #2 becomes a temporary location so he can start claiming travel expenses up until the point he expects to be at that same location for over 24 months which in this case appears to be for the first 6 months of contracting there.

One thing a lot of people forget it that for a location to be temporary there has to be another location that is the permanent location, if there isn't then by default the first location is a permanent one and it is for this reason that employees can't claim for ordinary commuting.

HTH

Martin
    Contratax Ltd
    But wouldn't he still fail the 40% rule? He has still been there over 40% of the time over a two year period regardless where his permanent place assumed to be?
    Last edited by northernladuk; 18 June 2014, 23:25.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by speling bee View Post
    I meant NLUK really.
    But if the cap fits....

Leave a comment:

• speling bee
    replied
    Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
    I meant NLUK really.

Leave a comment:

• Clare@InTouch
    replied
    Why have a dog and bark yourself?

Leave a comment:

• speling bee
    replied
    Try a search
    Why have a dog and bark yourself?

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    I've heard this. How does this state of affairs come about?
    Try a search

Leave a comment:

• ContrataxLtd
    replied
    That doesn't make sense to me. If I have no Ltd company and no job and get a temp job at an office for a week, are you saying that it is a permanent workplace because it cannot be a temporary workplace because there is no other permanent workplace?
    Yes.

You would presumably be either employed by the actual client/employer on their payroll in which case it's a permanent workplace (even if it will only be for a day) or you will be employed by an agency and still probably couldn't claim anything because your permanent workplace would be the end client and not the agency (unless they have an umbrella type contract with an overarching contract of employment).

Clare has covered the Umbrella point which also covers this nicely too.

Martin
    Contratax Ltd

Leave a comment:

• speling bee
    replied
    Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
    It's due to the fixed term appointment rule.

EIM32125 - Travel expenses: travel for necessary attendance: fixed term appointments and agency workers: fixed term appointments

A period of attendance at a workplace for a limited duration does not make that place a temporary workplace if the employee attends in the course of a period of continuous work (see EIM32080) that can be expected to last for all, or almost all, of the period for which he or she is likely to hold, or continue to hold, that employment. In these cases the 24 month rule (see EIM32080) is overridden and the workplace is a permanent workplace.
    Thanks Clare.

Leave a comment:

• Clare@InTouch
    replied
    It's due to the fixed term appointment rule.

EIM32125 - Travel expenses: travel for necessary attendance: fixed term appointments and agency workers: fixed term appointments

A period of attendance at a workplace for a limited duration does not make that place a temporary workplace if the employee attends in the course of a period of continuous work (see EIM32080) that can be expected to last for all, or almost all, of the period for which he or she is likely to hold, or continue to hold, that employment. In these cases the 24 month rule (see EIM32080) is overridden and the workplace is a permanent workplace.

Leave a comment:

• speling bee
    replied
    Don't forget resigning from the umbrella after only one assignment automatically makes it the perm workplace.

Leave a comment:

• speling bee
    replied
    More by definition than anything, for someone to be going somewhere for a temporary basis there has to be somewhere that the go to permanently at other times.
    That doesn't make sense to me. If I have no Ltd company and no job and get a temp job at an office for a week, are you saying that it is a permanent workplace because it cannot be a temporary workplace because there is no other permanent workplace?

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Don't forget resigning from the umbrella after only one assignment automatically makes it the perm workplace.

Leave a comment:

• ContrataxLtd
    replied
    Thanks, Martin. But where does it say there must be a permanent location. That's news to me.
    More by definition than anything, for someone to be going somewhere for a temporary basis there has to be somewhere that the go to permanently at other times.

By default, all workplaces are permanent unless they are temporary:

Travel expenses: travel for necessary attendance: definitions: permanent workplace

and in particular:

A workplace is not a permanent workplace if it is a temporary workplace. A temporary workplace is somewhere the employee goes only to perform a task of limited duration or for a temporary purpose. The cost of travel to a temporary workplace is deductible.
    Martin
    Contratax Ltd

Leave a comment:

• speling bee
    replied
    Hi Spelling Bee

Just to give my 2p's worth.

Joe's time at Bank #1 was a permanent location because he had no other location for work i.e. had had to work at the bank under that employment. Now that he's gone contracting his permanent location is his home office and Bank #2 becomes a temporary location so he can start claiming travel expenses up until the point he expects to be at that same location for over 24 months which in this case appears to be for the first 6 months of contracting there.

One thing a lot of people forget it that for a location to be temporary there has to be another location that is the permanent location, if there isn't then by default the first location is a permanent one and it is for this reason that employees can't claim for ordinary commuting.

HTH

Martin
    Contratax Ltd
    Thanks, Martin. But where does it say there must be a permanent location. That's news to me. E.g.

EIM32075 - Travel expenses: travel for necessary attendance: definitions: temporary workplace

EIM32075 - Travel expenses: travel for necessary attendance: definitions: temporary workplace
    Section 339(3) ITEPA 2003
    A workplace is a temporary workplace if an employee goes there only to perform a task of limited duration or for a temporary purpose. So even where an employee attends a workplace regularly, it will be a temporary workplace and so not a permanent workplace, if the employee attends for the purpose of performing a task of limited duration or other temporary purpose.

Limited duration is explained at EIM32080.

Temporary purpose is explained at EIM32150.

If a workplace is capable of being a temporary workplace by reference to this rule, you must consider the following additional rules:

the 24 month rule, see EIM32080
    the fixed term appointment rule, see EIM32125
    the depots and bases rule, see EIM32160
    the area rule, see EIM32190
    These rules can only apply if the workplace is capable of being a temporary workplace by reference to S339(3).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X