• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Queen's Speech 2014: National Insurance Bill"

Collapse

• Zero Liability
    replied
    Looks like the TAAR is focused on offshore intermediaries/employment intermediaries promoting false self employment.

Leave a comment:

• LisaContractorUmbrella
    replied
    The relevant sections would seem to be:

"The Bill would allow HMRC to seek an accelerated payment of the NIC's in dispute where a follower notice has been issued and the tax payer had decided not to settle the dispute"

"The Bill would allow accelerated payments also to be soufht from taxpayers involved in schemes that had to be disclosed under the DOTAS rules (as applied to NICs) and under the GAAR (also as applied to NIC's) where the advisory panel had given its opinion that the arrangements were not reasonable"

"The Bill would introduce a TAAR focusing on whether arrangements have been set up to avoid or to pay less NIC's"

Leave a comment:

• helen7
    replied
    Originally posted by tractor View Post
    Don't forget they snuck in the enabling legislation for IR35 hidden inside the welfare reform bill....never judge a book....
    What's this?

Leave a comment:

• Manu
    replied
    More links to details on what's included

Queen's Speech: Tax avoiders told to pay up front in new guilty-before-trial law - Telegraph

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...-means-for-you

Leave a comment:

• tractor
    replied

Don't forget they snuck in the enabling legislation for IR35 hidden inside the welfare reform bill....never judge a book....

Leave a comment:

• TheCyclingProgrammer
    replied
    This more than likely refers to both the new self-employment anti-abuse rules targeted at agencies and the move to being able to pay your Class 2 NIC each year through your SA rather than via monthly direct debit.

Leave a comment:

• matzie
    replied
    Sure, I'm an employee of MyCo so not self-employed in that sense. But I'd be very surprised if whatever this turns out to mean only applies to schedule-d-style self-employed persons...

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
    From an employment law perspective he probably is. I don't know which perspective HMRC would choose to use when they come looking for more cash.
    From a national insurance perspective, there is a BIG difference between being self employed and working for a company that you own.

Leave a comment:

• Manu
    replied
    It's here

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...peech-2014.pdf

Please refer to Page 20 - 22

Leave a comment:

• SpontaneousOrder
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Are you self-employed?
    From an employment law perspective he probably is. I don't know which perspective HMRC would choose to use when they come looking for more cash.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by matzie View Post
    "In respect of national insurance contributions, legislation will be brought forward to tackle avoidance and to simplify their collection from the self-employed."

Not sure I like the sound of that...
    Are you self-employed?

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    I think this is just the stuff in the Finance Bill (carried over from the last session) surrounding false self-employment, nothing new.

Leave a comment:

• TheDandy
    replied
    I suspect we should get used to hearing more of it.

Avoidance really is the buzzword ain't it! No reason as far as I can see that our new tickling stick 'APN' can't be deployed in similar fashion.

Leave a comment:

• matzie
    started a topic Queen's Speech 2014: National Insurance Bill

Queen's Speech 2014: National Insurance Bill

"In respect of national insurance contributions, legislation will be brought forward to tackle avoidance and to simplify their collection from the self-employed."

Not sure I like the sound of that...

Working...
X