• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "House of Lords review & IR35, PCG"

Collapse

• Zero Liability
    replied
    What a shocker.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by Zero Liability View Post
    Does look like they're making HMRC clarify it further, though.
    With good reason.

Leave a comment:

• Zero Liability
    replied
    Here's the response it got. Not awfully auspicious. Apparently the govt trusts HMRC's figures, well just because. Does look like they're making HMRC clarify it further, though.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Maybe the Lib Dems can bring back to memory their promise to abolish IR35 now.
    It's just behind their promise to abolish the Digital Economy Act ("It badly needs to be repealed"; ""take it off the statue book and replace it with something better"), and to vote against any increase in student fees....

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    I guess Giant's intelligent remarks paid dividends.

More seriously though, this is good news. If HMRC fails to substantiate its figures, which PCG seems quite confident it won't be able to produce, it could ring the death knell for IR35. As it is, there was little evidence to suggest the Lords are of the opinion that its enforcement should be more stringent, and they seem to be in favour of harmonising NI and income tax, which will make it redundant. Maybe the Lib Dems can bring back to memory their promise to abolish IR35 now.
    On the whole, I agree, but I think the best one could expect from scrutiny of HMRC's claims about the deterrent effect would be for the figures and the methodology that produced them to be dismissed (as they will be), but the argument about there being a significant deterrent effect that is difficult to quantify would likely be enough for inaction, despite the onus being on HMRC to justify the deterrent effect in quantitative (cost/benefit) terms. It's appropriate that the lack of ministerial evidence was slammed by the Committee, but I think that indicates the level of apathy towards any action.

Leave a comment:

• Zero Liability
    replied
    I guess Giant's intelligent remarks paid dividends.

More seriously though, this is good news. If HMRC fails to substantiate its figures, which PCG seems quite confident it won't be able to produce, it could ring the death knell for IR35. As it is, there was little evidence to suggest the Lords are of the opinion that its enforcement should be more stringent, and they seem to be in favour of harmonising NI and income tax, which will make it redundant. Maybe the Lib Dems can bring back to memory their promise to abolish IR35 now.

Leave a comment:

• GB9
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    ...and PCG's response is here

It seems the noble Lords do have a brain, after all...
    Yes, pleasantly surprised when I read it.

HMRC's figures don't align to each other. The figure used for each part of their calculation appears to be from a different source.

I particularly liked the suggestion that they had been unhelpful.
    Last edited by GB9; 7 April 2014, 07:30.

Leave a comment:

• GB9
    replied
    May I refer you to the post above yours.

The outcome is a lot better than it could have been.

Reading between the lines it says hmrc have an unconvincing argument.
    Last edited by GB9; 7 April 2014, 07:24. Reason: typo

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied

...and PCG's response is here

It seems the noble Lords do have a brain, after all...

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Haven't read it yet...

House of Lords - Personal Service Companies - Select Committee on Personal Service Companies

Recommendations:

http://www.publications.parliament.u.../160/16010.htm

Leave a comment:

• GB9
    replied
    BET questions to be revisited and align to law
    IR35 forum members to be reviewed
    HMRC to do sme work to justify their figure of £550m at threat

Leave a comment:

• habanero
    replied
    Originally posted by GB9 View Post
    I can't open it at present. Have they reinstated his naming and shaming of colleagues and their company name and address? The bloke seemed to have issues.
    Sadly, they have not......It's such a shame that that particular version of the report has been wiped off the face of the internet with not even a cashed or historic site containing a copy and I'm somewhat surprised that no one seems (sadly) to have a copy at hand seeing that most browsers download the pdf onto the system before displaying......re his popularity, talk about persona non grata - word on the street is that he had (allegely) gone back to work for some of the entities he has named in his (now apparently censored) evidence and it would be fun to know if he is still?

Lastly and using the words of Tennessee Williams:

"The only thing worse than a liar is a liar that's also a hypocrite!"

Leave a comment:

• LisaContractorUmbrella
    replied
    Originally posted by Waldorf View Post
    Are you surprised?

Public sector can never deliver to a timetable, especially when out of touch lords are involved. I would expect that they will release it on the day before Good Friday, when no-one will be interested.
    The report will be out on Monday Lords to publish Personal Service Companies report - News from Parliament - UK Parliament

Leave a comment:

• Waldorf
    replied
    Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
    Yeah, not a sausage on the Select Committee's website.
    Are you surprised?

Public sector can never deliver to a timetable, especially when out of touch lords are involved. I would expect that they will release it on the day before Good Friday, when no-one will be interested.

Leave a comment:

• Zero Liability
    replied
    Perhaps it's for the better.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X