• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Pensions

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Pensions"

Collapse

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by yasockie View Post
    So (8.25+3)*2=22.5%, almost a quarter of of my annual salary gets contributed, which must be good?
    I was going to comment on this cos it does;t look right but I'm arseholed now...

Chimay....

Leave a comment:

• yasockie
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    How it works for permies is that you make a "voluntary" pension contribution from your pre-tax salary, say 5%. Your employer then puts in an amount as well; in the case quoted, 8.25%. So your pot grows by 13.25% of your gross a year. Of course, you have effectively reduced your gross by 5% and your employer is only paying ErNICs on 95% of your gross so his 8.25% is actually around 7%.

So comparing it to YourCo's position isn't straightforward. Speak to an expert.
    So (8.25+3)*2=22.5%, almost a quarter of of my annual salary gets contributed, which must be good?

Leave a comment:

• Vandalay
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    ...and they'll sell you the one they get the biggest kickback from....
    They can't do that since RDR last year. It's all fee based now.

Leave a comment:

• Martin at NixonWilliams
    replied
    Originally posted by kevpuk View Post
    Don't need to buy - good for first-base explanations and advice
    I agree - It's always good to have a free consultation just to get an idea of what's out there, then do your own research and compare what you have been offered with what the providers can offer you directly.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    How it works for permies is that you make a "voluntary" pension contribution from your pre-tax salary, say 5%. Your employer then puts in an amount as well; in the case quoted, 8.25%. So your pot grows by 13.25% of your gross a year. Of course, you have effectively reduced your gross by 5% and your employer is only paying ErNICs on 95% of your gross so his 8.25% is actually around 7%.

So comparing it to YourCo's position isn't straightforward. Speak to an expert.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Civil service pension is usually a 'final salary' scheme, so removes the whole uncertainty element which is what I hate about pensions. Sounds like a good scheme to be in.

Leave a comment:

• kevpuk
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    Don't need to buy - good for first-base explanations and advice

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by kevpuk View Post
    Go speak to an IFA - by far the best starting point IMHO

Leave a comment:

• kevpuk
    replied
    Go speak to an IFA - by far the best starting point IMHO

Leave a comment:

• yasockie
    started a topic Pensions

Pensions

It's hard to admit that, but I am clueless about pensions.
    Just to gauge a permie offer against my Ltd income, I would like to compare the whole package, which includes as they described, a generous pension scheme.
    It is a public sector client and they use this: JSS (Joint Superannuation Services)
    What does 8.25% mean - does the employer contribute 8.25% of my annual salary?
    It seem that they will match an extra 3%, which also seems nice.

Finally, until now I've had to invest most of my Ltd profits back into the business and I was unable to set up such a generous scheme for myself. Does it make sense for some reason, to start that now and transfer to the above so that it counts as an extra year or some similar benefit?

Finally, I know there's quite a few places on the web, where I could read a lot more about pensions, can you recommend any particular ones?

Working...
X