• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Tax on retained profit"

Collapse

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Get a good accountant and spend a lot of time understanding this. You are legally responsible for your finances and the mess I am sure they are in.
    Why get an accountant when it's cheaper to screw it all up yourself?

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Get a good accountant and spend a lot of time understanding this. You are legally responsible for your finances and the mess I am sure they are in.

Leave a comment:

• Craig at Nixon Williams
    replied
    Originally posted by jubilee View Post

- In order to keep CT down, you also then decide to take a dividend for £20K to not exceed the basic rate tax limit)

Thanks
    Paying dividends will not reduce your liability to CT - dividends are distributed to the shareholders from the company's retained earnings after corporation tax has been provided for.

Hope this explains!
    Craig

Leave a comment:

• jubilee
    replied
    Clare, Craig, Wanderer - thanks very much for the explanation.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
    Kiss ass stuff
    Wanderer you do gooder. Only you would be polite to someone that is trolling for giggles.

Leave a comment:

• Wanderer
    replied
    Jubilee, you are (mostly) on the right track. As the others have said, your tax free salary is an expense which reduces your profit. You then pay 20% CT on your profit and what's left can be paid to the shareholders as a dividend with no further tax to pay, provided the shareholders aren't higher rate tax payers.

Be aware that the calculation of the amount of dividend for tax purposes is a bit goofy and the net dividend the shareholder gets paid is not the same as the gross dividend the tax man uses to determine the tax bracket.

Any additional post tax profit can be retained in the company to be paid out in a quiet year or for a capital distribution when you eventually wind up the company.

You definitely need to get in touch with a helpful accountant, or maybe even two.

Originally posted by jubilee View Post
    In an accounting year you make £80K
    If your turnover is £80k then it's a false economy not to have one because you can easily make expensive mistakes in your tax planning.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    There might be a few years waiting period ...
    Two of my connections are still connected with him.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    As others have said, I think you need an accountant, this guy comes recommended

Darren J Upton | LinkedIn
    There might be a few years waiting period ...

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by kingcook View Post
    Current:
    Taking a break
    A nice long one somewhere crowded with a poor view.

Leave a comment:

• kingcook
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post

Current:
    Taking a break

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Please please please please tell me you have an accountant or are just about to get one!!!!

EDIT : Your posting history makes from grim reading. You have had a LTD since 2011 and you have to ask when SA's are due. In 2012 you didn't know the difference between dividends and salary and now you don't even know how to account for dividends. You have got to be a troll, a poor one at that.
    ...or spent the money!

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Please please please please tell me you have an accountant or are just about to get one!!!!

EDIT : Your posting history makes from grim reading. You have had a LTD since 2011 and you have to ask when SA's are due. In 2012 you didn't know the difference between dividends and salary and now you don't even know how to account for dividends. You have got to be a troll, a poor one at that.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 27 June 2013, 17:10.

Leave a comment:

• Craig@Clarity
    replied
    The basic maths behind this is:

Turnover = £80k
    Less PAYE (Gross salary) = £7k
    Net profit = £73k

CT @ 20% on profit = £14.6k

Retained profits = £58.4k

Retained profits is where you then take divi's from as Clare mentioned.

Leave a comment:

• Clare@InTouch
    replied
    Income tax? No.

CT - yes, on the profit before dividends.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X