• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Setting up a new business bank account; timescales"

Collapse

• Anne
    replied
    Disappointed with HSBC

Hello. I've been hugely disappointed with HSBC regarding setting up my business account. After a 30 minute phone interview (I was told all this needs to be done via the phone these days), I was assured I'd receive my banking information and credit/debit cards in the mail in a few days. More than a week passed, so I called to check in and someone else said forms were coming for me to sign (they hadn't yet been sent), which I'd have to mail back. Only then would I receive my business account information. I'm guessing this will take three weeks when all is done. I never would have chosen HSBC if they'd been honest about this timescale.

Leave a comment:

• Jessica@WhiteFieldTax
    replied
    Originally posted by Blackdog View Post
    Hi Jessica, I'm thinking of opening a business account with Cater Allen; what sort of turnaround times are you experiencing - it doesn't sound too promising from what you've said? Shame, as they were excellent when I used them years ago.
    'about 14 days at the moment if everything is smooth and the paperwork is right.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• Blackdog
    replied
    Originally posted by Jessica@WhiteFieldTax View Post
    Greg (or anyone else) - has anyone tried Barclays e-synch yet? This is their offering for accountants, and in theory you can apply for a account online, and then book the client a appointment at their nearest branch.

We've got the trial but haven't used it yet, however the indifference of Cater Allen's account opening bods is driving things that way.

Incidentally, for anyone reading this in the future, an accountant dealing with Cater Allen will have a list of pre allocated account numbers - this doesn't speed up the account opening process, but does mean the account number is available at the outset with the paperwork catching up.
    Hi Jessica, I'm thinking of opening a business account with Cater Allen; what sort of turnaround times are you experiencing - it doesn't sound too promising from what you've said? Shame, as they were excellent when I used them years ago.

Leave a comment:

• Jessica@WhiteFieldTax
    replied
    Greg (or anyone else) - has anyone tried Barclays e-synch yet? This is their offering for accountants, and in theory you can apply for a account online, and then book the client a appointment at their nearest branch.

We've got the trial but haven't used it yet, however the indifference of Cater Allen's account opening bods is driving things that way.

Incidentally, for anyone reading this in the future, an accountant dealing with Cater Allen will have a list of pre allocated account numbers - this doesn't speed up the account opening process, but does mean the account number is available at the outset with the paperwork catching up.

Leave a comment:

• Greg@CapitalCity
    replied
    Yep, our friends at HSBC can open the account about 30mins after a face-to-face meeting. They are the fastest we are aware of. RBS should be able to do it faster than a week - our mates at RBS take 3 days (it was going to be faster once Santander took over.....but that all fell over).

To be fair, depending on your billing cycle, opening a business account in a week is probably OK - you might just need to delay your first invoice a day or two.

Leave a comment:

• NimbleJackAccounting
    replied
    Hi

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Set up in 30 mins or applied for?
    Application in 30 minutes, then bank send you out pre filled form to sign.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by NimbleJackAccounting View Post
    Cater Allen and HSBC work well for us. Set you up within 30 minutes on the phone for our clients!
    Set up in 30 mins or applied for?

Leave a comment:

• NimbleJackAccounting
    replied
    Setup within hours

Cater Allen and HSBC work well for us. Set you up within 30 minutes on the phone for our clients!
    Originally posted by parkerdigital View Post
    Hi everyone,

I've just won my first contract (yahoo) starting next week, and am setting up a business bank account for the first time. I've been recommended RBS by my accountant (I think they have some kind of 'special arrangement'), who are telling me that it will take about a week to get the account up and running as I'll need to take my forms into a branch, who will then send them off to be processed. Is this normal? Are there any banks who can process/set up business accounts in branch?

Thanks,
    Robin

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    What HSBC use to do is do a credit check on you there and then, give you an account number and then you would have to wait a week to get stuff like card, cheque book etc in the post/collect at the branch.

However you should phone up whatever bank you decide to use and ask them what ID you need to open a business bank account.

Leave a comment:

• Jessica@WhiteFieldTax
    replied
    Alas none of the banks are that quick. A week is, in fact, pretty good going.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by parkerdigital View Post
    Hi everyone,

I've just won my first contract (yahoo) starting next week, and am setting up a business bank account for the first time. I've been recommended RBS by my accountant (I think they have some kind of 'special arrangement'), who are telling me that it will take about a week to get the account up and running as I'll need to take my forms into a branch, who will then send them off to be processed. Is this normal? Are there any banks who can process/set up business accounts in branch?

Thanks,
    Robin
    Yeah this is about right, when I set my account up with NatWest it went to a central location (in Wimbledon I think) so it looks like they handle it for the whole RBS group, should be a problem as you won't be submitting your first invoice yet so plenty of time

Leave a comment:

• aoxomoxoa
    replied
    I set mine up over the counter, with HSBC. Took about 30 minutes all told. I think it was so quick because I already had a personal current a/c with them.

Don't forget you'll need to have your Limited Co documentation with you.

Leave a comment:

• parkerdigital
    started a topic Setting up a new business bank account; timescales

Setting up a new business bank account; timescales

Hi everyone,

Thanks,
    Robin

Working...
X