• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Large Capital Purchase - One Supplier, Multiple Invoices"

Collapse

• captainham
    replied
    Originally posted by lithium147 View Post
    Its prolly not worth it but:
    One could set up a (non-VAT FRS) company to buy disparate products, and sell them to contractor companies as single transactions.

Most people set up a business to sell whatever it is they offer and make money from doing so. Your business appears to rely on making money from creaming the tax system.

Curious.

Leave a comment:

• lithium147
    replied
    Its prolly not worth it but:
    One could set up a (non-VAT FRS) company to buy disparate products, and sell them to contractor companies as single transactions.

Leave a comment:

• lithium147
    replied
    If you are paying 25% on your dividends, then you can also add that on to the effective savings..

Leave a comment:

• Scrag Meister
    replied
    Originally posted by Maslins View Post
    Eh? I'd be interested to see the calculations for that. Say the purchase is £2k net, £2.4k gross:

If you can reclaim VAT, after tax relief you could argue the cost to your business is only £1.6k (£2.4k less £400 VAT reclaimed = £2k, 20% CT relief --> £1.6k).

If you can't reclaim VAT, you simply get CT relief on the whole £2.4k at 20%, arguable net cost to the business is therefore £1,920.

Difference being £320, (ie the £400 VAT less 20% CT). Sounds like a very worthwhile saving to me.

Are my calculations flawed? (it is Friday so give me a break if so...!)
    This is my thinking too, and the way I work for capital purchases.

Leave a comment:

• Maslins
    replied
    Originally posted by Notascooby View Post
    I think it ws Mal that pointed out that the difference in claiming VAT and not for a £2K purchase was something like £20 difference on the books (it may have been more but not much).

i.e. If you claim VAT then expense is off-set - VAT, if you don't claim VAT the whole amount is off-set so difference is small until you start buying very big toys.
    Eh? I'd be interested to see the calculations for that. Say the purchase is £2k net, £2.4k gross:

If you can reclaim VAT, after tax relief you could argue the cost to your business is only £1.6k (£2.4k less £400 VAT reclaimed = £2k, 20% CT relief --> £1.6k).

If you can't reclaim VAT, you simply get CT relief on the whole £2.4k at 20%, arguable net cost to the business is therefore £1,920.

Difference being £320, (ie the £400 VAT less 20% CT). Sounds like a very worthwhile saving to me.

Are my calculations flawed? (it is Friday so give me a break if so...!)

Leave a comment:

• JamJarST
    replied
    Originally posted by Notascooby View Post
    I think it ws Mal that pointed out that the difference in claiming VAT and not for a £2K purchase was something like £20 difference on the books (it may have been more but not much).

i.e. If you claim VAT then expense is off-set - VAT, if you don't claim VAT the whole amount is off-set so difference is small until you start buying very big toys.
    Yes thats true, but there is a cash flow benefit of claiming the VAT. The saving in CT is only realised over a year later, whereas the VAT saving is within 4 months.

Leave a comment:

• Notascooby
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Scrag Meister
    replied
    I placed an (1) order with Dell, and they split it into 3 orders and 3 invoices, presumably different suppliers for different items.

I contacted them and told them that I needed one invoice for the whole £2k+ order.

They aggregated the invoices into 1 for me. speak to the supplier they may be able to do something similar.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by lithium147 View Post
    I was going to do a similar thing with amazon, but my accountant advised against it..
    I feel sorry for your accountant. You see your business as opportunity to fudge your expenses and he is trying to keep you on the straight and narrow.

Leave a comment:

• lithium147
    replied
    I was going to do a similar thing with amazon, but my accountant advised against it..

Leave a comment:

• rambaugh
    replied
    Originally posted by dino1300 View Post
    Is this known to be correct? I have put an order in to Apple, but 1 item is on back order for 2 weeks, and 1 for 4 weeks, and I would like them to ship what they can ASAP.

Except I don't think Apple fulfill orders under one invoice in two parts. They will hold delivery until all items in the order are available for them to deliver in one go. If they didn't do it this way they would incur separate delivery charges which I don't believe would be covered in the invoice.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by dino1300 View Post
    Is this known to be correct? I have put an order in to Apple, but 1 item is on back order for 2 weeks, and 1 for 4 weeks, and I would like them to ship what they can ASAP.
    But you paid for them in the same transaction though? Bought and delivered are not the same you know.

Leave a comment:

• dino1300
    replied
    Originally posted by Craig@InTouch View Post
    WMS

If it is a single purchase i.e. you bought them on the same day as one payment then it is fine to claim the VAT.

Leave a comment:

• Craig@Clarity
    replied
    Good luck...Hope it ends well

Leave a comment:

• ThomserveBAS
    replied
    Phoned HMRC, they knew nothing, phoned accountants (for the fifth time on this subject) and they "chased it up" - informing me that their electronic submission "failed somewhere along the line" and that "they didn't know about it".

Oh well, they are resubmitting it now so the clock starts again.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X