• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Going direct with client..."

Collapse

• Taita
    replied
    Originally posted by ChestyLaRue View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I did mention to my hiring manager re: the 45 day payment terms however he said it would be difficult to change it. Its quite a large company so I am not worried about the credit rating etc, just that when summat does go wrong it's harder to find the right person to fix it.

Cheers

C
    When you get started try to meet/talk with the accounts person responsible for processing your invoice. Your reason is that you want to make sure you follow procedure/rules for invoicing correctly and thus not add to their already problematic job. Turn on the charm if you can.

Subsequently, if payment is delayed you can save much time by going directly to the person resonsible for issuing payment. It is then much easier to establish where in the chain there is a hold up (maybe two signatures are required to authorise a work/time sheet and one of them is nearly always off base or maybe you forgot to put the purchase order number on the invoice).

Good luck.
    Last edited by Taita; 31 August 2012, 16:48. Reason: spelling

Leave a comment:

• ChestyLaRue
    replied
    Thanks for the replies. I did mention to my hiring manager re: the 45 day payment terms however he said it would be difficult to change it. Its quite a large company so I am not worried about the credit rating etc, just that when summat does go wrong it's harder to find the right person to fix it.

Cheers

C

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    I'm direct and used the PCG standard contract. All's good so far.

Leave a comment:

• FiveTimes
    replied
    I'm direct and I was worried about the payment terms of 30 days.
    However it has turned out to quite random and nothing like whats stated in the contract.
    I can invoice weekly and it hits the account roughly 10 days later.

If you know the client then try and get the terms down from 45days.

Leave a comment:

• speling bee
    replied
    Originally posted by ChestyLaRue View Post
    Thanks all for the replies.

The client has 45day payment terms. Seems high. But kind of have to agree as thats what all the contractors are on apparently.

C
    I would probably just about accept this if I had no conerns about the company's ability to pay. If you do, you can probably do a credit check quite cheaply. Not sure how but others could advise. If you have monthly invoicing, you must get the invoice in on the day and expect payment on the day as you already have up to 11 weeks credit.

Leave a comment:

• Scrag Meister
    replied
    No ethical issue after 8 months, or contractual, but you should check your previous contract at the same client just in case.

As other have said negotiate as short payment terms as you can. Don't just accept the contract you recieve, think of your company's interests.

Ideally, weekly invoice, paid within the following week. I had this as Client Co number 1 and worked for 3 years.

Currently monthly invoice, paid within 21 days. Has worked ok for 18 months.

You know your client better than us, so just be sensible.

GL

Leave a comment:

• ChestyLaRue
    replied
    Thanks all for the replies.

The client has 45day payment terms. Seems high. But kind of have to agree as thats what all the contractors are on apparently.

C

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    WSS. I worked direct for a year or so - never once got paid on time, and wasn't uncommon for them to be sitting on 3 months' money. So make sure you're absolutely clear about payment terms, and don't let it slip the first time or you're setting a precendent.

Leave a comment:

• speling bee
    replied
    Be carefu about invoicing frequency and payment terms. The worst I will accept is monthly invoicing + 30 days. If you are worried about client's ability or willingness to pay, that is two months' cash.

Leave a comment:

• cykophysh39
    replied
    No, Happy contracting.

Make sure you get the Agency rate though, and not the contractor rate. At worst aim for the happy middle ground between the 2 rates

Leave a comment:

• ChestyLaRue
    started a topic Going direct with client...

Going direct with client...

Hi All,

My first post so be gentle.

I was recruited by an agency for a client. I have left said client 8 months ago after my contract finished and went to another contract which was through a different agency.
    Now the manager at the previous client has asked me to come back when my current contract finishes which is soon.

However he would like me to have a direct contract with the client and skip the previous agency. Apart from billing issues are there any other ethical issues with this?

C.

Working...
X