• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Mileage claim on split journeys"

Collapse

• gertysingh
    replied
    Well they better sort out their customs into the country first. As for the Olympics.....how much of it is really being hosted by British companies/by British people. All I've seen so far is to get the British people to be volunteers and to pay the foreigners to manage the event.

Leave a comment:

• pmeswani
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    More chance of that extra lane becoming a runway in the near future IMO.
    Well, I am in favour of an extra runway at Heathrow. I know there's a lot of opposition to this, but, sadly, it is needed, despite the environmental impact.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
    I wonder if Boris will be installing Bike Lanes on the M4 and on parts of the roads into Heathrow.
    More chance of that extra lane becoming a runway in the near future IMO.

Leave a comment:

• pmeswani
    replied
    Originally posted by Craig@InTouch View Post
    You just wait a couple of month when the olympics are on. Better sign up to a Boris bike or invest in some Salomon walking boots!
    I wonder if Boris will be installing Bike Lanes on the M4 and on parts of the roads into Heathrow.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Claim both ways and dont worry about it.

Leave a comment:

• Craig@Clarity
    replied
    Originally posted by dynamicsaxcontractor View Post
    You won't be allowed to use them on the motorway so can't get to the airport on one of them.
    Wonder if they have one for the UK The worldwide hitchhikers agency: go hitchhike for a cheap or free holiday

Other hitcher hiker guides are available - just not sure they're as wacky as our European counterparts!

Leave a comment:

• dynamicsaxcontractor
    replied
    You won't be allowed to use them on the motorway so can't get to the airport on one of them.

Leave a comment:

• Craig@Clarity
    replied
    Originally posted by dynamicsaxcontractor View Post
    What if you dont have a driving license, you cant get hold of a taxi and there are no public transportation?
    www.foldingbikes.co.uk - The Uk's no 1 online folding bike store

Other manufacturers are available

Leave a comment:

• dynamicsaxcontractor
    replied
    But the spouse does not have to make the round trip journey so therefore is not wholly and exclusive. He could drive to the train station and leave the car there until Friday (ignoring obvious Chav issues!) or the wife could wait at the train station from Monday to Friday and then drive back with him (never going to happen). Does the wife driving home after dropping off the employee count as part of journey that relates to the employee attending a temporary workplace? It doesn't! It can be argued that the journey from the train station to home which the wife makes alone is classed as private travel since neither places (train station or home) are the employees workplace and that journey is not one that has to be made for the worker to perform his duties at that workplace (agreed the journey from home TO the train station has to be made in this scenario) S338(5) ITEPA 2003
    What if you dont have a driving license, you cant get hold of a taxi and there are no public transportation?

Leave a comment:

• pmeswani
    replied
    Boris bike
    That counts as swearing. I'm surprised Admin hasn't got a Swear Filter on those 2 words.

I don't mind crowded trains that much these days, if people want to smell my BO, they are welcome to.

Leave a comment:

• Craig@Clarity
    replied
    I know how expensive they can be. It costs me £1.35 to get to Heathrow Central Station by Bus from where I live (and no more than £2.70 to get to Terminal 5) - Each Way, but £15 to £20 by Taxi from where I live One way, and then anything upwards of £20 to get home by Taxi. But it's a case of supply and demand.

It's not cheap, and it covers more than just 45p per mile and a wage.
    You just wait a couple of month when the olympics are on. Better sign up to a Boris bike or invest in some Salomon walking boots!

Leave a comment:

• Craig@Clarity
    replied
    Originally posted by JamJarST View Post
    I see your point, but our argument is that the return journey by the spouse is a direct result of the workers trip to the station and therefore forms part of the whole trip.

But the spouse does not have to make the round trip journey so therefore is not wholly and exclusive. He could drive to the train station and leave the car there until Friday (ignoring obvious Chav issues!) or the wife could wait at the train station from Monday to Friday and then drive back with him (never going to happen). Does the wife driving home after dropping off the employee count as part of journey that relates to the employee attending a temporary workplace? It doesn't! It can be argued that the journey from the train station to home which the wife makes alone is classed as private travel since neither places (train station or home) are the employees workplace and that journey is not one that has to be made for the worker to perform his duties at that workplace (agreed the journey from home TO the train station has to be made in this scenario) S338(5) ITEPA 2003

Leave a comment:

• pmeswani
    replied
    Honestly, not sure. Not an expert in taxi fares (small print is always blurry) but I do know it's costly at times
    I know how expensive they can be. It costs me £1.35 to get to Heathrow Central Station by Bus from where I live (and no more than £2.70 to get to Terminal 5) - Each Way, but £15 to £20 by Taxi from where I live One way, and then anything upwards of £20 to get home by Taxi. But it's a case of supply and demand.

It's not cheap, and it covers more than just 45p per mile and a wage.

Leave a comment:

• Craig@Clarity
    replied
    Doesn't the Taxi fare incorporate some of the costs of returning to the rank?
    Honestly, not sure. Not an expert in taxi fares (small print is always blurry) but I do know it's costly at times

Leave a comment:

• JamJarST
    replied
    I don't think the logic of it being cheaper claiming a round trip compared to a taxi fare is an argument in HMRC's eyes.

Look at the test as to whether it is wholly and exclusive. As the worker, the journey TO the train station and then the onward journey from the train station to client site is the claimable element.
    I see your point, but our argument is that the return journey by the spouse is a direct result of the workers trip to the station and therefore forms part of the whole trip. That would be my argument to HMRC anyway, having said that, personally I would only claim the milage of the trip TO the station on the Monday and FROM on the Friday, especially as it is only £10 (£2 tax) x 2.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X