• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Plan B turnover amount?"

Collapse

• ASB
    replied
    Originally posted by Spoiler View Post
    Quick search: "Margin is measured as ratio, profit as an amount -- in both cases, they measure the difference between cost of materials and revenue. Gross margin/profit do not consider the cost of doing business (ie. payroll, taxes, etc)".

So, what's the technical term for the stuff I'm looking to cost then, i.e. salary, fees, tax, etc? Then I think I'd get something like:

Revenue - cost of materials - "the cost of stuff I'm working out" = profit (£).
    Take your pick.

Expenses
    Overhead

Though a possibly correct term would be "cost of sales". But that wouldn't fit in with what you have above since you have already excluded raw material cost.
    Last edited by ASB; 3 May 2012, 13:39. Reason: Beaten to it by Clare again

Leave a comment:

• Spoiler
    replied
    Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
    Expenses/Admin Expenses
    Thanks again!

Leave a comment:

• Clare@InTouch
    replied
    Quick search: "Margin is measured as ratio, profit as an amount -- in both cases, they measure the difference between cost of materials and revenue. Gross margin/profit do not consider the cost of doing business (ie. payroll, taxes, etc)".

So, what's the technical term for the stuff I'm looking to cost then, i.e. salary, fees, tax, etc? Then I think I'd get something like:

Expenses/Admin Expenses

Leave a comment:

• Spoiler
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Spoiler
    replied
    Originally posted by JamJarST View Post
    Are you the most accounting savvy of the four?
    Probably not, but I'm the one who had a free day today to do some research. Would also explain why I've included fees for accountant & bookkeeper in potential costs.

Leave a comment:

• JamJarST
    replied
    I believe you make a good point. I am trying to work out potential costs to ensure we can create enough margin to make it viable. So I think I should really be interested in the gross margin (profit?), not necessarily total turnover. Some services we sell will have a much better margin than others.

You see - this is all good. I'm learning the basics here (hopefully) so I won't sound completely clueless when I speak to accountants.
    Gross margin is not profit. Are you the most accounting savvy of the four? If you are going into business it is well worth learning basic accounting principals especially if you need to meet with potential incvestors or the bank.

Leave a comment:

• Spoiler
    replied
    Originally posted by v8gaz View Post
    Why is everyone confusing gross profit with turnover?.
    I believe you make a good point. I am trying to work out potential costs to ensure we can create enough margin to make it viable. So I think I should really be interested in the gross margin (profit?), not necessarily total turnover. Some services we sell will have a much better margin than others.

You see - this is all good. I'm learning the basics here (hopefully) so I won't sound completely clueless when I speak to accountants.

Leave a comment:

• JamJarST
    replied
    Originally posted by v8gaz View Post
    Why is everyone confusing gross profit with turnover? We don't know what Plan B does - if its selling widgets with a 10% markup you can multiply that turnover by 10 to achieve suffieicnt profit to pay the wages. As others have said, check what sort of yurnover is achievable with a staff of 4, rather tha working out to pay the wages.
    Because the OP implied that turnover was all margin.

Leave a comment:

• Spoiler
    replied
    Originally posted by Nixon Williams View Post
    Whilst you can get some ideas and pointers on here, please do speak to your accountant who should ask all the right questions and will be able to provide you with good advice.
    Trust me, we WILL be speaking to an accountant BEFORE making any decisions about plan B.

I just wanted to get some basic figures down to set expectations and have some idea when I speak to the accountant(s).

Leave a comment:

• Nixon Williams
    replied
    I would strongly recommend that you speak to your accountant before you do anything.

There are many issues that will need to be considered and if you get them wrong it could be quite costly.

Whilst you can get some ideas and pointers on here, please do speak to your accountant who should ask all the right questions and will be able to provide you with good advice.

Good luck with Plan B.

Alan

Leave a comment:

• v8gaz
    replied
    Why is everyone confusing gross profit with turnover? We don't know what Plan B does - if its selling widgets with a 10% markup you can multiply that turnover by 10 to achieve suffieicnt profit to pay the wages. As others have said, check what sort of yurnover is achievable with a staff of 4, rather tha working out to pay the wages.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Remember dividends are only paid out of profit as well. If you don't do well 4 of you don't get full (or expected) renumeration.....

Leave a comment:

• Contreras
    replied
    Yes, sorry. All directors are shareholders - 25% share.
    What happens if one of the party puts in considerably more than 1/4 share of effort, or another wants to slack off for a while?

I know you can have different share categories and/or mess around with dividend waivers. It's basically using dividends as a NI-free remuneration tactic - when I looked at this some time ago I received conflicting advice, one accountant said no problem and another said don't go there.

Leave a comment:

• Clare@InTouch
    replied
    Originally posted by JamJarST View Post
    So based on your figures if the OP just wants to break even, then £139556 would be the required turnover.
    Exactly. Add on any other expenses like legal/professional fees, and that gives the required turnover to break even.

If he's wanting to pay dividends then he'd require a certain profit, and that would involve more convoluted calculations re CT.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Just realized: £36000 x 4 = £144,000 per annum on my calculator!
    Bloody Lotus 123.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X