• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Flat rate VAT scheme wanting to purchase >2K of Office Equipment"

Collapse

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Notascooby View Post
    Exclusively for business use? I only ask because I'd want to charge more than £3 per week for "use of home" if I could argue the entire office in my house was exclusively for work use.
    Originally posted by scooby View Post
    And there was my thought... as soon as you get a contract out of the house, the office use dies and wouldnt be solely business...
    Guys, you have to apply a bit of common sense here and look at the bigger picture. A couple of points to consider. Firstly you run a business, you need an office to run it from. Scooby's comment would suggest that this client site is main place of work so he should not be claiming expenses and I am sure you don't want to go down that route. It is a client site NOT your office. You should not be running your business from client site so there is always a need for a home office. Scooby's train of thought is going to make him fail any new 'proof of business' test unless he starts thinking like one.

Secondly it will be extremely difficult to argue that an office at home is exclusively for work use. Your PC, printer etc is in there, there is undoubtedly going to be some occasional use which is reflected in the £4 per week (It's gone up .. read this). I don't doubt there are situations you may want to argue exclusively but in 99.9% of cases that won't apply. If you feel you want to then go for it and good luck. They seem to be happy for you to claim furniture and equipment for business use with some personal use so most of it is covered.

Gotta think about this as a business rather than indivdual little tax scams.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 5 April 2012, 09:35.

Leave a comment:

• scooby
    replied
    Exclusively for business use? I only ask because I'd want to charge more than £3 per week for "use of home" if I could argue the entire office in my house was exclusively for work use.
    And there was my thought... as soon as you get a contract out of the house, the office use dies and wouldnt be solely business...

Leave a comment:

• Notascooby
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Do you think about anything before you post it? You still have a home office whatever time you spend in it.

Leave a comment:

• Mr.Whippy
    replied
    Wow. 2.6k for a desk and chair. I'd want a personal assistant thrown in for that much!

But regardless of cost, I'd definitely claim any desk/chair bought for the home office, don't see why you wouldn't. As long as it is a desk/chair and not a kitchen table. Seriously do people do that?!?

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    This is a good point. This current contract see me based from my home 90%, my last one did too. However, what happens if I go and purchase all new office furniture for the new house later this year and 6mths later I change client and they want me around their office?
    Do you think about anything before you post it? You still have a home office whatever time you spend in it.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    But seriously, why would you?? It aint a investment... you can look just as good paying at most half the price.
    You asked the question.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    This is a good point. This current contract see me based from my home 90%, my last one did too. However, what happens if I go and purchase all new office furniture for the new house later this year and 6mths later I change client and they want me around their office?
    I'd say it's irrelevant, assuming that it's furniture for a dedicated office.

Chances of me working at home (current gig excepted) are slim, but I have an office at home which the company has paid for the desks, filing cabinets, shredder, PC, scanner, printer etc. etc.

Leave a comment:

• scooby
    replied
    If this is going to be at your house rather than a dedicated office then I'd be wary of claiming this at all - normally I'm gun-ho about these kind of things and have heard of people buying new kitchen tables and chairs etc as "office furniture".

I don't think that would hold up to scrutiny.

Also as Mal pointed out to me in a thread about buying computers, don't think because you've not hit £2K that you're making some kind of loss.

i.e. if you were to spend £1850 on company assets, you're not better off by spending an extra £151 to reclaim the VAT as you'd expense the full £1850 against tax, where as if you reclaim the VAT you'd only expense the outgoing - VAT - so the difference is about £50 or something on £2K (awaits a friendly accountant to supply the correct technical explanation and figures).

In short - if its for the house, unless you're sure you can show that you use that "office" for the majority of time for business e.g. you work from home, then I'd stay away from claiming the furniture (no doubt others will disagree). if you do decide to buy a new kitchen table - I mean office furniture, then don't get hung up about the £2K threshold when on the FRS unless you really want a new oak table and leather office chair.

Leave a comment:

• Notascooby
    replied
    If this is going to be at your house rather than a dedicated office then I'd be wary of claiming this at all - normally I'm gun-ho about these kind of things and have heard of people buying new kitchen tables and chairs etc as "office furniture".

I don't think that would hold up to scrutiny.

Also as Mal pointed out to me in a thread about buying computers, don't think because you've not hit £2K that you're making some kind of loss.

i.e. if you were to spend £1850 on company assets, you're not better off by spending an extra £151 to reclaim the VAT as you'd expense the full £1850 against tax, where as if you reclaim the VAT you'd only expense the outgoing - VAT - so the difference is about £50 or something on £2K (awaits a friendly accountant to supply the correct technical explanation and figures).

In short - if its for the house, unless you're sure you can show that you use that "office" for the majority of time for business e.g. you work from home, then I'd stay away from claiming the furniture (no doubt others will disagree). if you do decide to buy a new kitchen table - I mean office furniture, then don't get hung up about the £2K threshold when on the FRS unless you really want a new oak table and leather office chair.

Leave a comment:

• scooby
    replied
    Originally posted by Antman View Post
    Actually I just had a quick look and it probably is possible. Staples sell laptops too and you only need to get to £1600 (not including VAT) to do this.
    Fair point, buy a Mac, more than half way there then!!

Leave a comment:

• Antman
    replied
    LOL, I'm more at the argos end of the market!

Leave a comment:

• scooby
    replied
    But seriously, why would you?? It aint a investment... you can look just as good paying at most half the price.

Leave a comment:

• Antman
    replied
    Actually I just had a quick look and it probably is possible. Staples sell laptops too and you only need to get to £1600 (not including VAT) to do this.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Is it possible to spend 2k on office equipment if you're not buying hardware??
    <sigh>

Carat Executive Desk

Humanscale Freedom Leather Executive Chair Office Chairs UK

There is 2.6K.....

Leave a comment:

• Antman
    replied
    Is it possible to spend 2k on office equipment if you're not buying hardware??
    Yuuur, probably not.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X