• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: PSC

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "PSC"

Collapse

• Wanderer
    replied
    Originally posted by Waldorf View Post
    There doesn't seem to be any definition but I would say that it is a limited company used as a vehicle to supply the services of an individual, ie usually a ine man band, rather than a larger consultancy employing several staff.
    People are correct that there is no definition in law but HMRC's definition states that you are using a personal service company if:

• you performed services (intellectual, manual or a mixture of the two) for a client (or clients); and
    • the services were provided under a contract between the client(s) and a company of which you were, at any time during the tax year, a shareholder; and
    • the company’s income was, at any time during the tax year, derived wholly or mainly (that is, more than half of it) from services performed by the shareholders personally

Leave a comment:

• LisaContractorUmbrella
    replied
    Originally posted by scooby View Post
    clear as mud then!
    Yep if there's one thing you can rely on HMR&C for it is to act without an clarity whatsoever

Oooo look at that I've just hit 1500 posts

Leave a comment:

• scooby
    replied
    Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
    The term was, I believe, introduced by HMR&C at the same time as the MSC legislation came out and, although they have never commented on it as far as I know, I believe the terms was coined to differentiate between a single person Ltd Co v a 'company'.
    clear as mud then!

Leave a comment:

• LisaContractorUmbrella
    replied
    The term was, I believe, introduced by HMR&C at the same time as the MSC legislation came out and, although they have never commented on it as far as I know, I believe the terms was coined to differentiate between a single person Ltd Co v a 'company'.

Leave a comment:

• Waldorf
    replied
    There doesn't seem to be any definition but I would say that it is a limited company used as a vehicle to supply the services of an individual, ie usually a ine man band, rather than a larger consultancy employing several staff.

Leave a comment:

• scooby
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    It is what you are.....
    Allegedly

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by scooby View Post
    now, i know i can be thick at times, but what the feck is the definition of a PSC??
    It is what you are.....

Leave a comment:

• amcdonald
    replied
    All you need to know is that a PSC has no meaning in law, it's just a made name by the Inland Revenue that has no legal basis

Leave a comment:

• BigTime
    replied
    A Guide To Personal Service Companies for IT contractors :: Contractor UK

Leave a comment:

• scooby
    started a topic PSC

PSC

now, i know i can be thick at times, but what the feck is the definition of a PSC??

Working...
X