• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: 77k rule

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "77k rule"

Collapse

• Waldorf
    replied
    As has been said this is likely to only apply to non incorporated businesses, and in any case I cannot see that there will be any compulsion, so if it did apply to companies you would have to work out whether it was worth doing.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    Why not? If you ask AtW he will probably tell you it does more harm then good.
    Link spam is bad but having a link in your signature to Plan B on a forum where one participates and gives intelligent and well thought answers is ok.

Leave a comment:

• BigTime
    replied
    Just spotted that it will be expanded:

"..the Treasury will then consider expanding the change to firms with sales of up to £150,000 per year, which it estimates would mean more than three million firms being able to benefit."

BBC News - Budget 2012: Impact on small firms

Leave a comment:

• yasockie
    replied
    links please, that could be handy for the lazy lowlifes like me...

Leave a comment:

• pacharan
    replied
    Originally posted by Jog On View Post
    How does this work with salary & divis?

If you take £9k salary + £33k divis does anything change? Or is it just for anyone on >£40k salary?
    It'll work exactly the same. The upper limit kicks in when you hit that level regardless of whether your income is from salary, divis or a combination of the two.

Leave a comment:

• Jog On
    replied

As for the other bit I think someone has just discovered that while the tax threshold is rising next year to £9105 the 40% point is dropping £2000 so you end up £105 worse off.
    How does this work with salary & divis?

If you take £9k salary + £33k divis does anything change? Or is it just for anyone on >£40k salary?

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by russell View Post
    Why do you have a link in your signature? I see you are all over the board also? Funny that nothing but a spammer.

As for the other bit I think someone has just discovered that while the tax threshold is rising next year to £9105 the 40% point is dropping £2000 so you end up £105 worse off.

Leave a comment:

• russell
    replied
    Russell,

Many years ago I discovered that its not the headline details that matter in the budget its the detail. And that takes a few days to appear. The differences between IR35 in reaility and the initial announcement is just 1 example.

Wait until the weekend and discuss this after all the gory detail appears in Saturday's and Sunday's papers.
    Why do you have a link in your signature? I see you are all over the board also? Funny that nothing but a spammer.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Russell,

Many years ago I discovered that its not the headline details that matter in the budget its the detail. And that takes a few days to appear. The differences between IR35 in reaility and the initial announcement is just 1 example.

Wait until the weekend and discuss this after all the gory detail appears in Saturday's and Sunday's papers.

Leave a comment:

• LisaContractorUmbrella
    replied
    They are saying there will be an opt-out but it must be for a fixed period of say 5 years. However, I believe this only applies to micro companies that are unincorporated

Leave a comment:

• Clare@InTouch
    replied
    I imagine it would be optional, kind of like the VAT flat rate scheme.

Leave a comment:

• russell
    started a topic 77k rule

77k rule

So lets say the new rule is in place that companies with turnover less than 77k will be taxed on turnover.

If I turnover 75k I will be taxed 20% i.e. 15k even if I had expenses of 30k whereas if I turnover 78k with 30k expenses I will only pay 9.6k??

Working...
X