• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Directors Loan Accounts."

Collapse

• Ignis Fatuus
    replied
    Originally posted by Nixon Williams View Post
    ...So one director is owed £5,000 and the other £11,000

The salary, dividends and expenses will have no direct impact on these amounts.
    That seems obvious to me, thanks to Alan of Nixon Williams for stating it so clearly.

If you're owed £5,000 then you're owed £5,000 until it is repaid. Getting paid salary is nothing to do with it.

Or if you must, we can call salary payment the (re)payment of a new debt, the salray. Let's modify JonSmile's example:
    so day 1
    director A £5000
    director B £5000
    day +30 salaries become due (say £3000 each)
    director A £8000
    director B £8000

day +30 salaries paid out (say £3000 each)
    director A £5000
    director B £5000

Leave a comment:

• blinko
    replied
    Originally posted by confused oap View Post
    New two director company with both directors putting £5000 each into business.
    Dividends and salaries have been entered into DLAs (both getting the same) Less total amounts paid to individuals.
    One director also supplied equipment of £6000 . Also during year both have expenses for company which are reimbursed. Director 1 having
    double the amount of expenses of Director 2.
    HOW ARE THESE EXPENSES TREATED IN DLA.. Director 2 can now put £6000 into DLA which , in my view should make
    them equal. However, the CA says Director 1 is in Cr and Director 2 is in (Dr) to the DLA making Director 2 accountable for all the
    overdrawn amount in the DLA and the Credit to Director 1. I cannot get a satisfactory answer. It appears that everytime that expenses are processed this will increase Director 1's Cr Balance and increase Director 2's (Dr)
    balance.
    Can you help as I cannot understand this at all.
    This feels a bit like an exam question

Its not exactly clear whats going on. You both put £5000 in, so this would hit the capital account then the bank account you mention salary and dividends. You would have been better off not putting that much capital in and not taking any salary !?

I belive someone else here mentioend that expenses are in and out, are these expenses you paid from your own pocket then the company is re-embursing you OR are these expenses that the company has incurred.

I think it might be better to start from the begining again, it all sounds a bit of a pickle !!

Leave a comment:

• Nixon Williams
    replied
    Originally posted by confused oap View Post
    Dividends and salaries have been entered into DLAs (both getting the same) Less total amounts paid to individuals.
    One director also supplied equipment of £6000 . Also during year both have expenses for company which are reimbursed. Director 1 having
    HOW ARE THESE EXPENSES TREATED IN DLA.. Director 2 can now put £6000 into DLA which , in my view should make
    them equal. However, the CA says Director 1 is in Cr and Director 2 is in (Dr) to the DLA making Director 2 accountable for all the
    overdrawn amount in the DLA and the Credit to Director 1. I cannot get a satisfactory answer. It appears that everytime that expenses are processed this will increase Director 1's Cr Balance and increase Director 2's (Dr)
    balance.
    If each shareholder/director has deposited £5000 into the company bank account, then this will be owed to each director until it is paid out.

One director's account is also increased (ie more owed by the company, to the director) with the £6000 being the assets introduced to the company.

So one director is owed £5,000 and the other £11,000

The salary, dividends and expenses will have no direct impact on these amounts. Assuming that all the salaries, expenses and dividends have been paid to each individual shareholder/director, then these transactions will simply be in & out of the account.

From how you describe I cannot see how one of the director's accounts can be overdrawn, you perhaps need to check your entries?

Alan

Leave a comment:

• JonSmile
    replied
    so day 1
    director A £5000
    director B £5000
    day +30 salaries paid out (say £3000 each)
    director A £2000
    director B £2000
    at this point, the directors are still owed money by company
    director A sells comp £6000 of kit (at fair market value I assume!)
    so assuming comp STILL has no hard cash to pay out of income..
    (which is strange)
    director A £8000
    director B £2000
    now expenses are claimed back
    director A £5000 / director B £2500 (A having twice B)
    so no DLA is
    director A £3000
    director B -£500

this shows that B owe cash and A is owed cash, but is a very strange business as if you have been trading for a year you would expect the business to actually have made profit and expenses to come out of the normal expense process and not via the DLA.
    But it is logical (I suppose)
    A has put in £11k
    B has put in £5k
    and they have taken same salaries £3k in my simple example
    and A is drawing twice as much as B, but still has that extra £6k of kit he sold company to offset this.

NOW if B puts in £6k of cash to match the £6k of kit from A, things would still not be even because A has been drawing more expenses for the year.

It all seems simple and logical to me..

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    And you have an accountant because you don't understand it yes???

Leave a comment:

• confused oap
    started a topic Directors Loan Accounts.

Directors Loan Accounts.

balance.

Working...
X