• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Parasol up for sale according to Rob Crossland"

Collapse

• simondolan
    replied
    Originally posted by Waldorf View Post
    I wonder if this is a similar bill that JSA was saddled with a few years ago, which led them into administration. I seem to recall that JSA owed HMRC about £10 million and couldn't pay?
    Yep, but at least JSA didn't owe PE people millions on top. No shadow of doubt that Inflexion will want to get their money out, and if they can't find a buyer you have to assume they will call in their debt.

Leave a comment:

• Waldorf
    replied
    Originally posted by simonsjdaccountancy View Post
    To try to get their money back I guess. With the potential liabilities though (there is a £4m contingent liability in their accounts for VAT), the recent £158m loss by Reed over the expenses thing, and AWR I think they may struggle to get a buyer.

They will still be able to get their money back out though as they have a floating charge over the assets of the Company, and I think their loan is due for repayment fairly soon.
    I wonder if this is a similar bill that JSA was saddled with a few years ago, which led them into administration. I seem to recall that JSA owed HMRC about £10 million and couldn't pay?

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
    This has slowly turned into another LTD v Brollie debate again, can't we all just get along lol. On another note to those of you that do run your own LTD's have you ever had a business partner onboard or do you all work as need I say it one man bands. I got talking to another contractor here and him and his best mate run the company together and split everything equally. He was also telling me when he couldn't make a gig for a couple of days due to illness he sent his business partner in his place fulfilling the substitution clause in the contract.
    Fair comment.

But, if my ltd co goes tits up, that would be my fault and 'my' money. But if a brolly goes tits up, while that would still be 'my' money, it wouldnt be my fault.

Leave a comment:

• Workaday
    replied
    Originally posted by simonsjdaccountancy View Post
    To try to get their money back I guess. With the potential liabilities though (there is a £4m contingent liability in their accounts for VAT), the recent £158m loss by Reed over the expenses thing, and AWR I think they may struggle to get a buyer.

They will still be able to get their money back out though as they have a floating charge over the assets of the Company, and I think their loan is due for repayment fairly soon.
    Normally they make a load of cash as well though surely. I suppose Inflexion's view of whether the investment was successful will only be known when they sell. A contingent VAT liability could depress the resale value.

Leave a comment:

• The Spartan
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    I think they work on the principle that a professional contractor wouldn't be using an umbrella
    A tad harsh don't you think?

Leave a comment:

• LisaContractorUmbrella
    replied
    I think they work on the principle that a professional contractor wouldn't be using an umbrella
    Nope definitely blatant discrimination (I pay to be an associate member you know!!) It's brollyism, that's what it is - I should sue

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Or that nearly 99% of their members don't...

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
    That's discrimination that is

Leave a comment:

• LisaContractorUmbrella
    replied
    PCG plus will provide some cover for an agency failing. They don't do the same thing for umbrellas, though.
    That's discrimination that is

Leave a comment:

• pmeswani
    replied
    Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
    Bought a nice sturdy brolly in a little shop near Kings Cross for £15, how much is this Parasol going for?
    I could have bought a nice sturdy brolly for 3 quid. You've been ripped off.

Leave a comment:

• Scrag Meister
    replied
    Bought a nice sturdy brolly in a little shop near Kings Cross for £15, how much is this Parasol going for?

Leave a comment:

• pmeswani
    replied
    Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
    This has slowly turned into another LTD v Brollie debate again, can't we all just get along lol. On another note to those of you that do run your own LTD's have you ever had a business partner onboard or do you all work as need I say it one man bands. I got talking to another contractor here and him and his best mate run the company together and split everything equally. He was also telling me when he couldn't make a gig for a couple of days due to illness he sent his business partner in his place fulfilling the substitution clause in the contract.
    I run a one-man band. I personally couldn't trust anyone to be a business partner. That may change if I came across a Dragon Den investor, but that would require me to have a business idea that would be unique. :-).

Leave a comment:

• The Spartan
    replied

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
    I know they do, but I wonder if this has been tested?
    Your next sentence shows that this has been tested.

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
    I know when the Icelandic Bank went under (IceSave?), the Government had to pay the compensation. I wonder if the parent company or the Icelandic Government had paid up?
    That's the whole point - it's a government guarantee that you will get the money. The UK government was (still is?) pursuing that money from the Icelandic government.

Comparing an umbrella company to keeping your money in a bank, which by law has a government guarantee that you won't lose your money unless you have over £50000 in the bank is a ridiculous comparison.

Leave a comment:

• pmeswani
    replied
    Banks give you £50k protection on your accounts, though. Umbrellas don't.
    I know they do, but I wonder if this has been tested? I know when the Icelandic Bank went under (IceSave?), the Government had to pay the compensation. I wonder if the parent company or the Icelandic Government had paid up? Whilst this is the exception rather than the rule, I would be happy to be put in my place if there is some demonstrated evidence that banks that have gone bust have actually paid out the 50k protection.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X