• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Drawing dividends over higher tax threshold - should I?"

Collapse

• MrRobin
    replied
    Originally posted by rd409 View Post
    Income under 40% tax threshold is quite a lot to be honest. Even if you are the single shareholder it equates to something around 3500 a month plus expenses. That kind of income is definitely livable even in London imho.
    Exactly. Equivalent permie salary is £62k so way higher than average.

I would suggest, smalldog, you could examine your outgoings to see where efficiencies can be made... you might find you can save a packet!

Leave a comment:

• rd409
    replied
    Originally posted by smalldog View Post
    Granted you can Im sure but does depend on your lifestyle choice and commitments. I can see that is more doable if you have a teeny tiny mortgage.

Im seriously impressed if you can live off that in a year taking into account things like mortgages, cars, holidays, kids or maintenance, home improvements and unexpected things like stuff breaking...oh and of course Hector asking you to make SA payments on accounts every 6 months, granted lot less if your under the 40% threshold. Guess I just need to try and clear my debts quicker so I can at least try and get under it at some point in my life...
    Well honestly, the ltd company has 2 share holders me and my wife. So we can really afford to take quite substantial amount out of the ltd, and still stay under the 40% mark. Also, if I were the only shareholder, then a permie would have to earn a salary of 61k to get the same amount of cash in hand after the tax and NI deductions. So the comparable figure should be 61k for the lifestyle. As i said, that is a very good figure if you consider, the number of people who earn quite lot less than that in a permie salary.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Granted you can Im sure but does depend on your lifestyle choice and commitments. I can see that is more doable if you have a teeny tiny mortgage.

Im seriously impressed if you can live off that in a year taking into account things like mortgages, cars, holidays, kids or maintenance, home improvements and unexpected things like stuff breaking...oh and of course Hector asking you to make SA payments on accounts every 6 months, granted lot less if your under the 40% threshold. Guess I just need to try and clear my debts quicker so I can at least try and get under it at some point in my life...
    Well, you don't have to pay SA payments on account - I pay no income tax at all.

OK, white lie - this year, it was £10.18 I had to pay.

Leave a comment:

• smalldog
    replied
    Originally posted by rd409 View Post
    Income under 40% tax threshold is quite a lot to be honest. Even if you are the single shareholder it equates to something around 3500 a month plus expenses. That kind of income is definitely livable even in London imho.

There are plenty of people living more than happily on that kind of salary and even paying tax and NI on top of it.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Im always staggered when I hear people surviving under the 40% tax threshold, you living in a cave and driving an old skoda or something?? How on earth......
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Have you done the sums? It is hardly being on the breadline particularly if you partner works or is a shareholder as well.
    WHS - although my wife isn't a shareholder or a worker.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by kingcook View Post
    Nope. I live up north. Where they don't charge to drive on roads, and i can buy a 4 bed detached house on a nice estate for £250,000.

Down south, you'd only get a bedsit for that!
    Cheaper than that in Wales....

Leave a comment:

• kingcook
    replied
    Im always staggered when I hear people surviving under the 40% tax threshold, you living in a cave and driving an old skoda or something?? How on earth......
    Nope. I live up north. Where they don't charge to drive on roads, and i can buy a 4 bed detached house on a nice estate for £250,000.

Down south, you'd only get a bedsit for that!

Leave a comment:

• rd409
    replied

There are plenty of people living more than happily on that kind of salary and even paying tax and NI on top of it.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Have you done the sums? It is hardly being on the breadline particularly if you partner works or is a shareholder as well.

Leave a comment:

• smalldog
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    As a clarification, I was merely answering the question - I don't invest in any of them. I don't take dividends that would put me over the 40% threshold either.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    As a clarification, I was merely answering the question - I don't invest in any of them. I don't take dividends that would put me over the 40% threshold either.
    Yeah I understand. Wasn't picking on your post in general, just it was the cleanest one to link to. Was a question to all discussing these types of accounts. I guess even taxed it is still profit over and above what you would get sitting there at 0.5% or whatever, particularly if you have a tidy sum.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Sorry for quoting your example TF but to you guys investing in these you are taxed on the interest and then taxed when you divi it out to yourself yes? so doesn't leave much on a few percent unless you have a lot in the co? Am still crossing my fingers someone will come up with something worthwhile no one has spotted yet.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Sorry for quoting your example TF but to you guys investing in these you are taxed on the interest and then taxed when you divi it out to yourself yes? so doesn't leave much on a few percent unless you have a lot in the co? Am still crossing my fingers someone will come up with something worthwhile no one has spotted yet.
    Hmmm. good point. Doesnt leave a lot....

Leave a comment:

• Ruprect
    replied
    I've invested in a few VCTs. Baronsmead and Close Bros have performed better than most.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X