• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "What counts as a social function"

Collapse

• simondolan
    replied
    In 20 years of doing this and across what, 30000 clients I've never once had this questioned by the Revenue. You can claim £150 per head, but there has to be a reason for it. You and the wife out once a year to celebrate isn't going to raise an eyebrow. You, your wife and 52 mates probably would (which would then counter the swingers party argument I guess).

Leave a comment:

• kingcook
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Wonder if the bold statement would still apply
    I'm not sure i fully underst...... ooooooh matron

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
    The cost of the function includes VAT and the cost of transport and/or overnight accommodation if these are provided to enable employees to attend. Divide the total cost of each function by the total number of people (including non-employees) who attend in order to arrive at the cost per head.
    Wonder if the bold statement would still apply

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    You can claim it against swingers parties???
    Only if everyone gets an invite.

Leave a comment:

• ASB
    replied
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to northernladuk again.

Leave a comment:

• Clare@InTouch
    replied
    superb!!

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by ASB View Post
    Certainly I have funded social functions where ex wife (and employee) had one guest, I had a different one.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 18 January 2012, 20:18.

Leave a comment:

• ASB
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Of course, you mean St Davids day there, dont you? :-)

Yes. For tax reasons, not an employee this year, just a Director. Next year I will be on £7K salary though.
    The salary doesn't of itself make you an employee.

Leave a comment:

• ASB
    replied
    Not wanting to stop this eternal circle in it's tracks wouldn't it be time to take a pragmatic approach? The amounts we are talking about here are peanuts so is it worth risking the wrath of HMRC by trying to claim your kids/cousins in your works xmas do. No employer is (generally) going to invite your kids so leave it at that.

Some sites do mention partner enough times to convince me it would be acceptable and at worst prove I have done due diligence. This makes the risk so small I am happy to limit it to me and partner.

Is it worth going round in circles for the sake of £60 max?
    You party pooper...

The (minor) problem as I see it is if "ooh why risk it it's only £50" prevails often enough then over time that becomes a worthwhile sum. A counter view to that might be "well it's only £50, so I'll claim it and worry later".

Certainly I have funded social functions where ex wife (and employee) had one guest, I had a different one. Ok, yes it does fall under the ttp banner, but in the investigation that was covered (and it was very in depth). HMIT really couldn't give a stuff. (Though this might only be because there were other things he could give a stuff about ).

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    I guess this is up to you. A few meals out with no reason whatsoever is pushing it IMO. There are enough instances to go out in a year with extensions, birthdays, company birthdays, yearly celebrations (St Georges day etc) to be clever enough to use these and not totally rip off the process.

How can you be in contract and not an employee of your LTD?
    Of course, you mean St Davids day there, dont you? :-)

Yes. For tax reasons, not an employee this year, just a Director. Next year I will be on £7K salary though.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Not wanting to stop this eternal circle in it's tracks wouldn't it be time to take a pragmatic approach? The amounts we are talking about here are peanuts so is it worth risking the wrath of HMRC by trying to claim your kids/cousins in your works xmas do. No employer is (generally) going to invite your kids so leave it at that.

Some sites do mention partner enough times to convince me it would be acceptable and at worst prove I have done due diligence. This makes the risk so small I am happy to limit it to me and partner.

Just because you live on your own.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    And I have run this past my accountant and the summary is that this tells you the cost per head but where does it say that the £150 exemption is extended to non-employees?
    Income Tax (Earnings and Pensions) Act 2003, section 264 (4). In particular (4)(b), as quoted last night:

(4)For the purposes of this section, the cost per head of a party or function is the total cost of providing—

(a)the party or function, and

(b)any transport or accommodation incidentally provided for persons attending it (whether or not they are the employer’s employees)
    The act is pretty clear - the cost per head of the party or function is the total cost of the party / function and transport / accommodation provided for those attending, whether they are employees or not.

I'd ask your accountant what it is in ITEPA that they believe indicates that non-employees are not covered.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    FTFY
    And I have run this past my accountant and the summary is that this tells you the cost per head but where does it say that the £150 exemption is extended to non-employees?

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    Thanks Clare. What do you base this on?
    Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
    From the same source TF gave you ages ago in this thread
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

Working...
X