• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Accountant Problems"

Collapse

• Alan @ BroomeAffinity
    replied
    Originally posted by adam11 View Post
    Mod note: no blatant advertising on these forums, please read the T&C’s.

You can ask admin to change your login ID to your company and offer advice to posters, that is the way to promote your company on this site.

Thanks.
    Not really that much of an advert anyway when he can't even spell Accountant

Leave a comment:

• adam11
    replied
    UK Accountat

Mod note: no blatant advertising on these forums, please read the T&C’s.

You can ask admin to change your login ID to your company and offer advice to posters, that is the way to promote your company on this site.

Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Danielsjdaccountancy
    replied
    Originally posted by prozak View Post
    Daniel.. just in reference to NI...
    Gotcha

Leave a comment:

• ASB
    replied
    So I could have 10 jobs - and earn 70k without paying NI?

What about if I leave one and hand the other my P45 (as kitty would be doing?)
    Yes. (provided they are not associated in which case the pay is cumulated for NI purposes).

HM Revenue & Customs: Employee has more than one job

Conversely you could have 3 jobs each paying 50k and pay considerably more than you would with one job paying 150k. (This case is resolvable by applying to NICO for deferment since the upper earnings limit is actually across all employments and defined by statute. It can be awkward to resolve, but you generally get there in the end. Don't expect NICO to be writing to you saying "hey you've overpaid...")

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Right. Interesting. Didn't realise that one.

Not that it is relevent to me, purely hypothetical.

Thanks.

Just thinking about this.... I've never delved into the related companies type stuff as it is also not relevent to me.... What stops me from having 3 limited companies each earning some revenue from different contracts for the year and taking a 7k salary from each?.. I assume HMRC will just say that this is an artificial structure to avoid NI if they are all the same contracting type business? But can't do much about it if they all get revenue from different business models - i.e ONe Contractor Company, One selling fish etc etc.
    I'd take it that if they were significantly different revenue streams, then you could do it and get your £7k from each one without paying NI.

If they were too similar, then the Ramsay principle would apply.

Leave a comment:

• prozak
    replied
    Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
    By that logic paying dividends could be seen as avoiding NI. If you're a director and being paid a notional salary from each company to recompense you for your director duties, then I don't see a problem.

You may have problems with related/associated company rules for CT and VAT though (depending on business type and ownership).
    interesting.

though with CT at 20% now the benefit of doing this seems negligible as anything over 7475 is going to be taxed anyhow.

So I guess the benefit is about £80.... i.e. the corp tax you wouldn't pay on the additional personal allowance of £400 - odd that is not currently being paid to avoid NI.

Leave a comment:

• prozak
    replied
    Originally posted by Danielsjdaccountancy View Post
    Self-assessment is in on your worldwide income so you only get 1 personal allowance, therefore not possible.
    Daniel.. just in reference to NI...

Leave a comment:

• Clare@InTouch
    replied

Thanks.

Just thinking about this.... I've never delved into the related companies type stuff as it is also not relevent to me.... What stops me from having 3 limited companies each earning some revenue from different contracts for the year and taking a 7k salary from each?.. I assume HMRC will just say that this is an artificial structure to avoid NI if they are all the same contracting type business? But can't do much about it if they all get revenue from different business models - i.e ONe Contractor Company, One selling fish etc etc.
    By that logic paying dividends could be seen as avoiding NI. If you're a director and being paid a notional salary from each company to recompense you for your director duties, then I don't see a problem.

You may have problems with related/associated company rules for CT and VAT though (depending on business type and ownership).

Leave a comment:

• Danielsjdaccountancy
    replied

Thanks.

Self-assessment is in on your worldwide income so you only get 1 personal allowance, therefore not possible.

Leave a comment:

• prozak
    replied
    Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
    NI isn't on a P45, that form shows the previous pay and tax only. So yes, effectively you could.

Thanks.

Last edited by prozak; 9 December 2011, 11:16.

Leave a comment:

• Clare@InTouch
    replied

NI isn't on a P45, that form shows the previous pay and tax only. So yes, effectively you could.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied

I take it this is hypothetical as a permie and not realistic to the contracting via LTD setup.

Leave a comment:

• prozak
    replied
    Originally posted by Nixon Williams View Post
    Firstly, no NIC (either employees or employers) would be due on an annual salary of £7000 - the National Insurance bands are per 'employment' not per person. So you could have five jobs, each paying a salary of £7000, giving a total income of £35,000 and you would not pay any NIC.

snip blah blah CT stuff...
    Alan

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    For what it's worth, I'm also one connection away from Julie on LI, via an agent.

<creepy>very cute</creepy>

Leave a comment:

• Nixon Williams
    replied
    Whoa!

you're gonna have to justify that one Alan.

Anything Kitty now earns is taxed at 20% personal (assuming she is still under the higher tax rate) - negating the CT benefit, essentially just passing the tax to her personal tax band.

Plus she pays 12% NI.
    Plus there is 13.8% Employers NI.

Plus every pound she earns means 25% to be paid on the dividends she has already taken (she has already said she is over the higher tax rate due to dividends i think)

Or am I wrong?

By all means please prove me wrong. I am no expert.
    Firstly, no NIC (either employees or employers) would be due on an annual salary of £7000 - the National Insurance bands are per 'employment' not per person. So you could have five jobs, each paying a salary of £7000, giving a total income of £35,000 and you would not pay any NIC.

If the person was a higher rate taxpayer (and already used their tax allowance), then there would be no difference at all on the total tax paid, as the example below illustrates:

Fee income of £50,000 and ignore all expenses, VAT etc.

Taking a salary of £7,000 would leave profits of £43,000, meaning corporation tax of £8,600 would be due. Assuming that the remaining profit of £34,400 is paid as a dividend, this would give a total income of £41,400 (34,400 + 7,000).

From this income you would be liable for 40% tax on the salary (£2,800) and 25% tax on the dividend (£8,600), so the total tax would be £11,400.

So your net income would be £30,000 (£41,400 - £11,400).

If NO salary was taken, then the corporation tax would be £10,000 - leaving a dividend of £40,000 that could be paid, the tax on this would be £10,000, so again leaving a net income of £30,000

The arguement for a salary on this basis was marginally better when the corporation tax rate was 21%, but the effect of this is now almost gone as most companies will now be fully paying corporation tax at 20% on their profits.

However, on top on this, the extra salary will earn additional 'credits' towards the state second pension, probably not a lot but every little helps as a large supermarket states!

I hope this explains.

Alan

Leave a comment:

Working...
X