• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "24 months and claiming occasional hotel"

Collapse

• Greg@CapitalCity
    replied
    I think the issue of travel here is largely irrelevant. The place of work is a permanent workplace, and the claim for accommodation appears not to be related to travel - its related to holding a meeting with a client at an appropriate venue.

It seems reasonable to meet a client after hours for meetings, and if the meeting extends for such a period that travelling home is unreasonable, then the claim for accommodation should stick. For example if the trip home after the meeting relies on getting on a train, and the trains have stopped running, and a taxi fare would be £100, then seems reasonable to allow the claim. If home is a £15 cab ride away, then the hotel claim would appear to be unreasonable. If your meeting with the client is really just to have decent meal and a few pints of beer, then you should pay for the hotel on your personal Visa card, and forget about making an expense claim.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Are we all sure about this one? If one was an employee and went home every evening but occasionally had to make a special arrangement to stay late near work for business reasons, wouldn't that be allowable? Quite unreasonable if not.
    Last edited by xoggoth; 14 September 2011, 17:13.

Leave a comment:

• LisaContractorUmbrella
    replied
    Originally posted by subsea View Post
    Many thanks for you replies. Just one further question on this, would it be allowable to consider the hotel as entertaining and then the only tax liability is corporation tax?
    If you only claimed the cost of the meal that you had with them in the hotel - you could not claim hotel accommodation for reasons stated before

Leave a comment:

• subsea
    replied
    Just corporation tax?

Many thanks for you replies. Just one further question on this, would it be allowable to consider the hotel as entertaining and then the only tax liability is corporation tax?

Leave a comment:

• LisaContractorUmbrella
    replied
    If the clients are coming to the site that you have worked on for more than 2 years for the evening meeting then unfortunately you would not be able to claim for the cost of the hotel

Leave a comment:

• Craig@Clarity
    replied
    If you spend less than 40% of your time on site then this is the overriding factor which enables you to claim your travel etc to site. If not then there isn't a way for you to claim the hotel costs every 4 - 6 weeks without tax consequences.

Leave a comment:

• subsea
    started a topic 24 months and claiming occasional hotel

24 months and claiming occasional hotel

I have been an on site representative for a company for just over 2 years and like any good contractor I have stopped claiming any mileage and subsistence but I have a question my accountant can't really answer or not give the answer I would like. Is there a way to make a legitimate tax deductable (no BIK) claim for a hotel stay every 4 to 6 weeks to enable me to have an evening meeting with my client when they visit?

Working...
X