• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "How do you manage your Ltd Co Surplus cash?"

Collapse

• richy
    replied
    Secure Trust Ltd co deposit acount, 120 day notice

Just get a 120 day notice biz deposit account from Secure Trust Bank. pays 3% gross interest.

Leave a comment:

• Stan
    replied
    Regarding offsetting - another option is to take a directors loan, downside is you have to pay BIK on the notional interest. Oh and get good at juggling

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    Originally posted by Hex View Post
    Worth a look - but needs 3 months notice for withdrawals: Investec Business High 5 - Home
    Minimum balance £50k to earn interest

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Still crap mind aint they?

Still worth getting out as much as you can and sticking in personal savings.

Leave a comment:

• Hex
    replied
    Worth a look - but needs 3 months notice for withdrawals: Investec Business High 5 - Home

Leave a comment:

• tvr450
    replied
    Money Saving Expert site

Some useful info here - Saffron Building Society offering 2.25% at the moment - see the link here:

Small Biz MoneySaving: Banking, gas & elec, phones & web...

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by swebb View Post
    Santander seem to provide something useful in the business reward saver

Business Reward Saver: Santander Business Banking

You don't need a current account with them and it pays 2% over a year and 1.84% if you make one withdrawal.
    if balance over 30k

Leave a comment:

• BillHicksRIP
    replied
    As per earlier question, is the government-guaranteed money in banks if they collapse also applicable to businesses? I read it was 85k max too.

Leave a comment:

• swebb
    replied
    Santander seem to provide something useful in the business reward saver

Business Reward Saver: Santander Business Banking

You don't need a current account with them and it pays 2% over a year and 1.84% if you make one withdrawal.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Same for me. I'm with Cater Allen. 0% interest.

Leave a comment:

• swebb
    replied
    I'd also be interested to know about any deposit business accounts any one has. I'm currently with Cater Allen which are very good but the rate they pay isn't great. I'm also concerned about the 50K gov guarantee on accounts (actually does this apply to businesses!!!). So I'd like to take a lump of the cash in the business and put it in a deposit account for say 6 months or so.

I've checked with Cater Allen and they do deposit account that can be anywhere from 1 week to 24 months which can be set up to be rolling. The money is locked away for the deposit period (no access). So it can be set up to be rolling for say 1 month so you can always get at the money after 30 days max. You need a minimum of 50K though. Current rates on 50k are:

1 month 0.65%
    2 month 0.73%
    3 month 0.96%
    12 month 2.65%

Any idea's ?
    Last edited by swebb; 18 August 2011, 11:45.

Leave a comment:

• decentguy
    replied
    Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
    Which specific account is this? I can only see the Business Reward saver at 1.8 which only allows one withdrawal per year. Maybe this wasn't the case when you opened the account?
    Santander PDF

Definetely seems that terms and conditions have changed. When I opened it, month in which you make withdrawal, you get lower interest rate. From what I see now, you can only make 1 withdrawal iin first 12 months which sucks.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by JamJarST View Post
    I am single so buggered there, but of course it has its advantages too

As to your last point. If you leave a warchest in your compnay though, you can use it when you need it and it is more tax efficient.
    The only things that make it tax efficient is based on personal tax laws.

Keeping your warchest in the company doesn't make sense for me until you reach the point when you cannot remove any more cash from your company in an tax efficient way.

After that it really depends on how many savings you have elsewhere so personally I think keeping a warchest in the company is pointless.

Surely it is better to avoid paying any corporation tax on the surplus cash by putting it directly into your pension pot instead.

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    Originally posted by decentguy View Post
    I have opened a business savings account with santander and gives me safe 1.8% interest rate. I know its not high but at least its better than 0.1% offered by business current account

Best thing about this account is that money can be transferred anytime in case you need it for a rainy day
    Which specific account is this? I can only see the Business Reward saver at 1.8 which only allows one withdrawal per year. Maybe this wasn't the case when you opened the account?
    Santander PDF

Leave a comment:

• JamJarST
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    My take based on the last time I paid attention to it is that you would have to be either single or very well paid not to be able to withdraw most of your company's income every year without paying much more than your corporate income tax.

I calculated that between me and my wife I can withdraw £50,000 in dividends at the lower rate tax band (based on what she is paid elsewhere) and pay myself £7,000.

Those two options alone before you look at pension payments or even expenses else cover a turnover of £67,000 or £300 a day.

Granted you may not be able to use much of your wife's tax allowance but I would prefer to have my warchest in my own account rather than my companies account.
    I am single so buggered there, but of course it has its advantages too

As to your last point. If you leave a warchest in your compnay though, you can use it when you need it and it is more tax efficient.
    Last edited by JamJarST; 11 August 2011, 08:44. Reason: speeling mistooks

Leave a comment:

Working...
X