• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Marketing Budget

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Marketing Budget"

Collapse

• boredsenseless
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio
    You can only get VAT back if you are adding value, which usualy implies selling something to someone else. I have a Wholesaler's store account since I'm VAT registered, but I can't claim the VAT on a case of Stella Artois bought for my own conusmption. If I were buying it to sell it on, to add on to something I was selling, or to use in a strictly company-related activity like marketing, then I could.

Sponsoring your race car may be feasible since it is a marketing expense - you need to talk to an accountant.
    SPonsoring it probably is - buying, insuring and running costs probably aren't. And of course the sponsorhip would have to bring with it actual advertising such as a big logo on the car or frequent mentions in programmes etc.

Also the sponsorship must be in line with the other teams to be deemed as a wholly allowable benefit. i.e. you wouldn't get away with sponsoring your car £5000 a race if the usual amount for the races you are in is £100

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    You can only get VAT back if you are adding value, which usualy implies selling something to someone else. I have a Wholesaler's store account since I'm VAT registered, but I can't claim the VAT on a case of Stella Artois bought for my own conusmption. If I were buying it to sell it on, to add on to something I was selling, or to use in a strictly company-related activity like marketing, then I could.

Sponsoring your race car may be feasible since it is a marketing expense - you need to talk to an accountant.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    I was thinking about trying to get into motor racing, and sponsoring my car from my company, but reading that link there's little chance of getting away with that as it's essentially my hobby.

There must be a few people here who have tried this? Can you get away with reclaiming VAT?

Leave a comment:

• Mikeeelawson
    replied
    No go then

It was worth a try. Looks like no go.

Leave a comment:

• ASB
    replied
    You certainly can put it through the books. The question is how the revenue will teat it (or rather want to see it treated).

Essentially the IR will seek to treat the benefit you individually receive from it as taxable. It seems likely this may be 100% of it.

This may be some help http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/bimmanual/BIM42555.htm

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    >I can run this through my business under marketing budget as I will be eneteraining clients

Only if you are genuinely entertaining clients. The fact that you even have to ask suggests that you are not.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    The people saying you can are trying to sell you something. The person who might tell you you can't is going off the check, so clearly there is some doubt. Why are you asking us before you get both sides of answer?

FWIW I doubt you can, myself - you could use the same logic to buy a restaurant or a conference centre or a timehsare in the Maldives. It's quite likely that you can but then have to pay tax on it as a BIK.

Leave a comment:

• Mikeeelawson
    started a topic Marketing Budget

Marketing Budget

Is this too good to be true? I have been thinking of buying into a yacht share scheme where I end up paying £500 a month. The people who run the yacht share say I can run this through my business under marketing budget as I will be eneteraining clients. My accountant says that this is improbable but will check. Who is correct

Working...
X