• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Correcting a paid invoice"

Collapse

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    Originally posted by VirtualMonkey View Post
    lol, love some of the discussions and comments that get generated.
    This work was done first week in Jan and billed just after.

Not had a reply yet but shouldn't cause too many problems.
    Now to give myself a damn good thrashing for not spotting it myself

VAT got changed everywhere in my system but my invoice template
    TBH I wouldn't bother changing it. If anyone asks just tell them the work was done on the 3rd Jan. HMRC are not going to send you to the big house for some VAT which a company is just going to reclaim anyway.

Leave a comment:

• VirtualMonkey
    replied
    lol, love some of the discussions and comments that get generated.
    This work was done first week in Jan and billed just after.

Not had a reply yet but shouldn't cause too many problems.
    Now to give myself a damn good thrashing for not spotting it myself

VAT got changed everywhere in my system but my invoice template

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    When was the work done. If it was in Dec then 17.5% is the right rate even if you invoice in Jan.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    You're kidding, right?

Not notice an invoice is wrong? In particular, the VAT? When the rate has just changed? With so much publicity?

I'd expect someone to be getting a damn good for paying it.
    Why should they? The money goes straight to HMRC anyway.

Also if you have dealt with younger and/or cheaper staff of companies particularly large ones you find they tend not to care very much about mistakes.

Edited to say: There are exceptions to the rule but when these exceptions happen you usually are shocked about getting decent treatment.
    Last edited by SueEllen; 7 February 2011, 20:59.

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Why should they notice? Not everyone with the agency will be on the same payment terms or bother to invoice on time for work done.
    You're kidding, right?

Not notice an invoice is wrong? In particular, the VAT? When the rate has just changed? With so much publicity?

I'd expect someone to be getting a damn good for paying it.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    It's great to know the agency's payments team, who do little but process invoices day in, day out, didn't spot it.
    Why should they notice? Not everyone with the agency will be on the same payment terms or bother to invoice on time for work done.

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    It's great to know the agency's payments team, who do little but process invoices day in, day out, didn't spot it.

How many other cock-ups do they let through every day?

Leave a comment:

• VirtualMonkey
    replied
    Thanks Craig. That's what I thought. I've made the agency aware and hopefully they'll deal with it as you said. I have agreat relationship with them so there shouldn't be any issues

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by VirtualMonkey View Post
    Just realised I made the stupid mistake of not changing the VAT to 20% on the first invoice of this year.
    The invoice has been paid so is there a way of re-issuing? Or do I need to write that down as a schoolboy error and learn from it?

Thanks
    LOL, all that money they spent reminding us of it as well. Tut...

I have billed my client for the difference in the past when I mis calculated it and have also invoiced a minus number to fix an over charge once as well. Both were accepted by my client without question. Speak to them and see if they dont mind

Leave a comment:

• Craig@Clarity
    replied
    If the invoice is raised after the 20% rate is applicable (4 Jan) but you charged 17.5% VAT instead, I would say, re-issue the first invoice with 20% and submit this. Your client should then simply pay you the difference. Explain it was a genuine error and hopefully they will be understanding enough.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    I'd just issue a separate invoice for the difference and contact the customer/agency accounts payable department.

Make it clear in the invoice text that it's a correction.

Leave a comment:

• VirtualMonkey
    started a topic Correcting a paid invoice

Correcting a paid invoice

Just realised I made the stupid mistake of not changing the VAT to 20% on the first invoice of this year.
    The invoice has been paid so is there a way of re-issuing? Or do I need to write that down as a schoolboy error and learn from it?

Thanks

Working...
X