• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Was I scammed by a cowboy?"

Collapse

• Pogle
    replied
    Something very similar happened to me, i said I'd get back to him the next morning with an answer after being offered the job at 8pm.
    I called back and he'd given it to someone else- who was cheaper.
    So I called the client and expressed my concerns about being offered the job and then having it rescinded. I was their first choice and they had more contracts coming up so they said they'd keep me in mind.
    1 hr later a seriously pissed off agent called me up

I got another job a couple of weeks later at my highest rate ever.

Leave a comment:

• b00ts
    replied
    Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
    Ahh, it sucks to lose a contract like that but after 15 years you will know that the deal is quite often done in minutes not hours or days. Believe it or not, even today clients often have real trouble finding good people with the right skills and when they get one they want to close the deal immediately.

If you are getting other interviews then it looks like you are a strong candidate in the market so stick with it and you'll be fine. Try not to be bitter with agents, life's too short.

Thanks for the comments. I have chilled out over the weekend and now see it as a learning experience. Next time I'll make sure that deal is closed properly instead of making assumptions which in part led to it slipping through my fingers...

Leave a comment:

• Wanderer
    replied
    Originally posted by b00ts View Post
    Also any advice about taking this further
    Ahh, it sucks to lose a contract like that but after 15 years you will know that the deal is quite often done in minutes not hours or days. Believe it or not, even today clients often have real trouble finding good people with the right skills and when they get one they want to close the deal immediately.

If you are getting other interviews then it looks like you are a strong candidate in the market so stick with it and you'll be fine. Try not to be bitter with agents, life's too short.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    This is a business not a permie job offer, and if you reject the rate you haven´t really said yes, you´ve said no, and then you weren´t around. If you want to negotiate you have to be around, you waited until 11 am, why? you could have rang him or e-mailed him after the interview. Try to see it from their point of view, what would have happened if you didn´t agree to their rate, and in the meantime their second best candidate jumped ship.
    Last edited by BlasterBates; 3 December 2010, 17:04.

Leave a comment:

• b00ts
    replied
    Originally posted by lukemg View Post
    Let it go, agent will be pissing his sides at you getting all upset and wanting to 'make a complaint' - who do you think will care ? You aren't generating revenue and are therefore of no use or interest.
    Most times you would have got away with this delay in responding, turns out they were just as keen on someone else and you got bumped.
    Move on, add layer to skin and get back in the game...
    I get it. Man up and move on. Done that, talking to an agent about a similar opportunity. I don't give a monkey's if the agents are pissing themselves with laughter, they still have to give the illusion of professionalism to their clients and that image can be tarnished. APSCO is an organisation that could be contacted. I'll consider if I can be bothered with it on monday.

Leave a comment:

• Support Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by b00ts View Post
    You are right on most counts. I don't want the contract now as it's possible the client was involved in the decision. My only hope is that they might think twice before trying this again if I make an effort to complain to them and any regulatory bodies they belong to - this might just happen. If we all just sucked it up and moved on nothing would ever change.

But don't worry, I plan to enjoy the weekend! Thanks for all of the advice.
    I re read your post and yes it does sound like a done deal, but as others have said is it worth the hassle and does such a body exist ?

Leave a comment:

• lukemg
    replied
    Let it go, agent will be pissing his sides at you getting all upset and wanting to 'make a complaint' - who do you think will care ? You aren't generating revenue and are therefore of no use or interest.
    Most times you would have got away with this delay in responding, turns out they were just as keen on someone else and you got bumped.
    Move on, add layer to skin and get back in the game...

Leave a comment:

• b00ts
    replied
    Originally posted by Clippy View Post
    What do you hope to achieve by making a complaint against the agent?

A change in the agents behaviour in future?
    Unlikely to happen.

The contract being re-assigned to yourself?
    Definitely won't happen?

Feeling better about the chain of events once you vent to his manager?
    Possibly, but he's probably just as slimy as the agent.

You've vented on here which has made you feel partially better.

To feel completely better, focus on the weekend and assign this incident to history which is what it now is.
    You are right on most counts. I don't want the contract now as it's possible the client was involved in the decision. My only hope is that they might think twice before trying this again if I make an effort to complain to them and any regulatory bodies they belong to - this might just happen. If we all just sucked it up and moved on nothing would ever change.

But don't worry, I plan to enjoy the weekend! Thanks for all of the advice.

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    What do you hope to achieve by making a complaint against the agent?

A change in the agents behaviour in future?
    Unlikely to happen.

The contract being re-assigned to yourself?
    Definitely won't happen?

Feeling better about the chain of events once you vent to his manager?
    Possibly, but he's probably just as slimy as the agent.

You've vented on here which has made you feel partially better.

To feel completely better, focus on the weekend and assign this incident to history which is what it now is.

Leave a comment:

• b00ts
    replied
    Originally posted by Support Monkey View Post
    so it took you from 4pm to 11am to respond, sound to me like you didn't want the job, you were hardly chasing it
    I thought it was a done deal, the client has said yes, I had said yes and I was willing to negotiate on the details so didn't feel the urgency to call him. If I had know the urgency I would have happily woken him up at 2am. It's worth mentioning that the client took 3 days to get back to the agent with the verbal offer and that the agent congratulated me for "hanging on" - shame it was reciprocated.

Leave a comment:

• b00ts
    replied
    Originally posted by craig1 View Post
    How hard were you negotiating? Was that biting into the agent's cut? If so, then you may have been victim to them using any excuse to get someone less willing to negotiate. It's irrelevant for them who gets it if the rate is the same but even a few £ per day extra for the agent can get them acting unethically. I'd not be surprised if the client wanted you but the agent told them you were now "unavailable" and they went with a backup choice.

Easiest way to get your point across? Consider naming and shaming.
    I was asking for an extra £20 per day but I did make it clear that I was willing to negotiate on the rate as I was really keen on working in that country. There was no doubt that I was superkeen on it and he did tell me I was the "strongest candidate" which now stinks to high heaven.

Naming & shaming where? Here or some other place?

Leave a comment:

• Support Monkey
    replied
    so it took you from 4pm to 11am to respond, sound to me like you didn't want the job, you were hardly chasing it

Leave a comment:

• craig1
    replied
    How hard were you negotiating? Was that biting into the agent's cut? If so, then you may have been victim to them using any excuse to get someone less willing to negotiate. It's irrelevant for them who gets it if the rate is the same but even a few £ per day extra for the agent can get them acting unethically. I'd not be surprised if the client wanted you but the agent told them you were now "unavailable" and they went with a backup choice.

Easiest way to get your point across? Consider naming and shaming.

Leave a comment:

• b00ts
    started a topic Was I scammed by a cowboy?

Was I scammed by a cowboy?

I am wondering what sneaky tactics my recent recruitment agent nightmare employed to stiff me. Most of my experiences (15 years) with agents are usually bearable, sometimes nice and rarely bizarre. This is a bizarre one.

I had a telephone interview for a contract in another country. Got given a verbal yes and I responded likewise but wanted to negitiate the rate & agree details like flights.

Anyway I got a call at 4pm from the rectruiment agent and I was in an interview so couldn't respond. I ended up calling him back the following day at 11am. And he tells me he had to give the contract to someone else as he couldn't get hold of me????!???

WTF - Af first I thought this guy is pulling my chain but all he could repeatedly say was "Yeah, sorry but I couldn't get hold of you, I called you, texted you and emailed you" - true but I couldn't reply any sooner and never once did the conscientious fella say how urgent it was to speak to him.

After forcing myself to speak civilly to this guy on several occasssions I had to listen to a few classic lines like...

"What do you want me to do? The job's gone to the other guy, do you want me to call him up and tell he hasn't got a job, how would that make him feel? Put yourself in his shoes?" - I never told him I wanted him to get rid of the other guy but I like the way he's trying to make me feel guilty - nice.

When I said I wanted to put in a complaint about him he said
    " You don't want to burn any bridges mate" ...
    - ha ha, that bridge was blown to smitherines by his dodgy behaviour - what's to burn.

Good to get that off my chest. The impression I got was that the agent was stringing a few of us along and then went with the guy that the client wanted & dropped the rest of us using a variety of excuses - I can't believe they would source a contract based on who they could get hold of in a 4 our working window! Interested in your views.

Also any advice about taking this further - e.g. putting in a complaint with the agency. I am loathed to let this one go as I am convinced this agent has done it before - his attitude was way too casual -what a cowboy - I am sure I could hear his horse neighing in the background of our calls.

Working...
X